Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Pulled over by NYS trooper

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42

    Pulled over by NYS trooper

    I was driving a Lexus IS350 and I was following the normal speed limit in Nassau County. Few days after Hurricane Sandy, I was driving to school and was pulled over. I had my belt on, and was nothing breaking any traffic violations. The NYS trooper asked me for my license and registration, which i handed to him. Since my car is black and I have tinted windows as well as black rims, the NYS trooper assumed I was a "speedster". However, I have a clean record, no points and a red light ticket from 4 years back. He cited me (5) tickets.

    (1) for no front license plate. (which i had on, but it was slanted)
    (1) for dirty license (rear)
    (1) for balding tires (There were clearly visible threads left on my tires!)
    (1) for tinted safety glass (I think the tiny rear window glasses)
    (1) for tinted rear windshield


    All resulting in about $900 is fees and surcharges!


    First of all i would just like your opinion on how to handle this. I have pleaded NOT GUILTY and my court date is March 5th 2013. I am becoming NYPD police officer and I have given my exam already. During my traffic stop, I pointed out that I am trying to become a police officer and I am in good standing with my local police department. Possibly this might have triggered the NYS trooper to act so roughly. My court is 16 Cooper St. in Nassau County. This is the first time dealing with a prosecutor and judge.
    I find it pointless to get a lawyer and pay $1,000 dollar is fees! I would like to ask current officer what is it I would have to possibly get these tickets reduced. How do I talk to the prosecutor and ask for a "lesser plea". Please dont bash me, I am a working college student.

  2. #2
    Former Deputy Sheriff
    VA Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,806

    Just a suggestion to you: Post this in the NY section of the forum. You can get answers that are more relevant to your particular situation and jurisdiction.


    GOOD LUCK!!
    mynameismoe likes this.

    The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

    The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

    ------------------------------------------------

    "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

  3. #3
    It's Complicated
    Iowa #1603's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    16,180
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameismoe View Post
    I was driving a Lexus IS350 and I was following the normal speed limit in Nassau County. Few days after Hurricane Sandy, I was driving to school and was pulled over. I had my belt on, and was nothing breaking any traffic violations. The NYS trooper asked me for my license and registration, which i handed to him. Since my car is black and I have tinted windows as well as black rims, the NYS trooper assumed I was a "speedster". However, I have a clean record, no points and a red light ticket from 4 years back. He cited me (5) tickets.

    (1) for no front license plate. (which i had on, but it was slanted)
    (1) for dirty license (rear)
    (1) for balding tires (There were clearly visible threads left on my tires!)
    (1) for tinted safety glass (I think the tiny rear window glasses)
    (1) for tinted rear windshield


    All resulting in about $900 is fees and surcharges!


    First of all i would just like your opinion on how to handle this. I have pleaded NOT GUILTY and my court date is March 5th 2013. I am becoming NYPD police officer and I have given my exam already. During my traffic stop, I pointed out that I am trying to become a police officer and I am in good standing with my local police department. Possibly this might have triggered the NYS trooper to act so roughly. My court is 16 Cooper St. in Nassau County. This is the first time dealing with a prosecutor and judge.
    I find it pointless to get a lawyer and pay $1,000 dollar is fees! I would like to ask current officer what is it I would have to possibly get these tickets reduced. How do I talk to the prosecutor and ask for a "lesser plea". Please dont bash me, I am a working college student.
    Yea..................you did what you should. In other words you plead Not Guilty and have a court date.

    good luck
    mynameismoe likes this.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    IAM Rand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,116
    Pay 3k for a lawyer and suck it up. We are not here for you to get out of a friggin ticket troll.
    "Don't make perfect the enemy of good."

    There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.

    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

    Frederick Douglass

  5. #5
    Hello, Newman.
    DigitalFrenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The City That Needs A Nap
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameismoe View Post
    I was driving a Lexus IS350 and I was following the normal speed limit in Nassau County. Few days after Hurricane Sandy, I was driving to school and was pulled over. I had my belt on, and was nothing breaking any traffic violations. The NYS trooper asked me for my license and registration, which i handed to him. Since my car is black and I have tinted windows as well as black rims, the NYS trooper assumed I was a "speedster". However, I have a clean record, no points and a red light ticket from 4 years back. He cited me (5) tickets.

