No Longer Active

Connecticut State Police - cars.

I took a trip through Connecticut this weekend and noticed something very odd. None of the Connecticut State Police cars are marked. They all have light bars and a little small metal shield attacked tot he *** end of the car that says "State Police"

What gives?

Forum Member
    I'm not quite sure why none are marked. But they take the lightbar and shield off and use them as POVs..

No Longer Active

That's just odd. How is a citizen supposed to know it's a troop car pulling them over and not just some wacko police impersonator?

All CT state police officers have take home vehicles. For obvious reason, its a lot safer to have an UNMARKED car sitting in their drievway when they're not working. I think as far as the impersonating point, when you get pulled over and the officer comes to your door in full uniform, it may not be a question anymore. I can understand the possibility off someone else getting a fake uniform, but i think an officer's safety is much more of a concern than the rare occassion that an officer is impersonated..

Forum Member

When I lived in New England in the 60's CSP cars were unmarked, with 2 little rubber grommets on the front & rear bumpers where they could put the little blue shield. We would speed down the Interstate, right until you reached the CONN border! Then, it was low & slow until you came out the other side. No one would speed in that state!

I recall seeing a guy speed past a white 2 door, Mustang IIRC. The driver put on his 'smokey' hat, flipped down his visor (which had his lights on it), got a HUGE grin, and took off after him. Everyone else drove even slower!
    Last edited by Sleuth; 03-30-2004 at 11:53 AM.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Forum Member

Sounds like the great state I call home...haha.

The only other way that you can tell that a CSP is behind you is that at night the center of their lightbar remains lit and says "State Police" so that you can see them behind you.

The Mustang comment is funny b/c they still have a Mustang as well as a few other cars now. Hartford also has a Mustang that they use.

Good advice...don't speed through CT though all the residents of CT speed...the speed traps that they set up are killers. Back last summer they set up something called Operation Catepillar I believe it was called. They would pick a stretch of highway and place a trooper every mile for 10 miles or so to catch speeders who would think that once they got past the first car that they were safe

Forum Member

The Penn State police I think has the record for a speed trap. Once agin, this was in the 60's. There is a long, downhill straightaway on the PA Pike. They had an officer obviously running radar on the first 1/3 of the straightaway. I thought this was suspicious, so I stayed below the limit, and sure enough, around the gentle bend at the end of the downhill was one officer running radar, and ten or more officers pulling people over. They had about 20 cars waiting for their tickets as I drove (slowly) by.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 04-01-2004 at 10:48 AM.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by Sleuth
    The Penn State police I think has the record for a speed trap. Once agin, this was in the 60's. There is a long, downhill straightaway on the PA Pike. They had an officer obviously running radar on the first 1/3 of the srtaightaway. I thought this was suspicious, so I stayed below the limit, and sure enough, around the gentle bend at the end of the downhill was one officer running radar, and ten or more officers pulling people over. They had about 20 cars waiting for their tickets as I drove (slowly) by.
    I don't know about PA, but in NY that's illegal.