Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By IAM Rand
  • 1 Post By sapper324

Thread: Any ideas on Maintenance costs for an MRAP ?

Forum Member

Any ideas on Maintenance costs for an MRAP ?

Local village Police Dept got one, village of 834 residents, "free" from the govt.

I would guess the ENTIRE dept would fit in it all at once.

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Forum Member
    can't be too much. Just take it to Jiffy Lube or Grease Monkey. Gotta be one near by.
    HI629 likes this.
    "Don't make perfect the enemy of good."

There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

Frederick Douglass

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IAM Rand View Post
    can't be too much. Just take it to Jiffy Lube or Grease Monkey. Gotta be one near by.
    Well I was thinking more about other parts that might need changed now and then. Buddy on a dept down in FL showed pictures of an older generation of similar device they had, it sat out back on flat tires, moldering into scrap. Just putting a single tire on one might be a huge expense for all I know ??

And there is some weird stuff like having to pull an engine to change the oil (original Abrams tank?)

Bill

Tmg
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by willbird View Post
    Local village Police Dept got one, village of 834 residents, "free" from the govt.

Bill
    The most valuable person in a police department is a good grant writer.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tmg View Post
    I'm guessing it was offered TO them, they said the offer "came about suddenly" and I am NOT joking that the whole dept could fit in the thing, I used to work over there (Edon, OH) and my impression was they had one officer per shift, and a Chief and maybe a few other sworn.

I'm guessing it was an MRAP because those are the ones the govt is giving away, too big for many places there would be a need for them, and at 14 tons they say 72% of the worlds bridges cannot handle one.

Apparently on open "highways" in sandbox places the guys liked them because they were pretty tough.

But only three fit in a C130 and that ends up costing like $150k EACH to get one to the sandbox where it is needed.

Bill

Forum Member

It depends on the variant of MRAP but they are all somewhat close. The average cost is around $60k a year, but this is what the DoD is paying contractors overseas in an environment where they are being used heavily.

The hard part would be finding someone who knew how to do things like change the oil or a tire on one. They aren't as simple as a crown vic and require special tools, parts and knowledge to keep them going.

Tmg
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LandGuppy View Post
    The hard part would be finding someone who knew how to do things like change the oil or a tire on one. They aren't as simple as a crown vic and require special tools, parts and knowledge to keep them going.
    Its not that hard. Its just an international commercial vehicle.

You figure these thing will only be driven a couple hundred miles a year (if that). Maintenance shouldn't be much due to the lack of miles put on them. If they were smart then will cover up the tires to prevent sun cracking.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

I see dumb people...
    The maintenance on the MRAP is measured in the gazillions.
    MAC

Forum Member

Its not that hard. Its just an international commercial vehicle.

You figure these thing will only be driven a couple hundred miles a year (if that). Maintenance shouldn't be much due to the lack of miles put on them. If they were smart then will cover up the tires to prevent sun cracking.
    You haven't spent too much time in a military vehicle motor pool have you? Vehicles "sitting" in a garage or rarely driven develop all kinds of problems.
    Tom S likes this.

It's Complicated
    I'm guessing it was offered TO them, they said the offer "came about suddenly" and I am NOT joking that the whole dept could fit in the thing, I used to work over there (Edon, OH) and my impression was they had one officer per shift, and a Chief and maybe a few other sworn.

I'm guessing it was an MRAP because those are the ones the govt is giving away, too big for many places there would be a need for them, and at 14 tons they say 72% of the worlds bridges cannot handle one.

Apparently on open "highways" in sandbox places the guys liked them because they were pretty tough.

But only three fit in a C130 and that ends up costing like $150k EACH to get one to the sandbox where it is needed.

Bill
    AND TMG meant that a good grant writer could obtain money to keep the vehicle in operation

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sapper324 View Post
    You haven't spent too much time in a military vehicle motor pool have you? Vehicles "sitting" in a garage or rarely driven develop all kinds of problems.
    Not only that, but like I said, depending on the variant and age, you may see vast differences in quality. These things were rushed into production by the DoD and companies that were in no way ready to produce them in the thousands that the DoD wanted. There are some huge quality problems with many of them (Each vendor has minor changes and variants that make them all a little bit different as well)

Some of them have had severe electrical problems and have spontaneously combusted. The doors are so heavy they have a pneumatic system to be able to open. There have been a huge number of failures with this system literally trapping people inside. The list goes on and on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LandGuppy View Post
    Not only that, but like I said, depending on the variant and age, you may see vast differences in quality. These things were rushed into production by the DoD and companies that were in no way ready to produce them in the thousands that the DoD wanted. There are some huge quality problems with many of them (Each vendor has minor changes and variants that make them all a little bit different as well)

Some of them have had severe electrical problems and have spontaneously combusted. The doors are so heavy they have a pneumatic system to be able to open. There have been a huge number of failures with this system literally trapping people inside. The list goes on and on.
    That's why there are manual releases, a turret hatch to crawl out of on the top, and "universal keys!"

Forum Member

Probably has nothing to due with a grant. They probably signed up for the DRMO process and scored it. The equipment comes "free" with the receiving agency being responsible for the acquisition and maintanence cost along with the inability to simply dispose of it later. When the issued PD is done with the equipment, they must turn it back into Big Brother.

