X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BaylorBearSW
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2008

Is it just me or...

...are Personal History Statements getting ridiculous these days? I have seen several in the past few weeks just from browsing places I wouldn't mind working that are 50-70 pages in length.
    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
    -Sun Tzu
  • Chip25
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2011

I prefer departments to be more stringent in their application process. If filling out more paperwork isn't for you then apply somewhere else.

Comment

• BaylorBearSW
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2008

I do understand being thorough, and don't mind doing paperwork since I do plenty of it at my department now. I don't understand why the department needs to know all my neighbors, their dates of birth, work address, how long they have been there and what type of cars they drive. I also understand why departments want to know how much my wife and I make and how much our bills are but I don't understand why they want to know my checking account number, address to my bank, name, address and account number to everyone I make payments to monthly, every credit card I have ever applied for, every credit reference I have EVER had, if I have ever applied for in-store credit at a department store, etc... If they pull a credit report they will see all that information and see that I pay my bills, or that I don't pay my bills. I understand wanting to know where I have been the last 10 years and what I have been doing but I don't see the point of knowing that information (10 year residence history, last 5 years of employment) for my brother and sister who live on the complete opposite border than I do and has no bearing on who I am or what I've done.

Again like I said, I understand being thorough but it's getting to the point where it is not just a background investigation on me anymore.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
      -Sun Tzu

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Senior Veteran
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by BaylorBearSW
        I do understand being thorough, and don't mind doing paperwork since I do plenty of it at my department now. I don't understand why the department needs to know all my neighbors, their dates of birth, work address, how long they have been there and what type of cars they drive. I also understand why departments want to know how much my wife and I make and how much our bills are but I don't understand why they want to know my checking account number, address to my bank, name, address and account number to everyone I make payments to monthly, every credit card I have ever applied for, every credit reference I have EVER had, if I have ever applied for in-store credit at a department store, etc... If they pull a credit report they will see all that information and see that I pay my bills, or that I don't pay my bills. I understand wanting to know where I have been the last 10 years and what I have been doing but I don't see the point of knowing that information (10 year residence history, last 5 years of employment) for my brother and sister who live on the complete opposite border than I do and has no bearing on who I am or what I've done.

Again like I said, I understand being thorough but it's getting to the point where it is not just a background investigation on me anymore.
        I would have no idea why any agency would want to know that much info on a relative................that's stupid. The neighbors............they wouldn't get that information from me because I don't even know the names of my neighbors. Their investigator can find all that out

But to be honest---------------no agency wants to be "the one" that hires the next
        Drew Peterson and most chief's want a thorough background done. Some places get obsessive about it. I guess I wouldn't be applying to those agencies.

The "paperwork" problem is undoubtedly one of the reasons some people drop out of the process after taking out applications. They realize how much info is wanted and decide they aren't interested
        I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

This profession has become so f'ed and retarded. Personally I think it should be illegal to be able to ask all that info.

If my neighbor asked me for personal info like that I would tell him to get bent.

Comment

• MILCOP73
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2013

Amen to that. Really intrusive, and shifting the onus onto other people rather than the applicant. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. You get to know most everything about me, but not every single person I have ever associated with.

Comment

• BaylorBearSW
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2008

List neighbors that live on both sides of your current residence and previous or permanent
              residence. If you don't know your neighbors, meet them. If a house or apartment is empty, make a notation. This section must be complete.
              This is what one of them says about neighbors, this one isn't quite as intrusive but still.

-Sun Tzu

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                Senior Veteran
                • Aug 2007

This is what one of them says about neighbors, this one isn't quite as intrusive but still.
                yea....................I wouldn't be applying there
                I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• crashv119
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2012

I live in a very rural setting and don't have any neighbors within a mile in any direction. Absolutely absurd.

Comment

• MILCOP73
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2013

Meet them?! What if I don't want to!? Why doesn't the BI go meet them if he's so excited about them. Geez Louise.

Comment

• -Erik-
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2007

They can be as ridiculous as that PD chooses. They are the ones offering employment.

My only wish is that more applications could be online or computer friendly. Especially some of the longer ones.
                      This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

• BaylorBearSW
                        Forum Member
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by -Erik-
                        They can be as ridiculous as that PD chooses. They are the ones offering employment.

My only wish is that more applications could be online or computer friendly. Especially some of the longer ones.
                        I agree with you 100% on that. I wish the PHS could be done online. The department won't have an issue of if they can read it or not, a crap load of paper work laying around, etc... Seems like wouldn't be too hard to do something where it asks you the yes or no questions, you click yes, it adds a spot to type in your explanation. Same with employment and residences, it can be done with electronic applications, just move that over to the electronic personal history statement. BUT like Erik said, it's their job that I am applying for either I can provide the information or not apply.

Just looked at another PHS from another PD and it wants to know what magazines I read, my favorite book, favorite movie, and a list of shows on my DVR. Won't be applying there either.

-Sun Tzu

Comment

• Jacob2899
                          College Student
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by MILCOP73
                          Meet them?! What if I don't want to!? Why doesn't the BI go meet them if he's so excited about them. Geez Louise.
                          What if your neighbors are serial killers and they kill you when you knock on their door?

Ever notice how when a serial killer is captured, the media always interviews the neighbors of the killer. How are the neighbors alive when they lived next to a serial killer for five years? It's because they minded their own business and didn't bug the serial killer. Leave your neighbors alone. If you hear a chainsaw at 2am, keep it to yourself. If you hear a woman screaming, maybe she just discovered she won the lottery. Don't bug your serial killer neighbor.

Besides, there's no reason to knock on your neighbor's door to "meet them". They already know a lot about you, and you know a lot about them. You live next to each other. You watch each other cut the grass. You watch each other walk down the end of the driveway to the mailbox. You watch other walk the dog.

Last edited by Jacob2899; 08-09-2013, 12:07 AM.
                          "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Comment

• toledos
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2010

I just saw this exact quote on a PHS for... well... Texas (I'm sure you know where )

I've always heard good things about that particular city, don't know if this is enough of a reason to pass them up so easily.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                              Senior Veteran
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Jacob2899

Besides, there's no reason to knock on your neighbor's door to "meet them". They already know a lot about you, and you know a lot about them. You live next to each other. You watch each other cut the grass. You watch each other walk down the end of the driveway to the mailbox. You watch other walk the dog.
                              I know virtually NOTHING about my neighbors. The only reason I even know their names is when I look the address up in the plat book.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26046 users online. 65 members and 25981 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...