Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Where has all the ammo gone?!?

Forum Member

Where has all the ammo gone?!?

I know this is nothing new (I'm sure someone has brought this up before), but where are people getting practices ammo? (My dept does not provide us any).

I was at Cabela's yesterday and the shelves where totally empty with the exception of odd calibers no one wants.

PS, I'm looking for 9MM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    ― Edmund Burke

St. Cloud Proud!
    Our pd provides 100 rds a month. In addition I buy my own from red river ammo. Lead time is high now, but not terrible
    djs105 likes this.
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member
    Red River won't ship to Illinois...I don't blame them!
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    ― Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Try going to your local ma and pa shop like a true value. People don't think to go there. I have a nice stock pile but get some when it comes in at the local true value or ace hardware.

Forum Member
    FTRthnU, I wish! I live in ****cago, Illinois. I'd have to go pretty far to find a Ma and Pa anything let alone one who sells ammo.

I'm seriously thinking of making trip to Wisconsin or Indiana.
    ― Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    It would appear I am not allowed to use the common vernacular for feces.
    Last edited by djs105; 03-12-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    ― Edmund Burke

Forum Member

I`m down to 15 .40 caliber shells,can`t find any ammo any where,guess I need to dig out my slingshot,I have quite a few ball bearings put up,maybe keep one round in my pocket for emergencies. Obumma is the one to thank for all of this

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    Y'all could just start reloading, ya know!
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    I buy my own from red river ammo. Lead time is high now, but not terrible
    The depot near Texarkana? I used to live around TK. How do you go about ordering it from them? I started stocking up a long time ago, but I'm perpetually shopping for ammo.

Forum Member
    Heck, The Sportsman's Guide had Remington Golden Sabers in stock very recently. I bought a dozen boxes of assorted calibers: .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9mm. The company said a PD had ordered it and didn't purchase once delivery was an option. I've bought A LOT of bulk ammo there. If you search for discount codes on retailmenot.com you can usually find enough of a discount to cover shipping costs. I literally shop every other day for ammo so I've found some goodies even since December.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djs105 View Post
    FTRthnU, I wish! I live in ****cago, Illinois. I'd have to go pretty far to find a Ma and Pa anything let alone one who sells ammo.

I'm seriously thinking of making trip to Wisconsin or Indiana.
    I know it's been a couple weeks since you posted, but believe me, Indiana is no-go from what I have seen. You'll have to go past Lake Co and get way off the highways. We IL suckers have picked the more accessible places clean.

Forum Member

For the last five or so years, I have been hearing left and right that I should stick with 9mm or .40 S&W or .45 ACP because these calibers are common, and I'll be able to find them anywhere.

The current shortage has taught me that was bad advice, and I should buy guns in oddball calibers because nobody else will be buying that box of .45 GAP or .41 Magnum, whereas all the people who got the same bad advice I did will be fighting in the streets over the last box of 9mm.

EDIT: My wife has found my new gun-buying philosophy unconvincing.
    joe publik and Taylor13 like this.

Forum Member

Check LuckyGunner.com they had a large selection and quick shipping last I checked. Their inventory is real time, so if it is on the website it is available...
    tanksoldier likes this.

Forum Member

Forum Member

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    For the last five or so years, I have been hearing left and right that I should stick with 9mm or .40 S&W or .45 ACP because these calibers are common, and I'll be able to find them anywhere.

The current shortage has taught me that was bad advice, and I should buy guns in oddball calibers because nobody else will be buying that box of .45 GAP or .41 Magnum, whereas all the people who got the same bad advice I did will be fighting in the streets over the last box of 9mm.

EDIT: My wife has found my new gun-buying philosophy unconvincing.
    The problem with oddball calibers is that they're hard to find when you need them though. I have a 9mm Makarov, and, although I don't use it for anything, I couldn't go to a local store even a year ago and find ammo for it. I have an oddball caliber rifle in the gun cabinet that I have to special order ammo for. I have around 20 firearms of assorted calibers and styles, and, at least in low density population areas (Arkansas) the "major" calibers have always been and are still easier to find.

Forum Member

Damn that sucks you have to get your own. My department gets 100 rounds a day, monday-friday.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Midnight sun worshipper
    You can find a few sites like this now. They monitor the more common sites for in-stock stuff, including ammo. I've gotten a few parts thanks to this:

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/9mm/
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever
    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Forum Member
    You can use the Walmart app. (not website) and see what will be arriving that night. Get there early and you should have no problem. I have been getting ammo every week 9mm .40 and .223

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLEO View Post
    You can use the Walmart app. (not website) and see what will be arriving that night. Get there early and you should have no problem. I have been getting ammo every week 9mm .40 and .223
    I've been trying to do that to get more .22LR. No luck. Always get beaten. Oh, well, I have enough. It's just the thrill of the chase at this point.

Student of Gerbil Voodoo
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLEO View Post
    Ah ha! So you're the one scarfing up all the ammo. Whaddya got, one of those shipping containers for each caliber?
    Just kidding.

I'm still waiting on the two boxes of .40 Gold Dots that I ordered from Streicher's in late Feb. or early March. They're one of the few places that lists GD (at least the 180 gr.) in 50-round boxes, and at a not-outrageous price, and said they'd get a new supply in every few weeks.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdawg45 View Post
    Again, you just have to keep a close eye (almost daily) on the availability of the on-line shops like Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc. If they have e-mail alert functions, use that and be ready to order very quickly. Also watch to see if they have quantity limits like Walmart did for a while. BTW, in my past observation the .40 cal is the most available caliber on line and in the stores.

LD
    Comparative ammo shopping has become a hobby of mine, lol. Funny that you mention .40. I see more .45 ACP than anything else, and because I'm really well stocked on that it's the caliber I absolutely don't need anymore of, lol.

Rifle-wise, .243, .270, and .30-06 hunting ammo seems to flourish.

Cornfield County USA PD
    According to the U.S. house oversight committee, DHS bought 103 million rounds in 2012, with 260 million rounds in stock...google DHS ammunition purchase.
    "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by gloc_copper View Post
    According to the U.S. house oversight committee, DHS bought 103 million rounds in 2012, with 260 million rounds in stock...google DHS ammunition purchase.

Bingo! your da' winner, at least you hit in the The black..

O.K. fellers, here IMO the most condensed ammo thingy on any forum..

As LA Dep said on another thready "da Govment contracts trumps all"..He was right..

I have been look'in for Standard velocity CCI lead, 40 grain, R.F. for 3 month with no luck...For my S&W model 41.

I also got a eye out for 7.62x39...need about 2k rounds and iz' be happy.

As far a components go..well good luck!

You guys should just check out the link I provided, It supplies an app. for wallmart received inventory in real time. you'll read story's about wall mart employees loading up on ammo and turning them on e-bay or whatever for 300% profit.

Crazy $h1T out there..I say about, a min 3 more months..but ammo will never be back down to the Clintonista era prices..

If ANYBODY has a lead or can spare a few bricks of the aformentioned CCI stuff I'm sure we could werk something out..If not "in"....

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Again the above link is 'bout the best current conditions/prices, I could find...
    Some of those cats on that forum are pretty heavy hitters..

Good Luck Feller'z!
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hitthegym View Post
    Y'all could just start reloading, ya know!
    Good luck with finding small pistol primers... It is really bad in SE Az. Wally World is about the only place to get ammo plus you have to be lucky and are limited to 3 boxes. A few shops in Tucson have some but have jacked the prices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last