Forum Member

Basketweave Vs Plain

Any thoughts on which is better and why some depts. issue different sets?

Forum Member
    We have to wear basket weave by policy and I have no complaints. I think it looks better over time in that it hides the scuffs and scratches a little better than plain would. But I have never used plain leather so anyone is welcome to refute that claim.

Tmg
    Forum Member

One isnt better than the other.

It just comes down to what the PD wants you to wear. Different looks for different uniforms.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Forum Member
    I was just curious. The department I'm applying for has basket weave. Was just seeing if anyone had a preference.

Forum Member
    It's all about appearance. It all depends on what the department's policy is as far is equipment usage. We are only allowed to wear plain leather gear.

Forum Member
    First place I worked had basket weave. I think it's retro (to put it nicely) but holds up a lot better then plain leather. Where I work now uses nylon and it may not look as professional, but it is a lot lighter and easier to maintain. We also have a basket weave dress belt we wear with class A's, but we don't wear any gear on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Max Rockatansky
    Quote Originally Posted by Billdozer79 View Post
    I was just curious. The department I'm applying for has basket weave. Was just seeing if anyone had a preference.
    I prefer (and wear) basktweave but I like the "old school" look. The PD in my county uses plain and it looks sharp as well.
    Chris
    STEAM ID: MrManslaughter
    XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Forum Member
    Where I am..up north, basket weave is not very popular. Personally I think it's extremely ugly and looks tacky. But like I said, it's not the norm around here, I think only one dept in the state wears it.

Senior Veteran

Basket weave for duty wear; plain for off-duty or investigators. That seems to be the norm in these parts. Although the last duty belt I bought was nylon to accomodate my waistline at the time.

Forum Member

My first agency issued basketweave leather gear, which was okay. Then they went to plain leather gear which I liked pretty well. Now the SO I work for issues nylon gear but they only issue the cheapest stuff they can get. I'm probably fixing to buy myself a new duty belt because the Uncle Mike's belt they issued me is so worn out that it won't stay tight on my hips.

Off topic poster
    Basket weave looks great, but that's all I'm used to seeing. I personally think nylon doesn't look that great. And believe me, I know all about the weight differences. Thank goodness for Bianchia Accu-Mold Elite. Looks like basket weave leather and weighs like nylon.

Throw a basket weave polymer Safariland holster and the duty belt rig is purty doggone light.

Forum Member
    I have two complete duty belt sets. One is basket weave, the other nylon. I use the nylon gearalmost every day. On occasion I wear the BW just to mix it up. Both belts are set up identically.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Basket weave looks great, but that's all I'm used to seeing. I personally think nylon doesn't look that great. And believe me, I know all about the weight differences. Thank goodness for Bianchia Accu-Mold Elite. Looks like basket weave leather and weighs like nylon.

Throw a basket weave polymer Safariland holster and the duty belt rig is purty doggone light.
    While I agree with your assessment, I was always curious about the weight thing. Once I take all the crap out of the pouches/cases (mags/cuffs/etc), both rigs feel pretty darn light!

Quote Originally Posted by 11b101abn View Post
    I have two complete duty belt sets. One is basket weave, the other nylon. I use the nylon gearalmost every day. On occasion I wear the BW just to mix it up. Both belts are set up identically.
    I have two sets, also.....just need to get a couple more pieces to complete the BW.
    "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)