    (1) for no front license plate. (which i had on, but it was slanted)
    (1) for dirty license (rear)
    (1) for balding tires (There were clearly visible threads left on my tires!)
    (1) for tinted safety glass (I think the tiny rear window glasses)
    (1) for tinted rear windshield


    All resulting in about $900 is fees and surcharges!


    First of all i would just like your opinion on how to handle this. I have pleaded NOT GUILTY and my court date is March 5th 2013. I am becoming NYPD police officer and I have given my exam already. During my traffic stop, I pointed out that I am trying to become a police officer and I am in good standing with my local police department. Possibly this might have triggered the NYS trooper to act so roughly. My court is 16 Cooper St. in Nassau County. This is the first time dealing with a prosecutor and judge.
    I find it pointless to get a lawyer and pay $1,000 dollar is fees! I would like to ask current officer what is it I would have to possibly get these tickets reduced. How do I talk to the prosecutor and ask for a "lesser plea". Please dont bash me, I am a working college student.
    1) Is the hearing in criminal court or a DMV TVB?

    2) Post the VTL codes and subsection as they appear on your summonses. I'm curious as to the exact charges, plus $900 seems high even for the aggregate.

    3) These are all equipment viols, so luckily no points. However, regardless of outcome, you will need to report all of them to your NYPD investigator when you get assigned one (if you haven't already) and will have to explain yourself.

    _DF

    __________________

    RIP PO Peter Figoski

    NYPD Scholarship Opportunities

    DigitalFrenchie's Guide to NYPD IMPACT

    A Cop's Point of View

    When I answer a stupid question:

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    DF,

    Why do you bother?

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Dutch View Post

    Just a suggestion to you: Post this in the NY section of the forum. You can get answers that are more relevant to your particular situation and jurisdiction.


    GOOD LUCK!!
    Thank you sir! Sorry, Im new to the site. I will remember for future references.


    Quote Originally Posted by IAM Rand View Post
    Pay 3k for a lawyer and suck it up. We are not here for you to get out of a friggin ticket troll.
    I dont have $3,000 for minor traffic infractions. If your not here for me to get out of a "friggen ticket troll" what are you here for? Help and support, I presume?



    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
    1) Is the hearing in criminal court or a DMV TVB?

    2) Post the VTL codes and subsection as they appear on your summonses. I'm curious as to the exact charges, plus $900 seems high even for the aggregate.

    3) These are all equipment viols, so luckily no points. However, regardless of outcome, you will need to report all of them to your NYPD investigator when you get assigned one (if you haven't already) and will have to explain yourself.

    _DF
    Fines Surcharge Total
    402-1 NO PLATE/OBSTRUCTED/DIRTY $130 80 $210
    402-1 NO PLATE/OBSTRUCTED/DIRTY $130 80 $210
    375-35 BALD TIRE $80 50 $130
    375-12A2 TINTED SIDE WINDOWS $80 50 $130
    375-12A4 EQUIP VIOLATION-SAFETY $80 $50 $130
    --------
    (Without penalty) $810


    The hearing is in NASSAU COUNTY TRAFFIC AND PARKING VIOLATION AGENCY. They do do plea bargains, but I have never been in this situation, so I do not know how or who to ask for a lesser plea.

    Yes, I agree that there are no points added, and I have bought this incident to my commanding officer and all he did was laught and told me to be careful.

    I would also like to add that all these infractions have been fixed. I got the tints taken off, aswell as fixed the plates and got four new tires
    Last edited by mynameismoe; 02-25-2013 at 09:47 PM.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    TNPSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    121
    I would have all of those violations fixed before your court date as well.
    TheTick and mynameismoe like this.

