Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Shooting cats ??

Forum Member

Shooting cats ??

The police Chief in a neighboring city here was convicted of animal cruelty for trapping and shooting four cats, and tossing their bodies onto a frozen river. His officers killed 10-12 more and did the same with the corpses.

The Chief was convicted of animal cruelty, needlessly killing a companion animal, a first degree misdemeanor in Ohio. He was fined $500 plus court costs, he entered a no contest plea. The plea was a deal, the prosecutor otherwise was going to go after individual officers for their part in it.

He ended up with a two week suspension spread out over 10 weeks with no consecutive days.

In the Chief's words "It's all true, I screwed up. I made a mistake, but there was no malfeasance. No Misconduct, No bad intent. The Judge saw that in 5 minutes and you will too."

Bottom line they had a stray cat problem...they trapped them in live traps and shot them which is plainly and clearly illegal in Ohio apparently.

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Tmg
    Forum Member

What if he juiced them? would that be legal? Animal control does that all the time. If he did it in a human way then I just dont see the problem.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tmg View Post
    What if he juiced them? would that be legal? Animal control does that all the time. If he did it in a human way then I just dont see the problem.
    He could have taken them to the Humane society, but in the words of the Village Admin shooting them was a "cost saving measure"....3 cents each vs $30 each.

In at least one case a person heard he had trapped her pet, asked for it back, and he shot it anyway.

Speaks to small town Ohio that she was ON the village council that voted on his fate, some tried to prevent her from voting, the Chief said "she has been on council for 15 years she can be fair about this". There was a vote for 60 days..which got a split vote, a vote to table any punishment, got a split vote, and a unanimous vote for the ten day deal.

Bill

Forum Member

If he'd turned the animals over to Animal Control or its local equivalent he wouldn't have had a problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
    If he'd turned the animals over to Animal Control or its local equivalent he wouldn't have had a problem.
    I know we have a "dog warden" in each county, not sure if they deal with stray cats or not. It is a rural area/county, surrounded by rural counties.

Bill

taxi driver
    Here's a link:

http://www.13abc.com/story/22418711/...animal-cruelty

But even there all you get is sketchy, spotty, bits and pieces of the story. I wouldn't be surprised if major story elements are missing from the reporting.

Forum Member
    They are cats. What's the problem?

DOGS RULE!

:-)

Forum Member
    It's time for a road trip!

Sincerely,
    Toonces

Bigfoot Country
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Forum Member

On a side note, how about the Chief admitting fault and taking the full hit to shield his officers?

You don't see that every day.
    pujolsfan146, Tmg, HI629 and 1 others like this.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

That guy you don't like.
    That's horrible. I bet a lot more people would be upset about it if it were dogs.
    LA DEP: Obvious case of suicide.....shot twice in the back of the head with a bolt action rifle....
    CruiserClass: I took a nap today. It was such a great nap I felt the urge to share my nap with the officer.com world. It was that good of a nap.

That's it. Go check other threads were exciting topics are being discussed, this was seriously just about a really comforting and invigorating 35 minute nap. Move along, nothing else to see here, move along.

Conservitum Americum
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/09/...ginia-shelter/

PETA Takes Heat over Claims it Killed 90% of Animals Dropped off at Virginia Shelter

Could it be possible that People for the Ethical Rights of Animals (PETA) isn’t as animal-friendly as it claims? The organization reportedly had to destroy almost 90% of all the animals dropped off at its headquarters in Norfolk, Va., in 2012, according to the Daily Mail.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by willbird View Post
    The police Chief in a neighboring city here was convicted of animal cruelty for trapping and shooting four cats, and tossing their bodies onto a frozen river. His officers killed 10-12 more and did the same with the corpses.

The Chief was convicted of animal cruelty, needlessly killing a companion animal, a first degree misdemeanor in Ohio. He was fined $500 plus court costs, he entered a no contest plea. The plea was a deal, the prosecutor otherwise was going to go after individual officers for their part in it.

He ended up with a two week suspension spread out over 10 weeks with no consecutive days.

In the Chief's words "It's all true, I screwed up. I made a mistake, but there was no malfeasance. No Misconduct, No bad intent. The Judge saw that in 5 minutes and you will too."

Bottom line they had a stray cat problem...they trapped them in live traps and shot them which is plainly and clearly illegal in Ohio apparently.

Bill
    He and his officers would have been in a world of shyt in most areas of CA....

Starting with FELONY negligent discharge of a firearm (at least one count for each cat) and then running the gambit of animal cruelty ect ect.....possibly even theft charges if even one of those cats had an owner.

After the criminal trial was done, then the civil suits would start....naming him, his officers, the department, the city, the county, and John/Jane Does 1-100.

