Forum Member

Question About State Police Jurisdiction

Can state police pull you over for speeding and issue a citation in a local town that has its own police department? Just curious...
    "If you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Regis College Campus Police Officer

El Tambor Grande GRANDPA!
    In my state, yes. They are State Police, and have jurisdiction over the entire state.

I never said a thing about a Trooper doing his thing in my town, when I worked those small town gigs. Always glad to see one come around. 9 times out of 10, when a small city cop needs backup, it is a Trooper to answer the call. We always had a GREAT rapport with those folks.
    Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Forum Member

Here in WI we don't have State Police, but the State Patrol has jurisdiction state-wide. When they write a citation, it's written into the municipality where the violation occurred. So I would imagine the municipalities have no problem with it -- citation income without having to pay for an officer.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

In Rhode Island, I know some of the local officers in towns have a minor animosity towards State Police. Obviously if either needs back-up both would be there to help in a second. State police have authority to pull over vehicles anywhere in the state. Mostly State Police patrol the interstate and state roads for traffic violations and accidents. I think its more of a territorial based animosity than a realistic negative attitude towards them..

Forum Member

Here they have statewide powers too. Their superintendant discourages them from patroling much inside larger cities' territories. Not for any reason other than they have enough unincorporated area to be working. In many areas of the state, they are the primary LE because the S.O.'s are so small.
    "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Forum Member

Here NCSHP has statewide authority & can ticket anywhere.
    Train as if your life depends on it.
    Someday it might..........Paul

Forum Member
    i can see ticketing on state high ways, county roads etc,

most city side streets are covered my municipal ordinance,

and the city's adopt the state statutes for the ticket writing

purpose, kinda interesting how things work in different states.

in n.c. who gives the hw patrol power to write on city

streets, that are not county hwys and state roads..?
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Shenanigans.

In NY, the state police do most of the traffic enforcement on state and federal roads, except for NYC. NYSP is almost never seen doing police work inside of NYC.
    If you flame me, the terrorists have won.

Forum Member

I've gotta ask -- what prompted the initial question? It sounds like one of those 'I got a citation and I'm looking for a way out of it' kind of inquiries.

Forum Member

No, I did not get a citation. My friends and I saw a state police cruiser driving on a side street in our town and began talking about their ability to write tickets. We were unsure if a state trooper would pull someone over for speeding on a non-state-owned road.
    "If you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Regis College Campus Police Officer

Littering and...
    Here in MA, the larger the town, the less likely you'll see a statie doing traffic there because of the town's own department will have a traffic unit. The further you get away from Boston, the SP will be in the towns plus the major highways.

Senior Veteran
    Originally posted by SinePari
    Here in MA, the larger the town, the less likely you'll see a statie doing traffic there because of the town's own department will have a traffic unit. The further you get away from Boston, the SP will be in the towns plus the major highways.
    Same holds true here. However, ISP does patrol the inner and outer loop interstates here.

Once you get into rural Indiana, they tend to do more patrol work (as opposed to traffic enforcement) than the troopers patrolling around Indy and up on the Toll Road near Chicago. Many times they are backing up officers of smaller towns or responding as the only LE.

They have statewide jurisdiction.
    Do your best, do what is right, win the fight, go home.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    -whoever the hell said it and however the hell it was said

Billygoats will again rule the world!

http://www.indy.gov/EGOV/IMPD/Pages/home.aspx
    www.humanclock.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/dogs_of_war/900868

Forum Member

Originally posted by FredH
    We were unsure if a state trooper would pull someone over for speeding on a non-state-owned road.
    Gotcha. But unless it's a truly 'private' road, all roads in the state are considered 'state-owned'.

Forum Member

Statwe Police have jurisdiction state wide. Here in New York City N.Y.P.D. enforces in the the City BUT it's not unusual to see a State Trooper in the Borough of the Bronx(N.Y.C.) TICKETING A DRIVER!

Westchester County, especially Yonkers and New Rochelle border the Bronx and quite often Troopers have ticketed drivers in the "City" limits for various offenses. It's perfectly legitimate.

Forum Member

State Police jurisdiction

In Alabama state officers can cite on ANY publicly maintained roadway.State citations are directed to District(county) Court regardless of whether the citation is written in a municipality or not.