Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What is cadet/police academy like for MSP?

  1. #26
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    26
    Received a letter today from Human Resources saying that I passed the test and am on their eligibility list. I'm guessing this means I didn't score high enough to move on for backgrounds, but if enough people fail backgrounds I suppose I could move on. Good luck to all who made it!

  2. #27
    STORM THE CASTLE!
    squad51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4,501
    Quote Originally Posted by MpsHonor View Post
    I received my BI email as well, super excited and humbled. I will continue to pray and stay focused.
    JUST TELL THE TRUTH..no matter how painfully embarrassing it is just tell the truth....
    Happy to be here proud to serve

    "Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

    Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

  3. #28
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11
    If I was not selected for BI, I wouldn't be embarrassed about. It would simply be a motivator. We started with nearly 600 candidates and 160 of us made it to interviews. For me, that alone is an accomplishment. We are currently at 60 candidates. We will know something within 12-14 weeks. I will keep the forum updated.

  4. #29
    Martial Artist

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    225
    I think he means, tell the truth on your background packet even if the situation is embarassing. Don't lie on your packet, it will follow you. That kinda thing.
    gopherpuckfan likes this.

  5. #30
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    199
    Yeah, and try not to forget anything! Even if you recall slim details, add it.

  6. #31
    STORM THE CASTLE!
    squad51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4,501
    Quote Originally Posted by MpsHonor View Post
    If I was not selected for BI, I wouldn't be embarrassed about. It would simply be a motivator. We started with nearly 600 candidates and 160 of us made it to interviews. For me, that alone is an accomplishment. We are currently at 60 candidates. We will know something within 12-14 weeks. I will keep the forum updated.
    I am somewhat shocked that you took my post like this...I meant don't lie on your back ground....
    Happy to be here proud to serve

    "Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

    Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

  7. #32
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by squad51 View Post
    I am somewhat shocked that you took my post like this...I meant don't lie on your back ground....
    I think mpshonor was referring to post 26:

    http://forums.officer.com/t188357-2/#post3345680 (What is cadet/police academy like for MSP?)

    It definitely helps to quote someone when referring to their post!

  8. #33
    STORM THE CASTLE!
    squad51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4,501
    Quote Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
    I think mpshonor was referring to post 26:

    http://forums.officer.com/t188357-2/#post3345680 (What is cadet/police academy like for MSP?)

    It definitely helps to quote someone when referring to their post!
    hmm yes probably
    Happy to be here proud to serve

    "Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

    Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

  9. #34
    STORM THE CASTLE!
    squad51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4,501
    well good news bad news, bad news first, The class of 27 that was going to start in late Oct or recruits from the current list is now going to be a class of 14 or so. Only 15 job offers were sent out of the 31 who got through back grounds. 1 person declined. This will probably end up killing this list which expires Nov1. I would doubt they will have another class off this list.
    The good news is that this potentially means more spots for the cadet class, but that has not been full determined and would now rest on the number of retirements between now and March....
    Happy to be here proud to serve

    "Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

    Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

  10. #35
    STORM THE CASTLE!
    squad51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4,501
    well good news bad news, bad news first, The class of 27 that was going to start in late Oct or recruits from the current list is now going to be a class of 14 or so. Only 15 job offers were sent out of the 31 who got through back grounds. 1 person declined. This will probably end up killing this list which expires Nov1. I would doubt they will have another class off this list.
    The good news is that this potentially means more spots for the cadet class, but that has not been full determined and would now rest on the number of retirements between now and March....
    Happy to be here proud to serve

    "Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

    Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

  11. #36
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by squad51 View Post
    well good news bad news, bad news first, The class of 27 that was going to start in late Oct or recruits from the current list is now going to be a class of 14 or so. Only 15 job offers were sent out of the 31 who got through back grounds. 1 person declined. This will probably end up killing this list which expires Nov1. I would doubt they will have another class off this list.
    The good news is that this potentially means more spots for the cadet class, but that has not been full determined and would now rest on the number of retirements between now and March....
    interesting, what is that for? My letter says we don't expire until March 4th 2014....which is the potential start of the academy.

