Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Deputy Sheriff

Getting sprayed with OC Spray soon! Any tricks to make it not burn so bad?

At my last department we didnt carry pepper spray so i was never sprayed. But at the end of the week i have to take a class, and have the honor of getting sprayed at the end of the day. I know it is going to burn, but are there any tricks i can do to make it not hurt so bad? And what should i bath with when i get home to take it all right off? I have been though a gas chamber and that about killed me. I know OC will be equally as painful in its own way.
    Bad Boys, Bad Boys, whatcha gonna do when i come for you?

Battering Ram of Justice
    I've never tried it, but I've heard that cold milk is good for flushing out your eyes.

Forum Member
    Don't rub your eyes at all,rinse your face with water and baby shampoo real quick and then get in front of a fan...or, don't get sprayed

Forum Member

just open your eyes real wide and enjoy it. it only lasts for 20-30 minutes....

On the level...
    I was recently sprayed in my academy class and scoured all of the cop boards for advice...it all boils down to this:

1. Volunteer to go first...I did and was very happy. This saves you the mental anguish of watching everyone before you freaking out.

2. DO...NOT...RUB...YOUR...EYES...OR...FACE. No matter what.

2.5 Remember to BREATHE!

3. We had all the "remedies"...butter milk, regular milk, decon wipes, etc. The best bet was to immediately spray your face and eyes with FRESH cold water, use a CLEAN towel to PAT dry, blow your nose...and get in front of a fan or face into the wind. You must avoid buckets of water because they will only make things worse. Do NOT use any of the "remedies" listed above.

4. Immediately (right after being sprayed and until you recover)start to "strobe" your eyes. This means closing them as hard as you can and then opening them as wide as you can over and over again. You may even need to use your fingers to force them open. This helps your natural tears flush out the OC that is trapped behind your eyelids.

5. Keep blowing your nose with FRESH paper towels, tissues, whatever.

6. When you are feeling a little better you should wash your face off with a baby shampoo/dawn dish soap mixture and PAT dry. Do this in a sink or at the hose BEFORE you get in the shower.

7. Rememer gravity when showering. That hot stuff may find its way to your little guy if you aren't careful.

8. NEVER get sprayed again!

9. I was sprayed with DEF TEC. Don't believe that it only lasts 30 minutes...be prepared and have a ride home! Don't kill or get killed trying to be macho and driving yourself home.

10. While you are in pain, think about what you wuld do if some bad guy sprayed you...would you shoot?

Hope that helps!

Forum Member

Unless you are one of "the Chosen" that have little or no reaction to OC, prepare yourself for excruciating pain. Just remember, it's only temporary. You WILL lived through it, and know what effect it has on you. It'll probably be something you laugh about.....in about a month!

Forum Member

Talking

I agree with X5150X advice totally.

Remember try to get yourself to go first or second. This OC Class also causes mental anguish for the Officers. Watching the others in your class go before you will only induce that aditional mental anguish for you.

Let's face it, it will be very uncomfortable/painful for awhile, but some guys/gals tend to OVER EXPRESS theirselves way too much, almost to to point of being total ***'s. Tough it out and think about it, you may indeed be the victim of being sprayed by the bad guy or getting the overspray of another Officer trying to save your *** someday while your on a bad call. What are you going to do if your the victim?????? THINK HARD ABOUT IT??????

End of Lesson for the Day.

P.S. I hope someone if going to video tape if for your class, it makes a great video at a shift or Department party.
    Fear is only as deep as the mind allows

Forum Member

When they sprayed our class we were advised to do nothing more than take a clean towel and wipe off the excess then stand facing the wind and enjoy the ride. That was the technique I used, and within 30 mins of my introduction to the "foam from hell" I was fine. General consensus I got from my fellow classmates was that those that did not heed the advice of the instructors and gave in to the temptation of the hose regretted it afterwards.

Another thing to remember is that when you get home and want to shower really hot water is not a good thing in this situation. Also, you might want to stick only your head in the tub first and rinse really well with baby shampoo before getting into the shower. OC residue rinsing over other sensitive area of your body can be equal as unpleasant as your original introduction.
    Say it, Say Car Ramrod!