Call animal control next time and let them do THEIR friggin job....
    Retired96 and pujolsfan146 like this.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Civillian
    eh, can't stand cats... good riddance

Forum Member

Anthropomorphism. I blame Walt Disney for this nonsense. Talking mice, dogs driving cars, clever bunnies, little Bambi's searching for Doe Mother, etc. Other than being emotionally driven, a cat has less value than a hog you make pork chops out of or a nice steer you turn into steak.
    Bill321, HI629 and TheTick like this.

That guy you don't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
    Anthropomorphism. I blame Walt Disney for this nonsense. Talking mice, dogs driving cars, clever bunnies, little Bambi's searching for Doe Mother, etc. Other than being emotionally driven, a cat has less value than a hog you make pork chops out of or a nice steer you turn into steak.
    So they should just be killed at will... got it. Good points you made there.
    LA DEP: Obvious case of suicide.....shot twice in the back of the head with a bolt action rifle....
    CruiserClass: I took a nap today. It was such a great nap I felt the urge to share my nap with the officer.com world. It was that good of a nap.

That's it. Go check other threads were exciting topics are being discussed, this was seriously just about a really comforting and invigorating 35 minute nap. Move along, nothing else to see here, move along.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Columbus View Post
    So they should just be killed at will... got it. Good points you made there.
    I re-read my post three times and I did not say that. This must be something YOU made up in your mind.

That guy you don't like.
    I re-read my post three times and I did not say that. This must be something YOU made up in your mind.
    But you were posting that they have "less value than a hog you make pork chops out of" IN SUPPORT of the article about shooting random cats. I never said you SAID "they should just be killed", but it was implied by your post.

Forum Member

`
    Quote Originally Posted by Max K View Post
    Here's a link:

http://www.13abc.com/story/22418711/...animal-cruelty

But even there all you get is sketchy, spotty, bits and pieces of the story. I wouldn't be surprised if major story elements are missing from the reporting.
    From what I have followed in the local paper that really did not leave anything out. The newspaper article I was quoting info from was about a council meeting where the whole topic came up.

I have never really been comfortable about the idea of people running cats "free range" we had a few like that when I was a kid and they got run over, and in one case a neighbor used a "jumper" trap in his outbuildings, I cannot really fault the guy, they were HIS outbuildings.

Bill
    Last edited by willbird; 06-12-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Conservitum Americum
    I cannot stand cats either. The problem is they didn't do the deed in private. The department is probably small enough to be animal control also. My first post was to illustrate the people who are without sin must cast the first stone.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Forum Member

He shot cats?! Doesn't he know how hard it is to find ammo right now?!
    pujolsfan146 likes this.

taxi driver
    Quote Originally Posted by willbird View Post
    `

From what I have followed in the local paper that really did not leave anything out.
    I just feels to me like something is missing. The Chief said: "No Misconduct, No bad intent. The Judge saw that in 5 minutes and you will too." Yet he was convicted of animal cruelty. Then OneAdam12 says: "The department is probably small enough to be animal control also." Okay, that's a good point: but this was not mentioned in the article. The idea of shooting cats and dumping them in the river sounds so strange. If there was a stray cat problem, why didn't the Chief solve it using proper procedures, knowing as he would, that he could get in big trouble? What's the payoff for taking a big risk like that? But the article doesn't ask that question (let alone answer it). That's why I feel there is something still missing from the story.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Columbus View Post
    But you were posting that they have "less value than a hog you make pork chops out of" IN SUPPORT of the article about shooting random cats. I never said you SAID "they should just be killed", but it was implied by your post.
    I see the problem here, I started the comment with a five syllable word and it threw you off. I was talking about irrational emotions concerning animals.

Hog = bacon. Value.

Cat = vet bills, license fees, shedding hair, crapping in the garden, killing songbirds, skulking around, and you can't eat them. Plus they spend all their free time licking their own butt. No value I can see. I can buy a mousetrap and come out ahead on the deal.
    jannino likes this.

It's Complicated
    Hog = bacon. Value.

Cat = vet bills, license fees, shedding hair, crapping in the garden, killing songbirds, skulking around, and you can't eat them. Plus they spend all their free time licking their own butt. No value I can see. I can buy a mousetrap and come out ahead on the deal.

Cat= Companionship == PRICELESS to many people............(maybe not you but priceless to many)

I see the problem here, I started the comment with a five syllable word and it threw you off. I was talking about irrational emotions concerning animals.

There is really no reason to insult him
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 06-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Columbus and Pogue Mahone like this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmg View Post
    What if he juiced them? would that be legal?
    Not sure but you'd easily burn the motor out in today's standard juicer, particularly the Breville that I own.
    Carbonfiberfoot likes this.
    Sometimes I think life is just a rodeo,
    The trick is to ride and make it to the bell.
    But there is a place, sweet as you will ever know,
    In music and love, and things you never tell.
    You see it in their face, secrets on the telephone,
    A time out of time, for you and no one else

Page 1 of 2 12 Last