Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Uniforms

So close...

Uniforms

Okay, you guys/gals may think this is a stupid question but I was just visiting florida and noticed some of the officers wearing uniforms that were half green or completely green. I think they were deputies. I had never seen a green uniform before. What kinds/colors of uniforms does everyone else wear and for what kind of department?

Forum Member

In the county where I worked in Oregon, the deputies wear green uniforms too. First time I'd ever seen it either. Most deputies in this state wear brown. All PD's I know of wear blue or black.
    Last edited by retdetsgt; 11-22-2003 at 10:50 PM.
    "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Forum Member
    Lots of Florida Deputies wear green uniforms. Others (such as BSO and Hillsborough SO) wear green pants and white shirts.

Most departments around here wear blue Blauer Street Gear or other BDU type uniforms. Instead of wearing metal badges and nametags, cloth badges and embroidered nametags are worn. KSP's uniform is gray.

And what's this about taking a trip to Florida and not bringing me with you???

Senior Veteran

Tan shirts, green pants.
    Retired

Forum Member

Originally posted by retired
    Tan shirts, green pants.
    Polka dot underwear?
    "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Forum Member

in fla most city police wear dark blue while deputies wear some sort of green like green shirt and pants or white shirt/green pants or gray shirt/green pants. there's no state standard though. the individual departments can pick their own colors. i know st petersburg cops wear light green shirts and dark green pants and fort lauderdale used to wear dark brown shirts and light brown pants up until a few years ago. real ugly colors if you ask me but to each his own.

Forum Member

Gray shirts and Black pants with black stripe. for the Pa Department of Corrections. Basicly the same as Pa State Troopers except they have black shoulder straps and pocket lids.

Forum Member

Here in Arkansas-No standard most are:
    Brown pants and Department choice on shirts for SO
    Blue or black pants and matching shirt for PD
    Navey pants a light blue shirt for ASP
    "If your not cheating your not playing, if you caught cheating then your not playing hard enough."

No Longer Active

NYPD Blue Shirt with NYPD blue pants.

Forum Member

French blue pants, navy shirt.
    Law abiding citizens sleep peacefully in their beds solely because dedicated men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

STORM THE CASTLE!
    ewwwww anytme your pants are lighter color then your shirt ew....and worse the piping on the pants like the yellow on black of Secret Service uniform division. OR like french blue eppalets,tie,and pocket flaps on a dark shirt just plain icky!
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Forum Member

**Not A Handler**

PD - Navy blue shirt and pants

K9

So close...

Thanks guys!

And sorry Patrick...I won't let it happen again

El Tambor Grande GRANDPA!
    A jockstrap and feathers!

Just kidding.

Most PD's wear navy blue, but a few are starting to go to black BDU style, with embroidered name tags.

Statewide, sheriff departments wear tan shirts with green trousers.

For special duty in the summer months, the PD here may wear blue shorts and a white polo shirt.
    Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Forum Member

grey shirt/green pants for us

our state police is black/black

the counties are a variety of colors
    He who laughs last.......thinks slowest

Semper Fi

The colors around my area...

Memphis Police Department: navy pants and shirt.
    Bartlett Police Department: black pants and shirt.
    Shelby County Sheriff Deputies: dark green pants, tan shirt.

For the MPD, the senior ranks (not sure what rank this starts at, maybe Major) wear a white shirt.
    Last edited by Turner; 11-23-2003 at 01:54 PM.

Getting paid to play!
    Bart... have to correct you about something. Was doing research and found out that there are state guidelines for uniforms.

PD's must wear dark navy blue (exception -- plain clothes and tac units)

SO must wear green pants. They have the option of a white shirt or a green one. I personally like the dark green as well. The exception to this would be Miami Dade, and the brown. I am not sure why they have the exception, but the do.

At my PD, we wear Navy Blue. Shirts and pants. We have our reqular metal badge, and a metal nametag. I wish our chief would entertain the idea of getting the name embroidered (sp?) on our shirts. Would be much better. You would not have to worry about those little pins coming lose, and your tag falling off. He likes the metal with the "serving since" thing. Our bicycle officers can wear navy pants or shorts, and a white polo style shirt.