My team is attempting to acquire one, but the DRMO process is an abortion. One of our guys even has an in with a transport officer in the Army who could get it on a train for us.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    acquisition and maintanence cost .
    ^^^^ and THUS the need for a grant writer (especially for a very small department).

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    My team is attempting to acquire one, but the DRMO process is an abortion. One of our guys even has an in with a transport officer in the Army who could get it on a train for us.
    No Chit.

My agency has 2 M-14's that are DRMO. The last 2 Sheriff's have been trying to get rid of them and can't. NO ONE wants them back.

The state DRMO office (state police ) keeps insisting that we account for them every year -----and our Sheriff keeps saying he doesn't want them any more...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    No Chit.

My agency has 2 M-14's that are DRMO. The last 2 Sheriff's have been trying to get rid of them and can't. NO ONE wants them back.

The state DRMO office (state police ) keeps insisting that we account for them every year -----and our Sheriff keeps saying he doesn't want them any more...
    Thats kinda weird, they were so desperate for them at one time that they went and took BACK the ones that Legion and Amvets posts had for ceremonial purposes. Why not just issue them out as patrol rifles ?? It is not tough to render them semi auto only.

Bill

Forum Member

Bill
    oh boy, expect their small-town esu/swat guys to really really buff out now with that thing.

It's Complicated
    Thats kinda weird, they were so desperate for them at one time that they went and took BACK the ones that Legion and Amvets posts had for ceremonial purposes. Why not just issue them out as patrol rifles ?? It is not tough to render them semi auto only.

Bill
    #1 We have modern M4's issued to eveyone
    #2 Yes it is weird
    #3 They absolutley refuse to take them back and won't even let us give them to another agency
    #4 NO ONE wants to carry an M-14 as a patrol rifle .............those phuckers are heavy 10.7 lbs loaded
    #5 As a LE agency we don't need to render anything semi auto

Forum Member

#1 We have modern M4's issued to eveyone
    #2 Yes it is weird
    #3 They absolutley refuse to take them back and won't even let us give them to another agency
    #4 NO ONE wants to carry an M-14 as a patrol rifle .............those phuckers are heavy 10.7 lbs loaded
    #5 As a LE agency we don't need to render anything semi auto
    Well the usmil even rendered them semi auto I think, have you ever tried to DO anything with one full auto ??Lots of depts neuter the govt M16's into semi only by just installing the semi fire control parts.

I had a semi auto M14 as a junior DCM shooter, welded selector semi only(small weld), always wanted to shoot a full auto one. Ran into a friend who had one and he let me run a few mags through it on FA...total letdown hehe.

There are also more stocks and stuff avail now than there were back in the day. Not sure if the gov allows alterations or not.

Bill

Forum Member
    ...too big for many places there would be a need for them, and at 14 tons they say 72% of the worlds bridges cannot handle one.

Bill
    Whoever is telling you this has math issues. Tractor trailers gross out at around 40 tons and they get around a lot of places. A C-130 costs about $6000 per hour to operate, and, as slow as they are, it's not $450,000 to get to the sandbox.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    Whoever is telling you this has math issues. Tractor trailers gross out at around 40 tons and they get around a lot of places. A C-130 costs about $6000 per hour to operate, and, as slow as they are, it's not $450,000 to get to the sandbox.

Here is the exact info I read on he C130.......
    Although three MRAP vehicles (or five Oshkosh M-ATV's) will fit in a C-17 aircraft, airlifting is extremely expensive, at $150,000 per vehicle, according to estimates by the U.S. Transportation Command. In an effort to rush more vehicles to the theater, the US Air Force contracted several Ukrainian Antonov An-124 heavy-cargo aircraft, which became a familiar sight above cities such as Charleston, South Carolina where some MRAPs are produced. For comparison, sealifting costs around $13,000 per vehicle, but takes 3–4 weeks for the vehicle to arrive in theater.
    And here in the 72%....not it says "the worlds bridges", I'm not sure what % of the world has bridges setup for the 80,000-120,000 lb semi tractor trailer rigs we have here....or for a 28,000 lb vehicle with either 2 or 3 axles.

72 percent of the world's bridges cannot hold the MRAP.

Forum Member

I did look it up at MIlitary Transportation Command and they put it at $135,000 by air and $18,000 by ship to transport to Iraq.

Bill
    Last edited by willbird; 09-20-2013 at 12:39 AM.

It's Complicated
    Well the usmil even rendered them semi auto I think, have you ever tried to DO anything with one full auto ??Lots of depts neuter the govt M16's into semi only by just installing the semi fire control parts.

I had a semi auto M14 as a junior DCM shooter, welded selector semi only(small weld), always wanted to shoot a full auto one. Ran into a friend who had one and he let me run a few mags through it on FA...total letdown hehe.

There are also more stocks and stuff avail now than there were back in the day. Not sure if the gov allows alterations or not.

Bill
    All of that means absolutely NOTHING since my boss wants them gone

My post had nothing to do with the M14 or it merits..........it concerned the unwieldy DRMO process
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-20-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Forum Member

All of that means absolutely NOTHING since my boss wants them gone

My post had nothing to do with the M14 or it merits..........it concerned the unwieldy DRMO process
    SO sorry to harsh your mellow. Too bad the "Free Stuff Army" is cumbersome :-).

Bill