  8. #8
    It's Complicated
    Iowa #1603's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    16,180
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameismoe View Post
    I dont have $3,000 for minor traffic infractions. If your not here for me to get out of a "friggen ticket troll" what are you here for? Help and support, I presume?
    You do not get to dictate how the questions are answered.

    It is the policy of peace officers on this forum NOT to assist people with strategies on how to get out of traffic citations

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,697
    Get all the violations fixed and show up for court and say "I have all my violations fixed. I'm a student and have no money. I didn't know any better. Please help me." I think that's your best bet and really your only option. I imagine the prosecutor might be willing to dismiss 2 or 3 of the tickets if you plead guilty and pay the rest. So just show up on your court date and ask what your options are.

    Are you sure you didn't argue with the Trooper? That's an awful lot of equipment violations. Too many to even fit on one of my tickets. Someone has got to be doing something pretty egregious to cause me to bust out another ticket. I think the last time that happened it was way more serious stuff like No DL, No Insurance, No Child Safety Seat, Speeding, and No License Plate.
    TheTick and mynameismoe like this.

  10. #10
    Salty Dog

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    California Central Coast
    Posts
    6,981
    No prior tickets and being one out of 25,000 applicants don't mean ****.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

    I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

  11. #11
    L-1
    L-1 is offline
    Forum Member
    L-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,166
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameismoe View Post

    (1) for no front license plate. (which i had on, but it was slanted)
    (1) for dirty license (rear)
    (1) for balding tires (There were clearly visible threads left on my tires!)
    (1) for tinted safety glass (I think the tiny rear window glasses)
    (1) for tinted rear windshield


    I have pleaded NOT GUILTY
    Forgive me but I am confused here. You have pled not guilty but based on your later posts indicating things had been corrected -

    1. Wasn't the front plate slanted and obstructed?

    2. Wasn't the back plate dirty and obstructed?

    3. Was the tread depth of the tire greater than the required amount?

    4. Were or were not the windows tinted?

    I guess my problem is, why are you pleading not guilty when based on the content of your posts, it appears you are guilty? It strikes me that we're not dealing with a case of you being in the right. Instead, it seems that you simply don't want to be wrong, irrespective of the facts.

    One of the minimum requirements to be a police officer is the ability to accurately interpret facts and to accept reality. You appear to be lacking in those skills. Based on what you are doing here, I'm beginning to suspect you may have difficulty getting past the psych.

    Come back and retest in about five years.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    501
    Maybe things are different in that part of the country, but around here even the troopers would not drop that many equipment cites on a person unless they seriously failed the tried and true "***hole test". I was not there, but I would imagine the roadside exchange of words could have gone better.
    PhilipCal and Iowa #1603 like this.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    MrHighspeeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    125
    I love how this guy has an excuse for everything. Honesty and integrity are what makes a LEO and you sir seem to be lacking these traits.

  14. #14
    It's Complicated
    Iowa #1603's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    16,180
    Quote Originally Posted by XD4ME View Post
    Maybe things are different in that part of the country, but around here even the troopers would not drop that many equipment cites on a person unless they seriously failed the tried and true "***hole test". I was not there, but I would imagine the roadside exchange of words could have gone better.
    My guess is the operative phrases indicated below were probably the driving factor

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameismoe View Post
    I was driving a Lexus IS350 and I was following the normal speed limit in Nassau County. Few days after Hurricane Sandy, I was driving to school and was pulled over. I had my belt on, and was nothing breaking any traffic violations. The NYS trooper asked me for my license and registration, which i handed to him. Since my car is black and I have tinted windows as well as black rims, the NYS trooper assumed I was a "speedster".................................................. ................. During my traffic stop, I pointed out that I am trying to become a police officer and I am in good standing with my local police department. Possibly this might have triggered the NYS trooper to act so roughly
    PhilipCal likes this.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    329
    Since you are wanting to be a cop, here is what will happen. I didn't see where you mentioned if you were in a hiring process or not. This traffic stop will be discovered during your background and your investigator will contact the trooper who stopped you. If you had an attitude, good luck moving on in a process. As others have stated, a trooper writing that much paper on you raises red flags which will make your BI dig deeper.