    I had my background interview yesterday, went well, I forgot 2 or 3 things for one of my old jobs, but hopefully all is well ... she was OK with me emailing that info to her later....crossing my fingers, waiting game time. I just hope I don't get auto denied!

  12. #37
    STORM THE CASTLE!
    squad51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4,501
    Quote Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
    interesting, what is that for? My letter says we don't expire until March 4th 2014....which is the potential start of the academy.

    I had my background interview yesterday, went well, I forgot 2 or 3 things for one of my old jobs, but hopefully all is well ... she was OK with me emailing that info to her later....crossing my fingers, waiting game time. I just hope I don't get auto denied!
    That is from the recruit list that started last year....
    Happy to be here proud to serve

    "Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

    Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

  13. #38
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    199
    Ahh, I did not know there was a recruit list from last year.

  14. #39
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The great midwest!
    Posts
    201
    Minneapolis is a dump. Who wants to police a city where a good sized contingent of people believe their police are so crooked that multiple officers shot themselves to cover up for killing some dirtbag?

    I know they have had officers that have had sex with kids and robbed banks and certainly some bigots, but to think that cops are going to shoot themselves?

    The tell tale sign of how crappy MPLS is is when they lifted their residency requirements many years back. EVERY single copper I knew immediately put their house on the market and moved up to the Elk River/Chisago area.

    To be certain, there are some great cops there, but why not work someplace where your efforts will be at least somewhat appreciated?

  15. #40
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Land of the lemmings.
    Posts
    948
    ^^^^^^^^^

    This should be interesting.....

  16. #41
    St. Cloud Proud!
    SCSU74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wayyyy up Nort
    Posts
    2,513
    Quote Originally Posted by squad51 View Post
    well good news bad news, bad news first, The class of 27 that was going to start in late Oct or recruits from the current list is now going to be a class of 14 or so. Only 15 job offers were sent out of the 31 who got through back grounds. 1 person declined. This will probably end up killing this list which expires Nov1. I would doubt they will have another class off this list.
    The good news is that this potentially means more spots for the cadet class, but that has not been full determined and would now rest on the number of retirements between now and March....
    That's crazy, why wouldn't they background more? Like 9 more to get a full class instead of only having a class of 14?
    In Valor there is hope

  17. #42
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Relief View Post
    Minneapolis is a dump. Who wants to police a city where a good sized contingent of people believe their police are so crooked that multiple officers shot themselves to cover up for killing some dirtbag?

    I know they have had officers that have had sex with kids and robbed banks and certainly some bigots, but to think that cops are going to shoot themselves?

    The tell tale sign of how crappy MPLS is is when they lifted their residency requirements many years back. EVERY single copper I knew immediately put their house on the market and moved up to the Elk River/Chisago area.

    To be certain, there are some great cops there, but why not work someplace where your efforts will be at least somewhat appreciated?
    Is this first hand, or just you talking about what you've heard/read? Because from what I have heard from officers who currently work there, they say there's some red tape, but other then that, it isn't how you described it. I also have lived there for 5~ years, love the city.

  18. #43
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The great midwest!
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
    Is this first hand, or just you talking about what you've heard/read? Because from what I have heard from officers who currently work there, they say there's some red tape, but other then that, it isn't how you described it. I also have lived there for 5~ years, love the city.
    I grew up in the heart of threes by Little Earth. It wasn't horrible back then. But what a carp hole it has become. Overcome by liberal special interest groups and police brass and a mayor that aim to placate the various "communities"

    Like I said, two cops got shot by a hard core scumbag and whole parts of the community were up in arms because the cops returned fire and killed the guy.

    Now that the grand jury has handed down their decision a lot of those community members believe the police planted evidence.

    Overpriced housing stock, high taxes, liberals, horsebleep snow removal....you can have it.

  19. #44
    St. Cloud Proud!
    SCSU74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wayyyy up Nort
    Posts
    2,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Relief View Post
    I grew up in the heart of threes by Little Earth. It wasn't horrible back then. But what a carp hole it has become. Overcome by liberal special interest groups and police brass and a mayor that aim to placate the various "communities"

    Like I said, two cops got shot by a hard core scumbag and whole parts of the community were up in arms because the cops returned fire and killed the guy.

