NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Looking for your candor about San Francisco Bay area agencies.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CAprotectNserve
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2013

Looking for your candor about San Francisco Bay area agencies.

Copied from Meet & Greet

Hello All,

First and foremost, I'm delighted to say I've gained a tremendous amount of insight from many of the contributors to this board. I've been perusing the forums here for some time and sincerely thank those who have shared their experience and knowledge.

I presume it's a good idea to share some things about myself and what I would like to accomplish. If roles were reversed, I personally would want some background on the civilian asking for advice.

I'm stepping into the textbook definition of a career change. My professional career thus far (I use the term career lightly) has been in project management for specialty trades. For the better part of the last decade, I've been hopping around the country from project to project continuously being chased by the feeling I've missed my calling.

Having an A type, being in my mid 30's, and maintaining good physical health assures me I don't have to entirely miss my calling. I'm just a little late answering the call. Yet, I know my professional and life experience gives me an advantage over a 21 year old with little to none.

As the title suggests, I'm actively looking for your opinions about Bay Area agencies. Presently, I am subscribing to the philosophy of "take the first offer" that comes along. With a wife and 3 small children, this is a cancel anytime subscription.

Regardless, I'm committed to a career in Law Enforcement. I've gained the support of my wife, friends in local, and have always held the profession in high regard.

I am currently in the preliminary hiring process with 3 East Bay agencies. As of today, I've taken 2 PATs, the PELLETB, and expect to be scheduled for orals with one agency very soon. Two of these agencies are large and one is a great medium size department. I've also been considering applying in the Peninsula as well as the South Bay.

I've heard a lot of reasons to steer clear of certain agencies from more than one officer. Not so much because of the job, but because of administrative issues that boil down to a lack of support for cops.

Setting the bureaucracy and politics aside, I believe the more important thing is the camaraderie among those who will inherently have to cover me and me cover them. I'm not so naive to think there is an agency comprised of human beings where it's all one big happy family. However, I do want to be a part of one that is functionally healthy and supportive. After all, I don't plan on leaving an agency until I retire. That's at least 25 years away.

To encourage as much participation as possible, I've created a pole to tally the best overall rating for agencies. With that, I kindly ask that as many people as possible chime in with comments as well. Please name agencies, their strengths, and why you feel it's an ideal place for someone like myself or any prospective recruit, lateral, etc.

Again, thanks to all!
    j
    Alameda County Sheriff
    28.00%
    San Francisco Police Department
    40.00%
    Contra Costa County Sheriff
    4.00%
    California Highway Patrol
    4.00%
    San Jose Police Department
    0.00%
    Oakland Police Department
    4.00%
    Hayward Police Department
    4.00%
    *Other East Bay Agency
    4.00%
    *Other Peninsula Agency
    8.00%
    *Other South Bay Agency
    4.00%
  • Kelvan37
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2011

Contra Costa county sheriff's office. Decent place to work but pay is 2/3 of other agencies. Morale is very low. Steer clear imo.

aside from sjpd, other southbay agencies have good morale. Each city in the county is different so think about where you want to push a patrol car for 15+ years.

Comment

• RGDS
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2009

Other SMC/SCC agencies? SMH

CoCo County is very low paid, but then again that is the cheapest county to live in around the BA.

I think San Mateo County is the highest paid with decent benefits. They have 5 contract cities and the jail. It is a pretty good place to work.

San Jose is the biggest city between Los Angeles and the Oregon Border. Their moral is ****. Rumor has it they think the Sheriff (who is fighting a serious re-election battle...which she may actually lose) will take over their department. Look to the south bay as a rising powerhouse. Even San Francisco is starting to call itself Silicon Valley, which is a huge joke but that is another story.

In all seriousness, consider looking at BART PD. they pay well, have good benefits, and no they are not being disbanded. They are getting bad press right now, but trust me that will change. They are a tight-knit group with a truly unique mission.

You also left out SF Sheriffs (who, despite popular belief are 830.1(a)). Ross the Boss won't be Sheriff forever and they are growing (yes, via toughen indents).
      semper destravit

Comment

• ateamer
        Salty Dog
        • Aug 2000

Stay away from SJPD. Their pay and pension sucks, their staffing is dangerously low. They used to be one of the best agencies anywhere, but the cuts have hurt them badly.

Santa Clara PD is an excellent department but difficult to get hired with, and possibly the highest-paid PD west of Long Island. Sunnyvale also has a top reputation, but you have to be a firefighter as well.