Our tac unit wears black BDU's with black shirts that say POLICE on both the front and the back. Chief will not allow road patrol to wear that, as he thinks it is not community friendly, and is a bad image.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Forum Member

Originally posted by sflcop
    Bart... have to correct you about something. Was doing research and found out that there are state guidelines for uniforms.

PD's must wear dark navy blue (exception -- plain clothes and tac units)

thats news to me. where did you find this info? if its true, there's a few city pd's here in fla that are violating that standard. city of st pete (green), jacksonville SO (navy), city of daytona beach (grey), palm bay (light blue) just to name a few that i can think of off of the top of my head.

Forum Member

We wear tan pants with a brown service stripe and brown shirts. This is pretty much standard within WI for Sheriff's Offices. I've only seen one SO not wearing some blend of brown/tan or all brown, and they wear navy blue. We have a committe which is testing different black uniforms for our use. So far we have tried Elbecco Tactical Twill and Blauer StreetGear. The black uniforms have been VERY well received, but there is no guarantee that a change will be made.

The PD's in my county all wear navy blue or black, with all but two wearing some sort of cargo pants on duty. The WSP uses navy shirts and blue/grey pants with navy pants.
    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Forum Member

On the topic of the state standard uniforms...

There is no state requirements in WI. However, I do remember hearing that about FL and their requirements. I know that J-ville gets around the requirement because they are a metro department in that they were formed by a merger of the J-ville PD and the county sheriff. IIRC, there is also a requirement that FL SO's car's must be a combination of white/green as well. Its interesting to note that other states, Ohio for instance, have standardized uniforms and cars for all Sheriff's in their state. IIRC, michigan also has some standardization. IN, I've heard, also has standardized patches and uniforms amongst their state sheriffs.

I really like looking at the uniform variety around the country. Its interesting that in some areas appearance is so important that agencies will severly hamper functionality to be good looking. Yet other areas are so relaxed and militaristic looking.
    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Forum Member

Black on black for a PD here in NC
    -do your job, do it right, win the fight, go home!

Forum Member
    The uniform our members wear for General Duties is:
    - khaki grey shirt (short sleeved or long-sleeved with dark blue tie);
    - dark blue pants with yellow cavalry stripe;
    - dark blue cloth top with yellow ventilated centre band military-style cap with black patent leather peak (or beaver/muskrat fur hat for winter);
    - black ankle boots (or insulated waterproof boots);
    - dark blue jacket (or hi-visibility yellow for traffic duties, or dark blue hooded parka for winter).

My Force provides Federal, Provincial (State) (every Province except Ontario and Quebec) and Municipal (where the Municipality has a contract with us to do so) Policing Services all across Canada.
    1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29: RCMP RM 32936. Just callin' 'em as I sees 'em! PM full - e-mail me. House paid, best health of my life, 33+ years married to the same hot woman, triple-dipping, lots of grand-kids, long dark luxurious hair - yep, retired is EXCELLENT!

Forum Member

Navy blue top and bottom. No stripes on the trousers.

Wife's is navy blue top and bottom with yellow piping on the trousers and the silver decorative buttons on the shirt.

I don't know what color it is in the crayon box, but the state troopers wear something akin to a dark tan with a red/blue stripe.

IMHO the LAPD has the best uniform. No patches, just a badge and LAPD buttons.

Among the worst:
    - Bexar County (San Antonio) S.O. with brown pants and a french blue shirt

- Minnesota State Police...are those pants maroon?

- Any department whose pants are lighter than the shirt (South Bend PD, Michigan State Police, etc)

And of course many of the small towns and sheriff's office don't have a uniform, usually jeans and a collared button down shirt and a shield.
    "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Trouble
    The question's been answered and re-answered but to add a something interesting... I just heard a couple of days ago that the agencies in FL that do not wear "blues" have to pay a fine to FDLE every year. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it just came up in roll call discussion last week so, since we're on the subject, I figured I'd pass it along.
    I do not follow blindly the orders of my superiors, but rather employ that philosophy whereby I do as they would have told me to had they known what they were talking about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last