    Now that the grand jury has handed down their decision a lot of those community members believe the police planted evidence.

    Overpriced housing stock, high taxes, liberals, horsebleep snow removal....you can have it.
    How do you really feel?
    In Valor there is hope

  20. #45
    Police Officer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Elko New Market, Minnesota
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Relief View Post
    I grew up in the heart of threes by Little Earth. It wasn't horrible back then. But what a carp hole it has become. Overcome by liberal special interest groups and police brass and a mayor that aim to placate the various "communities"

    Like I said, two cops got shot by a hard core scumbag and whole parts of the community were up in arms because the cops returned fire and killed the guy.

    Now that the grand jury has handed down their decision a lot of those community members believe the police planted evidence.

    Overpriced housing stock, high taxes, liberals, horsebleep snow removal....you can have it.
    Its a large urban city with almost 400,000 people what do you expect? Minneapolis definitely has its areas but there are many very nice areas of the city as well. I've had more people from Minneapolis tell me thank you for what you do then anywhere else and I don't even work there. You can't generalize a whole population because you see one or two of Minneapolis's demographics on the news complaining.
    "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

  21. #46
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Land of the lemmings.
    Posts
    948
    If you live in the city and think it is so bad, then move.

    Life is about choices.

  22. #47
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The great midwest!
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 View Post
    If you live in the city and think it is so bad, then move.

    Life is about choices.
    Trust me, I am far removed from that rat hole now. Although I should say that there are some good people in Nordeast Mpls.

    Let me use Savage and Crystal to illustrate my point. A Savage cop gets in a bad wreck and the community rallies with benefits and showers the guy and his family with support. In Crystal, two cops were being apparently shafted by admin and a big group protested at City Hall in support of the officers.

    Where are the rallies, benefits, and support from the community for the two MPLS officers that risked their life and got shot?

  23. #48
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Relief View Post
    Minneapolis is a dump. Who wants to police a city where a good sized contingent of people believe their police are so crooked that multiple officers shot themselves to cover up for killing some dirtbag?

    Excellent point - the majority of the city either, A.)hates the police due to their "culture" B) are so liberal they think that the dic$heads are simply misunderstood and down and out on their luck. C) the other portion of the citizenry have this "elitest" mentality which makes working for them unbearable

    I know they have had officers that have had sex with kids and robbed banks and certainly some bigots, but to think that cops are going to shoot themselves?

    see above

    The tell tale sign of how crappy MPLS is is when they lifted their residency requirements many years back. EVERY single copper I knew immediately put their house on the market and moved up to the Elk River/Chisago area.

    I'd eat my gun if I had to live there. Other than the crime (in certain areas) what you get for your tax payer dollar is a total ripoff. And look at the elected officials for MPLS... good grief

    To be certain, there are some great cops there, but why not work someplace where your efforts will be at least somewhat appreciated?
    Excellent point, again. You'll be in dicey situations, serving a public who either, A) doesn't deserve your hard work and/or B) doesn't appreciate your hard work. BUT... you get the opportunity to do more as a cop than most other PD's/agencies in the upper Midwest, the pay is better than average, the opportunities for off-duty "part-time" jobs are endless, the availability of a variety of assignments if you're afraid of taking 9-1-1 calls. And if you're a cop there, some of your co-workers are among the best cops in the state.
    gopherpuckfan likes this.

  24. #49
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11
    I believe the home visits are coming up petty soon.
    Last edited by MpsHonor; 09-26-2013 at 03:52 PM.

  25. #50
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by squad51 View Post
    hmm yes probably
    My last post was in reference to Ranger15, to stay optimistic and to maintain a sense of achievement.
    Squad you have been nothing shy of inspiring, motivating and confidence building. I privately asked you for some advice some time back and I believe your input is what lead me to this point in the hiring process. I think I can speak for most by saying we appreciate you.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register