Enlarged Member

Drug Interdiction Tools

Anyone know of a book along the lines of the AAA consolidated V&T laws that has the current tint law state by state.

The reason I ask is I am finally working at a barracks that is on a major state highway (that runs between NYC and Buffalo/Rochester) soon to become part of the interstate system when upgrades are complete. Yesterday I had a black lexus with 5% all the way around drive past me at 55 in a 55 when everyone else was doing 60-65... something told me I had to get into that car. Problem was GA plates... at the time I didn't know that GA required 32% light transmittance. I could have stopped the car and at least talked to the occupant(s) had I known there was a violation of the GA law.

I love the cat and mouse game of drug interdiction and hate spending 6 hours on the highway and only comming away with a bowl and $10 of weed. It's days like yesterday that make me wonder if I should have gone down south instead of working in such a liberal state.

nctrooper
    Check out the federal laws regarding transportation. You will find that tint that creates a hazard is illegal. Sort of leaves it up to your discretion, but you could always stop and write out a warning .

Hustler

Re: Drug Interdiction Tools

Originally posted by Trooper4985
    Anyone know of a book along the lines of the AAA consolidated V&T laws that has the current tint law state by state.

The reason I ask is I am finally working at a barracks that is on a major state highway (that runs between NYC and Buffalo/Rochester) soon to become part of the interstate system when upgrades are complete. Yesterday I had a black lexus with 5% all the way around drive past me at 55 in a 55 when everyone else was doing 60-65... something told me I had to get into that car. Problem was GA plates... at the time I didn't know that GA required 32% light transmittance. I could have stopped the car and at least talked to the occupant(s) had I known there was a violation of the GA law.

I love the cat and mouse game of drug interdiction and hate spending 6 hours on the highway and only comming away with a bowl and $10 of weed. It's days like yesterday that make me wonder if I should have gone down south instead of working in such a liberal state.
    Well the whole thing with the tint...i would not bother...I mean they could be military, plus in Maryland we can not cite nor is enough PC to stop somebody for a violation such as tint from another state. Good research though...anyway, i never did drug interdication...but there are some good guys from Maryland and North Carolina that can help u out and teach classes on it...some other people may be able to tell u more...but that is why I did not go State Police for the simple reason of working just highways...

Enlarged Member

Re: Re: Drug Interdiction Tools

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
    in Maryland we can not cite nor is enough PC to stop somebody for a violation such as tint from another state.
    Reciprocity is nice... as long as there is a simular (sp?) violation of the NYS V&T and the home state traffic laws I can stop a vehicle. I wouldn't waste my time writing them if I didn't come up with anything in the car if I established PC to get into the car.

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
    but that is why I did not go State Police for the simple reason of working just highways...
    The NYSP is a rural police agency. We work the entire state, some barracks answer more complaints than others but we all do 'real police work' with the exception of some special assignments... The guys on the T-way don't do complaints nor do our Commercial Vehicle Enforcment Unit (truck guys). I am not Andy Sipowicz nor do I have any aspirations to be. Ask a civilian what they think of when they think of a SWAT unit and they will probably say LAPD SWAT. Ask people in NY about the best police agency... many will tell you that NYSP is the most elite, professional LE organization in NY.

Forum Member

D
    Last edited by Nobody; 06-08-2004 at 08:18 PM.

10-96
    I keep a list of two plate states on my visor, plus in VA there is the tag law that states that anything that covers any portion of a tag is illegal. if it is an out of state plate it's good enough for RS for a stop and inform to make contact. hell, everyone has some sort of tag cover these days (even if it is just a trim cover).

-web
    "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

hcso527
    i wouldnt want to end up in court over a violation from another state. that wouldnt hold up as p.c. in any court. but your a trooper, youve got an entire state to follow someone if you need to in order to find some kind of violation. 9 times out of 10 if i can follow a car a few miles i can find some sort of violation to stop someone. a trick ive seen the interdiction officers here use is kind of ****ty but it gets the results. they will follow a car until it comes up behind another one. then get in the other lane as if they were passing. most times the care will run right up on the rear of the other car waiting for you to get on by and we all know that is called following to closely.