    My biggest issue is with you saying that you weren't breaking any traffic laws. Obviously you were, otherwise the trooper would not have hung paper on you. Part of being a cop is accepting responsibility for your own actions. It has been my experience that if you cannot accept this responsibility you will either not get hired or your career will be very short. If your vehicle had been maintained according to the traffic code then you would not have been cited.

    Good luck.

    Covman
    Last edited by covman454; 02-26-2013 at 01:00 AM.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by adeutch View Post
    Get all the violations fixed and show up for court and say "I have all my violations fixed. I'm a student and have no money. I didn't know any better. Please help me." I think that's your best bet and really your only option. I imagine the prosecutor might be willing to dismiss 2 or 3 of the tickets if you plead guilty and pay the rest. So just show up on your court date and ask what your options are.

    Are you sure you didn't argue with the Trooper? That's an awful lot of equipment violations. Too many to even fit on one of my tickets. Someone has got to be doing something pretty egregious to cause me to bust out another ticket. I think the last time that happened it was way more serious stuff like No DL, No Insurance, No Child Safety Seat, Speeding, and No License Plate.

    Yea, I dont even give police officers attitude, i would think twice about giving a state trooper attitude. Also, thank you for your support. I was thinking the exact same thing. Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    You do not get to dictate how the questions are answered.

    It is the policy of peace officers on this forum NOT to assist people with strategies on how to get out of traffic citations
    Im sorry, I was not aware of these policy's. Also I am not looking for a strategy, I have never spoken to a prosecutor, and I was just trying to find out some more information on how to address the persecutor and ask for a lesser plea. Anything I should say or do, or possible show up. I was a volunteer firefighter for 6 years.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by L-1 View Post
    Forgive me but I am confused here. You have pled not guilty but based on your later posts indicating things had been corrected -

    1. Wasn't the front plate slanted and obstructed?

    2. Wasn't the back plate dirty and obstructed?

    3. Was the tread depth of the tire greater than the required amount?

    4. Were or were not the windows tinted?

    I guess my problem is, why are you pleading not guilty when based on the content of your posts, it appears you are guilty? It strikes me that we're not dealing with a case of you being in the right. Instead, it seems that you simply don't want to be wrong, irrespective of the facts.

    One of the minimum requirements to be a police officer is the ability to accurately interpret facts and to accept reality. You appear to be lacking in those skills. Based on what you are doing here, I'm beginning to suspect you may have difficulty getting past the psych.

    Come back and retest in about five years.
    I handed in my PLEA which was NOT GUILTY. After i had done that, I got a court date for march. Right after I got the ticket, I fixed everything. Even took off the tints.

    1. The vehicle did not have the front license plate on.

    2. The back plate was dirty, I wiped the sand off and it was visible again.

    3. Yes it was greater. I went to my local precinct and asked an officer and he said they're alright and I should be okay if I were to show the judge.

    4. My windows were tinted. After I received the ticket, I removed the ticket.


    People always say plea NOT guilty so you can get a court date and talk to the prosecutor about lowering the offense. However, yes I am guilty.

    Like i said, I am trying to be a police officer I have yet college to complete. I am not a police officer and I have alot of things to learn. alot alot alot. I am sorry if i lack some skills.
    Last edited by mynameismoe; 02-26-2013 at 01:56 AM.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Hanmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    168
    I generally just give people citations, I don't really help them get out of them....
    wutzcrack3n likes this.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by XD4ME View Post
    Maybe things are different in that part of the country, but around here even the troopers would not drop that many equipment cites on a person unless they seriously failed the tried and true "***hole test". I was not there, but I would imagine the roadside exchange of words could have gone better.
    I was very respectful to the officer. Im a good kid, and I would never disrespect an officer, especially for something so minute. I guess he thought i deserved it becuase my car is black, windows are 35% tinted, rims are black and the chrome accenting on the car are black. A few kids died on the same road 4 months back, and I guess he wanted to teach me a lesson. Oh well!