Forum Member

About ten years ago I was in a room with a guy (well, idiot, actually) who had bought some pepper spray and he wondered (like the idiot that he was) what it smelled like. Needless to say, he sprayed some into the air in a sideways direction which cleared the room. Cold water for about five minutes did took care of most of the discomfort, but I was actually in the opposite direction from the line of fire so it wasn't like I got a real taste of what it would be like.

I don't suppose that little adventure would get me a pass on the spray course if I ever applied to be a cop would it LOL!
    There are some people so disturbed
    that if they donated their brains to
    science it would set psychiatric
    research back fifty years.

Tackleberry
    At MDPD we had OC and CS on the same day.

They started off with CS, which was minor compared to the OC.

OC was no joke, unlike other people, I got hit in the face and actually kept my eyes SHUT while doing all 3 'stations' so I could keep my head level and focus on the tasks at hand, then got walked over to a fan they had setup and with my fingers FORCED the bottom of my eyes open and I was good enough to see clearly in 10 minutes. Not recovered by ANY means, but was functional in 10.

There is no one way to fix it. There is no instant relief. Water WILL NOT HELP, it only makes it burn worse. If they offer a water hose, DO NOT FALL FOR IT. Just go straight to the fans or bring your own.. Time + Wind is the only thing that helps OC go away.

AND REMEMBER WHEN YOU SHOWER, TILT BACK.

Do not shower with the water hitting your face and dripping down...

We had one guy that didn't do that.. and he ran out of the shower doing the 'funky chicken' dance.

Forum Member

Originally posted by x5150x
    I was recently sprayed in my academy class and scoured all of the cop boards for advice...it all boils down to this:

1. Volunteer to go first...I did and was very happy. This saves you the mental anguish of watching everyone before you freaking out.

2. DO...NOT...RUB...YOUR...EYES...OR...FACE. No matter what.

2.5 Remember to BREATHE!

3. We had all the "remedies"...butter milk, regular milk, decon wipes, etc. The best bet was to immediately spray your face and eyes with FRESH cold water, use a CLEAN towel to PAT dry, blow your nose...and get in front of a fan or face into the wind. You must avoid buckets of water because they will only make things worse. Do NOT use any of the "remedies" listed above.

4. Immediately (right after being sprayed and until you recover)start to "strobe" your eyes. This means closing them as hard as you can and then opening them as wide as you can over and over again. You may even need to use your fingers to force them open. This helps your natural tears flush out the OC that is trapped behind your eyelids.

5. Keep blowing your nose with FRESH paper towels, tissues, whatever.

6. When you are feeling a little better you should wash your face off with a baby shampoo/dawn dish soap mixture and PAT dry. Do this in a sink or at the hose BEFORE you get in the shower.

7. Rememer gravity when showering. That hot stuff may find its way to your little guy if you aren't careful.

8. NEVER get sprayed again!

9. I was sprayed with DEF TEC. Don't believe that it only lasts 30 minutes...be prepared and have a ride home! Don't kill or get killed trying to be macho and driving yourself home.

10. While you are in pain, think about what you wuld do if some bad guy sprayed you...would you shoot?

Hope that helps!
    I just got sparyed 1 1/2 weeks ago. All of the secret and special tricks mentioned were tried by some. A few of us did the above, and faired better than most of the people who tried the "tricks". The intense feeling of having a torch to your eyes went away after about 40 mins, after that most were fine, but a few of us had swelling (eyelids), and a minor hangover like sensation for about about day, Ibuprofen helped that feel better.

Forum Member

My advice that I give to recruits when I spray them is to not do anything for the first 5 to 10 minutes except face into the wind or stand in front of a fan. Then, I have them rinse their face with clean, cold water, and go back into the wind. Try to open you eyes as soon as possible, even if you have to use your fingers to do it. Blink as much as you can. DON'T RUB ANYTHING! When you dab your face, use clean towels. Don't use the same towel twice. Remember to breath! Don't hyperventilate, use auto-genic breathing. The important thing to remember is that it's only temporary. It will stop. It just seems like forever.

