NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Do any LEO's get to make their own schedules?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HEDP
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2008

Do any LEO's get to make their own schedules?

Our department schedule is based monthly and as officers we are allowed to make our own schedules. Days make be tweaked here or there to accommodate minimums, but usually most people get what they want.

I was told that we are the only department in the nation that has this type of schedule. I wasn't so sure that that was the case.

Are any of you, or do you know anyone who is allowed to make their own schedules?

• just joe
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2006

Never heard of such a thing.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
      Senior Veteran
      • Aug 2007

That is pretty rare.

A friend of mine once worked for a 1 man department. He made his own schedule with the approval of the town council.
      I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• dontknowwhy
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by just joe
        Never heard of such a thing.
        Same.
        Originally posted by Ceridwen
        Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

• FireInside
          ^ One Man Wolf Pack.
          • Jul 2007

Only our resident Deputies can set their schedules.

Comment

• Jiu-Jitsu Cop
            Surfing Socal
            • Aug 2006

What happens when no one picks graveyards working weekends?
            Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

• ryker
              nom de plume
              • Sep 2009

trying to 123546987
              Last edited by ryker; 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM.
              Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

• Mr. Green
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2009

At my Border Patrol station we were assigned a shift if we were under three years. After three years we could select a shift for up to nine months at a time, and for the most part, regardless of seniority, we got to select our own days off. Most of the time you got what you want. Every once in a while the junior guys on the shift would get screwed, but the supervisors I worked with were pretty good about accommodating people.
                The only thing I hear when you say anything is "blah blah blah I'm a dirty whore".

Originally posted by Michigan
                I don't want to sound gay...

But I'd do him.
                Do you like airplanes and aviation??JOIN http://forums.officer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20

My goal is to have the longest most annoying signature line ever.

Comment

• Dingo990
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2010

Like others have said, probably very rare for any entire department. Though, out of all the departments in the country, I would doubt you are the only one. Someone was probably speaking with a bit of hyperbole. I know of people in specialized units that tend to make their own schedule based around department needs (such as traffic, community officers, ect). At my department we have like 10 different schedules we can bid, so it's hard to not get exactly what you want if you are close to the top of the bidding. If an officer really needs an odd schedule or to work hours not on one of the biddable schedules, the department will do it's best to rearrange things a bit, but no promises.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                  That is pretty rare.

A friend of mine once worked for a 1 man department. He made his own schedule with the approval of the town council.

I did that for about a year. I basically came and went when I pleased as long I as got 80 hours in every two weeks. City council actually liked the idea of no one knowing when I was going to be there. They just asked that weekends were covered a few times a month and I went to city council meetings. Nice making your own schedule, but doing the small town thing is whole different bag of worms.
                  Last edited by Dingo990; 11-23-2010, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• Scott941
                    (Negative 29...)
                    • Jan 2007

Any openings?

Comment

• L-1
                      • Jun 2004

In the station I retired from, officers assigned to each shift were allowed to designate their own working days and days off for the month based on seniority. Officers at the top got whatever they wanted, including stacking all of their working days in a row, followed by all of their days off in a row. Officers with the lowest seniority basically had to work their schedule around what was left. When you factor in that minimum staffing levels had to be maintained, the guys at the bottom wound up with horrible work schedules.

One senior sergeant routinely took all of his work days in a row during the first of the month, followed by all of his days off. In the following month he would take all of his days off in a row first, followed by all of his work days. When you factor in that we were working the 3/12 plan, he was gone for weeks at a time.

I thought the whole thing sucked, but that's the way the union negotiated it. As long as minimum staffing levels were met, the department went along with it.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• towncop
                        RETIRED
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by L-1
                        In the station I retired from, officers assigned to each shift were allowed to designate their own working days and days off for the month based on seniority. Officers at the top got whatever they wanted, including stacking all of their working days in a row, followed by all of their days off in a row. Officers with the lowest seniority basically had to work their schedule around what was left. When you factor in that minimum staffing levels had to be maintained, the guys at the bottom wound up with horrible work schedules.

One senior sergeant routinely took all of his work days in a row during the first of the month, followed by all of his days off. In the following month he would take all of his days off in a row first, followed by all of his work days. When you factor in that we were working the 3/12 plan, he was gone for weeks at a time.

I thought the whole thing sucked, but that's the way the union negotiated it. As long as minimum staffing levels were met, the department went along with it.
                        That's got to be one of suckiest schedules I have ever heard of.
                        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

• ernie9163
                          Forum Member
                          • Oct 2010

as a reserve i set my own schedule not im at the mercy of the brass

Comment

• L-1
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by towncop
                            That's got to be one of suckiest schedules I have ever heard of.
                            I agree.

What made it worse was the sergeant I mentioned who banded all of his days off together at the last of the one month and the first of the next month and was gone for weeks at a time. Whenever he did this, he always missed due dates for any projects he had that fell within the multi week day off period. When we pointed out that he missed his due dates, he just shrugged his shoulders and pointed out that he had been officially granted those days (weeks) off and believed that if his due dates fell within the days off, he didn't have to meet them. (Arrrrggghhh!)

I am sooooooo glad I am retired.
                            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• HEDP
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop
                              What happens when no one picks graveyards working weekends?

Everyone is already permanently assigned to their precinct and watch ie. Daywatch, moddlewatch and dogwatch. We just choose what days we want to work.

It is recommended that you work 2 weekends a month so no one gets screwed. Although sometimes you may not work 2 weekends for various reasons. And it usually goes by seniority if their is conflicts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19381 users online. 18 members and 19363 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...