Page 1 of 15 123411 ... Last
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: NYPD 911 Operator Job / Police Communications Technician Opening Dcas September!!

Forum Member

NYPD 911 Operator Job / Police Communications Technician Opening Dcas September!!

Just read on monster.com they are going to be holding an exam on the Dcas center for 911 operators.

http://jobview.monster.com/NYPD-911-...124283433.aspx

NYPD 911 Operators
    About the Job
    NYPD 911 OPERATORS
    Civilian Opportunities as a Police Communications Technician

Police Communications Technicians (911 Operators/Radio Dispatchers) are assigned to the Department's Communications Section as 911 emergency call takers.

As an NYPD 911 Operator, you will serve as a radio dispatcher of police resources and perform all other clerical and administrative duties related to the provision of emergency service. Police Communications Technicians are required to work shifts, including evenings or night tours and/or Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. There is per-shift pay as well as night shift pay differential.

To be considered you MUST have the following qualifications:
    1. Four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent. One year full time paid experience performing clerical duties; or public contact work requiring obtaining information; or 30 college credits or two years active military duty with honorable discharge.
    2. New York City residency (5 boroughs) within 90 days of appointment.

This position is subject to the following investigations before appointment:
    Medical and Psychological: You will be examined to determine whether you can perform the essential functions of the position.

Drug Screening: You must pass a drug screening in order to be appointed.

Language Requirement: You must be able to understand and be understood in English.

Entry into higher level positions, other than through promotional exams, depends on the applicant's prior training, education and experience and the job requirements for the position.

Starting Salary: $33,162 and can increase to $44,899.

The Civil Service test for this position will be offered beginning in September 2013 at the DCAS Computerized Testing Centers.

Please visit www.nypd911operator.com to view the dates and times of the Exam.

If you wish to be considered for this position prior to taking the Exam, please send resume to NYPD911Operator@gmail.com indicating Police Communications Technician on the subject line of your email.

At the time of investigation, you will be required to pay a $75.00 fee for fingerprint screening.

NYPD is an Equal Opportunity Employer
    Exams Taken:
    NYPD, NYPDSSA ,NYPDTEA NYCDEP, NYCDOC ,NYCDOS Enforcement, PAPD ,NYSDOC, NYPD dispatcher, NCPD, NYS Trooper, NYS University Police (downstate/upstate), Monroe County PD, Chenango Sheriff, Rochester PD, YPD ,OC Sheriff.

In Process:
    NYPDPC Exam 2214
    APD5- Complete
    Medical- Complete

JST- 11/20/2013
    Oral/Psyc- 11/27/2013
    Mini Med - ?

Forum Member
    Language Requirement: You must be able to understand and be understood in English.... haha... i like that one...
    BNWS, MissNYPD and PO_Rubio like this.

Forum Member

This is a position that works out well for you twenty something guys & gals, or single people period. Not a great job for those looking to spend quality time with the family. A lot of mandatory OT' so don't let the starting wage deter you....you probably make close to the max salary, if not more your first year with all the OT' available.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TruGuardian View Post
    This is a position that works out well for you twenty something guys & gals, or single people period. Not a great job for those looking to spend quality time with the family. A lot of mandatory OT' so don't let the starting wage deter you....you probably make close to the max salary, if not more your first year with all the OT' available.
    Its a good starting point if your not hired with any agency. Yes you might have overtime but Its sometimes a good thing for a person not working.
    TD4 likes this.
    Exams Taken:
    NYPD, NYPDSSA ,NYPDTEA NYCDEP, NYCDOC ,NYCDOS Enforcement, PAPD ,NYSDOC, NYPD dispatcher, NCPD, NYS Trooper, NYS University Police (downstate/upstate), Monroe County PD, Chenango Sheriff, Rochester PD, YPD ,OC Sheriff.

In Process:
    NYPDPC Exam 2214
    APD5- Complete
    Medical- Complete

JST- 11/20/2013
    Oral/Psyc- 11/27/2013
    Mini Med - ?

Forum Member

if anyone is planning on taking the test for this position...we are also hiring provisionals at this time .. just have a resume and cover letter and drop it off at 1pp on the 10th floor ,room 1014... you must still take the test when it becomes available though to become permanent..we are in need of people right now...there are going be 911 training classes held every 2 or 3 months beginning at the end of August, with about 50 to 60 people in each class until staffing level requirements are met..
    TD4 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PO_Rubio View Post
    Its a good starting point if your not hired with any agency. Yes you might have overtime but Its sometimes a good thing for a person not working.
    They tell you at the orientation that you probably be mandated 2-3 a week. Chon718, what is top pay and after how many years does it take to reach it?