Forum Member

What if you have moderate asthma and a shot of OC would or could trigger an attack. How does one in an acadamy class deal with this.

Forum Member

Originally posted by AUXOFC74
    What if you have moderate asthma and a shot of OC would or could trigger an attack. How does one in an acadamy class deal with this.
    We have people in our class with Asthma, Diabetis, and one had just gotten over Pnemonia, and they all did fine. The only way to not get sprayed in our class was if you have had recent (within 6 months) laser Eye surgery. I would say just prepare mentally for it more than anything else. We all thought the instructors were pumping us up to how bad it would be, the only way I could describe it last week was it was like meeting the devil face to face. But the real bad part was over within 10 minutes, after that it was moderate to severe for another 20 to 30 minutes, and about 25% of us didn't fully recover until well into the next day.
    Just prepare mentally for the initial shock is what I say.

Forum Member

OC Mindset

I got some good advice from an instructor (after I got sprayed). Don't get into the mindset of OC debilitating you. As an officer, you'll probably get some friendly fire. Even though it hurts to open your eyes, you can do it and still get your job done. Don't think of yourself as helpless once you've been sprayed.

Elaine

Forum Member

I can vouch for the shower / OC rinsing down to the nether regions thing. We got sprayed with the big fire extinguisher size bottle, so they wouldn't waste the ones we actually carried. It's more like an OC shower with that thing, anyway. I don't know that the water made it any worse, but i agree that some people tend to overstate how bad it is. It burns like hell, yeah, but it's not like your mind shuts down from numbing pain or anything. Have one of the guys not getting sprayed yet take some photos, I have a great shot of me just after being sprayed with a huge (forced) grin on my face and about a foot of snot dripping down my face. God I miss the Middle East sometimes!
    Sometimes I look at a person, and I just think, 'That person, right there, is the lowest common denominator.'

Forum Member

Don't shave the day you are going to be getting sprayed!

Deputy Sheriff

Wow.... Ok!?!!

Four of us are getting sprayed tomorrow and they say this is the highest level stuff.
    From what people are saying, as soon as i get sprayed my plan is to start dabbing the infected area with my towel to get it off as much as possible with out smearing it other places. And take it from there.

Ill report back after it happens tomorrow.

Deputy Sheriff

Ok, it wasent THAT bad! At first it feels like a cool mist and a real unique smell that i cant explain, a strong pepperish smell. Two or so seconds later it starts to take affect and your skin and eyes start to burn like a mo fo. The only burning i had was my ears, eye balls, and around my eyes. It burns, but as long as you have a hose pipe to keep your eyes flushed with water your fine until it wears off.
    Everyone appeared to react a little differently though.
    Its really nothing to be nervous about. Really!

Forum Member

oc spray

I put liquid soap on face before I was sprayed. It helps when you wash your face after being sprayed. I am sure cold cream or even some type of make up would prevent the OC from penetrating the skin. As far as your eyes plenty of water. Maybe some eyes drops before hand to wet them.

I don't catch your eye
    Liquid soap? Cold cream? How much prep do you get to do for this? Heck, just put a diver's helmet on before you get sprayed - you'll be fine.

AvgJoe

He who speaks Truth
    "Getting sprayed with OC Spray soon! Any tricks to make it not burn so bad"?

Duck!
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Forum Member

The main reason you get sprayed with OC is so that you'll know the effect it has on you, and be able to respond with the force level appropriate to your disfunction. Putting soap, cold cream or whatever on your face prior to taking the shot, pretty much negates the purpose. (Unless you go on-duty that way!)

Forum Member

After getting sprayed, i wouldnt waste my time on any tricks. Air appeared to be the most effetive treatment.
    You have the right to remain silent....So SHUT THE #%*@ up!

Gang Tactic Mode

Wear sunglasses. That should help.

In all seriousness, when I got sprayed years back, it did not affect me at all. I had my contacts in, since they were old and I was going to toss them later in the day. I even volunteered to take a second shot and same result, didn't feel a thing. I don't know if it was because I was wearing the contacts or just me. I know OC affects each person differently.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last