Forum Member

Hiring-Longview Texas Police Department

The Longview Police Department is a municipal agency with an authorized staff of 172 Police Officers. We are a municipal agency serving a population of over 80, 000 residents, and are located on Interstate 20 in Northeast Texas.

Salary starts at $46,390 base. Plenty of off duty jobs available and low cost living in surrounding cities.

We currently have several positions: certified and non-certified. Academy starts in July.

See website and contact a recruiter.

longviewpolice.com/employment/employment

Forum Member

What all specialized units does Longview have?
    It CAN be done - Ronald Reagan

I work for peanuts.
    Traffic division (motor cops), School Resource Officer, Police Area Representative (Community Relations), SWAT, Negotiatior, Field Training Officer, Criminal Investigator (Detective), County Organized Drug Enforcement, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting.

Forum Member
    Longview is a really nice area. We go down there quite often.

Forum Member

I am stiill waiting on an interview. I applied like 7 months ago.

Forum Member

When I was contemplating staying in Texas, I called their recruiting line and spoke with a very brief, grumpy Sgt.. Maybe he was having a bad day, but it honestly made me put them on my own little black list!

Could be a great place to work, I don't have any knowledge of them other than the phone call.
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by K9krazy21 View Post
    When I was contemplating staying in Texas, I called their recruiting line and spoke with a very brief, grumpy Sgt.. Maybe he was having a bad day, but it honestly made me put them on my own little black list!

Could be a great place to work, I don't have any knowledge of them other than the phone call.
    Lol, it's funny when I called a few months back to inquire some information about their department. I spoke to the same Sgt, and I came away with the same impression as you did. He did not seem to enthusiastic as compared to other recruiters I've spoken too. I would figure he would more enthusiastic considering Longview PD is always continuously hiring.

Their starting salary is $47,781.90, that's the highest starting salary for any department in East Texas. Problem is people prefer living in the metroplex rather than the piney woods.

Forum Member

Does anyone on this thread work there that can explain their process. Like how they establish a ranking list or if they even have one?

Forum Member
    I can't say much about the LPD as I have not had any dealings with them personally. We have a family Farm/Ranch located between Longview and Kilgore and I'm in the area quite often (about once to twice a month). It seems like a nice place to live and raise a family if living in a smaller, semi rural area works for you. In addition you are relatively close to DFW (115 miles) if you need access to anything not avalible in the area. Personally, I plan on living up there 6-8 months of the year once I retire, but right now I prefer the amenities of living in a larger city/metro area.

Forum Member

The only downside i saw when thinking about applying for Longview is you have to sign a 4 year agreement with the department. If you go to a different department before your 4 years is up you have to pay them back for the training they gave you...and its a crazy amount...i already did 6+ years in the military, i don't want to be stuck in one place feeling stuck if a bigger opportunity presents itself

Forum Member

I saw that too.