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHighspeeder View Post
    I love how this guy has an excuse for everything. Honesty and integrity are what makes a LEO and you sir seem to be lacking these traits.
    I dont have an excuse for everything. I am trying to be honest as possible. I am not a police officer, I would love to be and I am trying my hardest to be one. If you feel I am lacking these traits, I wish once day long enough in my career I can possess these traits. Thank you!

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanmo View Post
    I generally just give people citations, I don't really help them get out of them....
    Im not trying to get out. Theres no way out. Im just asking for some help how to address the prosecutor and what to say and when the best time to go and speak to him would be. Thats all sir.

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    My guess is the operative phrases indicated below were probably the driving factor
    What I meant by "not breaking any traffic violations" was not speeding, belts, lane change, signaling or anything like that.

    4 teens died on the same road few months back due to a DUI. After that they started to crack down, that is possibly why the trooper thought I speed.

    I guess me telling them that I am trying to me a police officer, he felt that I was trying to get out of a ticket, thus giving me more.I was given volunteer firefighter sticker which i had placed above my registration, and he saw them but didn't say anything. I was very respectful , and had my hands on the steering wheel the whole time.

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by covman454 View Post
    Since you are wanting to be a cop, here is what will happen. I didn't see where you mentioned if you were in a hiring process or not. This traffic stop will be discovered during your background and your investigator will contact the trooper who stopped you. If you had an attitude, good luck moving on in a process. As others have stated, a trooper writing that much paper on you raises red flags which will make your BI dig deeper.

    My biggest issue is with you saying that you weren't breaking any traffic laws. Obviously you were, otherwise the trooper would not have hung paper on you. Part of being a cop is accepting responsibility for your own actions. It has been my experience that if you cannot accept this responsibility you will either not get hired or your career will be very short. If your vehicle had been maintained according to the traffic code then you would not have been cited.

    Good luck.

    Covman
    First, I would like to start by saying I did not give the trooper any attitude at all. Why would i destroy my career and give him attitude over something so small. I have much respect for law enforcement officers. I still have a few more year in finishing school up and them getting into the academy. Ive only given a written test to see how well I do, and where I stand. My dad(R.I.P) was a police officer for NYPD for 25 years, and I spoke to his old buddy who gave me another guys to talk to who is doing everything for me so I can get into the same precinct where he serves. He knows Im a good kid, and I told him what happened and he laughed.

    I take responsibly, I know i got these tickets. that is why i am not saying " OH NO WTH THE TROOPER IS WRONG BLAH BLAH", I am just asking for suggestions on how to talk to a prosecutor and what do I say and how should I ask for a plea agreement or bargain.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,955
    I'm going to attempt to keep this simple. Obviously, you feel the citation(s) were issued in error, that you were "singled out", or that you were inappropriately charged. You do seem to have a rather unusual thought process, in that you admit guilt to several of the charges the Trooper made. No problem, it's folks like you who make this job so interesting, and yes, even fun.

    Now, here comes the sage legal advice for which I'm not even going to charge you a consultation fee. You have the right to plead not guilty, and should exercise that right by requesting a trial before the Judge.

    The Trooper will be present to testify, you'll be given an opportunity to cross examine him/her. The court will rule on the citations. Be certain to take a substantial amount of cash with you to take care of fines/court costs should you be found guilty and fines/costs be assessed.

    You've decided against retaining counsel, which of course, is your choice. It could end up being a bad choice, but then, what's life without all those hard decisions?

    You've indicated that you desire to speak with the Prosecutor concerning a "Plea agreement". While some negotiations are possible, I feel confident the Prosecutor would agree to your pleading guilty. That however, is once more your call.

    I would suggest that you have the violations for which you were cited corrected, and that you bring evidence of said correction with you to show either the Prosecutor as you negotiate your "Plea agreement", or the Judge as he/she prepares to fine you, in the very likely event you're found guilty.
    mynameismoe likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register