Santa Clara SO doesn't seem too bad. The guys I know who work there are happy. The sheriff herself is a total politician but as a patrolman, that has very little effect on you. By the time you're promotable, she'll be gone.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

• HockeyFan87
          Units standby 4 the tone
          • Jun 2008

Life on the peninsula is good! San Mateo County takes an aggressive stance on crime, great DA's office, good pay/benefits and a few agencies encourage good old fashioned old school, proactive cop work...this is especially true the closer you get to that foggy town in north county.
          Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
          Ronald Reagan

Comment

• LeeRoy
            Retired! Not.
            • Mar 2000

Interesting that SFPD is leading the poll. It's the most unique agency around and very old school. I have friends there who really like it. I also know people who have lateraled there, found it to be too different, and returned home. SFPD takes care of their own but some of their internal habits (read about fajitagate) are a little too old school for me.

Setting the bureaucracy and politics aside, I believe the more important thing is the camaraderie among those who will inherently have to cover me and me cover them.

I think you can find camaraderie in any agency in the bay area. The problem is leadership issues and politics sometimes make it no fun to come to work. Once you get a couple of years on you get enough seniority to steer towards the shifts, co-workers, and sergeants who you prefer to work with.

I chose the CHP because of the ability you have to leave the Bay Area when you are ready to start setting yourself up for retirement somewhere. No agency is perfect. The CHP is a little bureaucratic and they are a little silly sometimes with some of their special assignments (They have a boat unit - don't get me started). Their size sometimes leads to difficulty in getting some progressive change (I think they are one of the only agencies in the state still carrying S&W pistols).

I also would pass on recommendation that you look at the peninsula agencies as well but avoid the small agencies if you can. You want to go somewhere with some variety. San Mateo SO, with five contract cities right now, has some very cool options.

I cannot endorse BART at this time. I have good friend as well as a close relative who are cops there. It's not a bad place to work but I think they have a ways to go and the fallout from their two accidental shootings is going to continue for sometime. I'm sure Tom Smith's death will not be in vain and a top to bottom review of advanced officer training is coming.

I recommend you look at all the agencies in the 150-200 officer range. I can't think of one in the Bay Area, except for BART, where I wouldn't want to work.

Good luck in your search.
            If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

• RGDS
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2009

If you want to avoid politics/lack of admin support, I will give you this:Inside the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office both the Santa Clara Co Deputy Sheriffs Association (DSA) and the Correctional Peace Officers Assoc. (CPOA) endorsed the other candidate (Ret. Captain Kevin Jensen). The DSA had a 90.4% vote of support and CPOA had 100%. Those are incredible numbers, but know that a good amount of people did not vote. That department is in a civil war right now.

It sounds like you are getting more involved with the East Bay agencies. Both SCCSO and SMCSO are looking at hiring at least a hundred people (each) over the next couple of years. It is you choice though. I can guarantee you that Peninsula/South Bay Agencies are going to be wealthier than East or North Bay Agencies.
              semper destravit

Comment

• CAprotectNserve
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2013

Thanks for all of your replies. I've recently completed 2 orals and presume all is well with both, anticipating I will be moving onto backgrounds soon.

I've got to ask... Everyone I speak with about OPD tells me to steer clear. Call me altruistic and naive, but us there anyone who can share some positives about them?

Also, San Fran and ACSO have the lead in the poll. Are there any officers and or deputies that call either agency home and can offer some insight into the current 2014 culture.

Thanks!

Comment

• CA Cop
                  Forum Member
                  • Jun 2005

ACSO, you have to work as a jailer for at least 5+ years before you get to patrol.

I'm northern CA, the agency with the most job & promotional opportunities, specialized assignments is the SFPD. You go directly to patrol after the academy, with 10 district stations each which are larger than most agencies in the Bay Area.

We've taken hundreds of laterals from the Bay Area and beyond, what does that tell you?

Comment

• rsb
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2012

SF is a great place to work. Good people, good bosses, beautiful city. There are downsides but all in all I think it'd be hard to beat.

Comment

• PD_mike
                      Forum Member
                      • Apr 2013

Check out Fremont PD. We work 4 on and 4 off in patrol plus one hour a day to work out on the clock. Decent pay and benefits and we have almost 20 openings for a 180 authorized sworn department.

Comment

• FlyingPig1
                        Forum Member
                        • Sep 2010

I did not see it listed, but one that always gets overlooked is East Bay Regional Parks Police.

Comment

• Sierra259
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by CAprotectNserve
                          San Fran
                          Nobody should ever call SF by that name.

Expand your search, as there are many places in CA that are not LA or the Bay Area.

Comment

• CAprotectNserve
                            Forum Member
                            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Sierra259
                            Nobody should ever call SF by that name.
                            I apologize for my indiscretion.

As for looking elsewhere, I have to stay focused in the Bay Area because of my family situation. With limited resources and three young children it's difficult to consider relocating or commuting more than an hour. We're smack dab in the middle of the Bay Area.

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
                              One Night In Bangkok
                              • Dec 2004

US Mint Police.....
                              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26914 users online. 71 members and 26843 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...