Forum Member

3 years to top pay at $44,899, and it is a guarantee that you will get mandated 3 times a week.. currently i get ordered OT 4 days a week.. that's only because we are short staffed and call volumes are higher than usual.. there is no overtime cap during the summer months and holiday season

Forum Member

also this is a two part job, in which you have to pass a 911 calltaking class and also a radio dispatching class..... during your first year you are ONLY taking 911 calls.... then you go back to training for radio dispatching... if you do not pass that, then they let you go... you only get one chance to pass during training for all exams... the initial training is two months long

Forum Member

Where do pct's work out of...1pp?

Forum Member
    Pretty sure its out of downtown brooklyn.
    fabolous084 likes this.

Forum Member

Anybody know how long this process takes? Is it comparable to NYPD or quicker?
    OrhanTR and Ashah122 like this.

Forum Member
    Seriously considering this... I just took my exam 4300 last month so its a year and a half... would be pretty good RELEVANT experience working the back end before going through the NYPD process. With OT pay isn't half bad either........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chon718 View Post
    also this is a two part job, in which you have to pass a 911 calltaking class and also a radio dispatching class..... during your first year you are ONLY taking 911 calls.... then you go back to training for radio dispatching... if you do not pass that, then they let you go... you only get one chance to pass during training for all exams... the initial training is two months long
    I like that the fact that you guys have a 11pm-7am training sessions...that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo723 View Post
    Where do pct's work out of...1pp?
    Quote Originally Posted by LINY View Post
    Pretty sure its out of downtown brooklyn.
    Some at 1PP, the majority in Downtown Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-824 View Post
    Anybody know how long this process takes? Is it comparable to NYPD or quicker?

When I took the exam, a few yrs back...

it was as earlier as within a year, towards 2 yrs.

Since chon718, says they're hurting...I assume it'll be about the same timeframe.
    TD4 likes this.

Forum Member

City of New York, County of Kings & Queens
    Yay MetroTech

DENIED!
    Wayyyyyyy overworked. Lots of mandated overtime. Underpaid too.
    chon718 likes this.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    Might as well become a co you get crazy mandatory OT but make a killing for it..
    The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fabolous084 View Post
    Might as well become a co you get crazy mandatory OT but make a killing for it..
    For some of us corrections has not called yet so might as well give this a try while we wait. It's better then being a traffic enforcement agent. You indoors also atleast.
    fabolous084 likes this.
    Exams Taken:

In Process:
    NYPDPC Exam 2214
    APD5- Complete
    Medical- Complete

JST- 11/20/2013
    Oral/Psyc- 11/27/2013
    Mini Med - ?

Forum Member

JMHO- I'd rather work as a PCT and move upand get some good exp- as opposed to DOC
    chon718 and PO_Rubio like this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo723 View Post
    JMHO- I'd rather work as a PCT and move upand get some good exp- as opposed to DOC
    Both jobs are good city jobs. I am just looking to get on my feet in law enforcement.
    Plinton876 likes this.
    Exams Taken:

In Process:
    NYPDPC Exam 2214
    APD5- Complete
    Medical- Complete

JST- 11/20/2013
    Oral/Psyc- 11/27/2013
    Mini Med - ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post

That's why it's ideal for young NYPD recruits, gain some behind the scenes knowledge. Being in-house already can help out, when going through the process. All that mandated OT' can help keep them preoccupied, while keeping their nose clean.
    IronGrip6, PO_Rubio and R_v like this.

R_v
    Forum Member

totally agree with you the more we stay out of trouble. and i want to go and drink but i always think twice before going out with my friends. im on my young 20s
    like my buddy told me who is on the job "just be patience your time will come, and stay out of trouble.
    really appreciate your advise
    That's why it's ideal for young NYPD recruits, gain some behind the scenes knowledge. Being in-house already can help out, when going through the process. All that mandated OT' can help keep them preoccupied, while keeping their nose clean.
    republicangopmh likes this.

Forum Member
    correct only problem I can see is if you are in college still getting your degree, but im sure they will work with you.
    R_v likes this.
    Exams Taken:

In Process:
    NYPDPC Exam 2214
    APD5- Complete
    Medical- Complete

JST- 11/20/2013
    Oral/Psyc- 11/27/2013
    Mini Med - ?

Forum Member

correct only problem I can see is if you are in college still getting your degree, but im sure they will work with you.
    Yeh, I agree...it's not good for those in school, it's way too time consuming.

Forum Member
    Both jobs are good city jobs. I am just looking to get on my feet in law enforcement.
    This is not a foot in door job.. this is NOT a LE job.
    NYPD Exam
    Exam: 8051

NYC Corrections
    Exam:3300

Baltimore City PD
    In the process..

And a few other exams...

NYPD Aux.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Manning View Post
    This is not a foot in door job.. this is NOT a LE job.
    I disagree.its probably the best foot in the door job for anyone wanting to pursue a career in LE. Youll be talking to nypd officers all day- make some connections - build up some city and pension time and get to learn the backbone of the 911 structure.
    PO_Rubio and Ashah122 like this.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... Last