Forum Member

Mini-crotch rockets?

Has anyone seen these yet? My wife took our kids to Toys R Us the other day and they had a couple guys tooling around on them in the parking lot. These are tiny crotch rocket motorcycles that are usually being ridden by older teenagers. It looks ridiculous, like some kind of circus act.

My wife was trying to explain them to me, but I'd never seen them before. Then she found an article on them in People magazine. Apparently they're the hot new thing in hobbysports right now. Kids are souping them up and racing them on weekends. One guy, in his early 20's, had a few of them and said he liked to ride them around his neighborhood. According to him, the neighbors hated it but, "I don't care, it's not like I'm hurting anybody." I LOVE ticketing people like that -- DV with an MV.

I can't imagine these things are street legal anywhere -- they don't have lights or other safety equipment. But the things can get going up to 40 mph. And you can but them for $150-$300.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

SoCal Expatriate
    I wish they would impound all of them here in SoCal, they are quite a menace riding up and down the sidewalks, etc.

Semper Fi

Around here the name for them has become "pocket rockets". I see them and various other motorized vehicles all the time in my neighborhood with young kids on them. It seems no one pedals anymore, back in my day...

Technology is making me feel old heh.

Forum Member

I'm seeing a bunch of them around the neighborhood. I think because the engines are so small (under so many cc?) that they're not subject to some of the same laws as other motorized bikes. Probably varies.

As an adult, I find them annoying. As a kid, I'm sure I'd be itching to get one.

On the level...
    In Wisconsin they are treated like a regular MV...

but they can't be driven on the road...and if they are, the driver has to have a valid DL...and, this is the best part, they can't be registered but you can write them for non-registration!

No Longer Active

Sold here at Autozone Stores. DEADLY mistake for a parent to make

Road Dog

There are two kinds. The "Pocket Rocket" is a tiny version of a crotch rocket that you can barely sit on but they are fast and there are races. They can be expensive.

There is a larger kind that is actually a moped. 39cc 35 MPH top speed. There is also another moped that looks like a Hog too.

Here you don't need to be licensed to ride a moped just 16 and you have to wear a helmet and eye protection.
    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

King of the mountain
    ALL THE RAGE IN MASS BUT MAJOR HEAD ACHES WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I HAD A SCALED DOWN YSR 50cc THAT LOOKED LIKE A LARGER BIKE BUT WAS ONLY APPROX 3FT HIGH I HAD IT SOUPED UP AND IT DID 75 MPH THIS WAS A REGESTERABLE VERSION AND WAS CONSIDERED THE SAME AS A FULL SIZE BIKE.TO MY KNOWLAGE YOU CAN NOT REGESTER THESE CROTCH ROCKETS HERE AND THEY DONT CLASSIFY AS A MOTORCYCLE BECAUSE OF NO GEARS.HAVENT SEEN ONE ON A PUBLIC ROAD YET
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day,that my child may have peace."
    Thomas Paine

This space for rent

Some moron just died on one while trying to elude the police (in NYC).
    Im currently ignoring ghostsix, Khalid72 & wcucj

Forum Member

THERE ARE ONES THAT GO UP TO 60MPH AND DO HAVE ALL THE LIGHTS AND COST UP TO $1,000. THEY EVEN HAVE HARLEY ONE TOO. THE THING IS, IF THE VEHICLE IS POWERED BY ANYTHING OTHER THAN MAN POWER, IT MUST BE REGISTERED AND INSURED.

TICKET AND TOW.. BUT IT'S ALL IF YOU WANT TO BUST BALLS OR NOT... DISCRETION IS THE KEY HERE, QUIET SLOW TRAFFIC AREAS, COMPARED TO BUSY BUSINESS AREAS...

Forum Member

Could someone post a pic or link so i can see what they look like?
    Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them for a while.

Forum Member

Originally posted by greenlead
    Could someone post a pic or link so i can see what they look like?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...690441814&rd=1

Forum Member

Cool if they're done in non-residential zones. What's the noise level like compared to a normal crotch rocket? I'm assuming higher-pitched and louder?
    I'll believe that when me $hit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.

MadMan

We sell the Mini-Chopper by APC at my work, they are terrible as far as quality goes, we estimate about a 45-50% return rate due to them being poorly constructed.

They sell for 400 Bucks, they have a 43CC engine, lights, turn signals, horn...the works.

Good way to get yourself hurt.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Forum Member

You can't get a feel for how ridiculous these things look until you see a full-size person riding one.
    http://www.pocketrocketracing.com/pages/q_and_a.htm
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Forum Member

my grandparents have and use a scooter, and theese dont' seem much worse then that, besides a little faster. I think the only promblem is it appeals to such a young crowd

This space for rent

Aside from the crowd appeal, these things arent street legal in most places, yet theyre ridden on the street. Its like the gas powered scooters. Not sidewalk, nor street legal, yet guess where they wind up. Invariably its some stupid kid playing chicken with traffic on one too.
    Im currently ignoring ghostsix, Khalid72 & wcucj

Forum Member

Midway between the Rockies and Appalachians
    Sorry, posted in wrong forum.

Road Dog

Don't confuse the pocket rocket (what the pictures here have shown) with a moped that looks like a crotch rocket. The moped is about twice the size of the pocket rocket (but way smaller than the real bike). The moped is street legal here as long as it is the 39cc 35MPH kind.
    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones