Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any fellow Ammo Reloaders on here?

The Poo Magnet

Cool Any fellow Ammo Reloaders on here?

Just wanting to know if anyone else on here reloads their own ammo. Maybe share some good recipies and/or places to get primers, powders and projectiles. I know since all this BS recently, finding supplies is like trying to find teets on a bull.
    Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

Forum Member

I reload for all my centerfire guns that are not semi-auto (don't like picking up all the brass). I buy most of my equipment and bullets from Midway and buy powder and primers locally to save on the hazardus materials shipping. Bullets for callibers other than .22, .30, 9mm, .40, and .45 can usually still be found with some looking.

Lately I have been focusing on my other calibers until the market settles down. Fortunatly I am pretty well set on powder and primers. I am currently looking into moving up to a progressive reloader.

Anyone have suggestions for a reasonably priced progressive loader that will work for multiple calibers including magnum rifles?

Forum Member
    I am reloading 357 and 38s. I was thinking about starting 40s. I was able to get some supplies before the run hit. I was able to get some bullseye powder, that's the good news. The bad, I had to buy 8 pounds of it as that was all the supplier had left. Oh well, better to have too much than none at all. I will run out of primers and bullets before powder.
    Last edited by IAM Rand; 03-13-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    "Don't make perfect the enemy of good."

There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

Frederick Douglass

Mega Infidel
    I used to reload mostly 5.56mm for Service Rifle/High Power Rifle matches. Now I am getting back to reloading and will start load up 5.56mm with 69 gr Sierra BTHP with Win748 powder and .308 Winchester with 168 gr sierra BTHP.

I may venture into reloading some pistol calibers as well.

Caution: Unvetted member.
    I wish I had the wherewithall to start reloading. My daughter moved out and I had plans to turn her room into a reloading room, but it turned into a "craft" room instead. Not MY craft I tell you.

As it is, I have 5.56 ammo cans full of factory .22LR, .38Spec, .357 Mag, 9mm, .40SW, .410 Shotgun, .45Colt, .45ACP and .243 Win. Those're the firearms I own right now.

Now; when my boy moves out; I'll have a place to hang my hats, but not for a reloading bench I'm afraid.
    Last edited by KenW.; 02-25-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member
    Yo, if you want to get rid o some of those 357 s I would be willing to take them........if the Price is right.

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

Frederick Douglass

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by FiVo3 View Post
    Just wanting to know if anyone else on here reloads their own ammo.

Yup..

Maybe share some good recipies and/or places to get primers,.
    Places fer' components...Nope, not many right now Sire Officer..

I wouln't deviate from tha' books. Now headspace'in is a diff story..I never loaded real hot loads. After balancing the pros and cons I figure i give up a little velocity for accuracy if nutt'in else..

One of the few exceptions is when I was load'in for da' T.C. 14' BBL in 221 fireball..It seemed to group better with the hotter loads..the load would pop the primer out just a hair and ya' could spy just a bit of "flow" on it..but It never excracted hard and i was shoot'in metallic silhouette, so i kinda' needed it fer' them big ole' nasty heavy rams..

Quote Originally Posted by IAM Rand View Post
    I am reloading 357 and 38s. I was thinking about starting 40s. I was able to get some supplies before the run hit. I was able to get some bullseye powder, that's the good news. The bad, I had to buy 8 pounds of it as that was all the supplier had left. Oh well, better to have to much than none at all. I will run out of primers and bullets before powder.

Bullseye is a gawddamn fast burn'in propellant Sire Det...Damn good all-rounder fer' pistol fodder though..IMO..You'll have plenty case capacity left over!

If your thow'in it though, make sure ya' don't do a double charge da' cart...ya' will know it, after the fact!
    FiVo3 likes this.
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by KenW. View Post
    .410 Shotgun, .45Colt, .243 Win. Those're the firearms I own right now.

Ummm whats da' make and Model of ya' .410??

Is dat' .45 colt a colt SAA?? And what is tha' make and model of dat' sweet .243..Taint' a Sako is it???

Quote Originally Posted by KenW. View Post
    Now; when my boy moves out; I'll have a place to hang my hats, but not for a reloading bench I'm afraid.

Den what? Whats mo' 'portant dan' a gun room or two? why I cain't fer' da' life of me think of nutt'in more important, except maybe a real classy wet bar and dance'in girl'z..
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Caution: Unvetted member.
    Better than Sako; My .243 is a Voere with set triggers and a Lisenfeld 4-12X56 scope, the .410 /.45 Colt is a Bond Arms derringer. I have three sheds out back for overflow of less-prized possessions like ATVs and lawn mowers.
    Last edited by KenW.; 02-25-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Senior Veteran

I reload for everything I shoot, except .22lr and shotgun. I've been reloading for about 22 years now.
    Steve

Forum Member

For those on the fence, you can get into reloading for not a whole lot of money. Lee makes a kit that is sufficient for starters, costs about $120 and works quite well. Add a set of dies, bullets, powder, and primers and you are ready to go. You can add equipment one piece at a time as you have money to make things a bit easier and faster.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by XD4ME View Post
    I reload for all my centerfire guns that are not semi-auto (don't like picking up all the brass). I buy most of my equipment and bullets from Midway and buy powder and primers locally to save on the hazardus materials shipping. Bullets for callibers other than .22, .30, 9mm, .40, and .45 can usually still be found with some looking.

Lately I have been focusing on my other calibers until the market settles down. Fortunatly I am pretty well set on powder and primers. I am currently looking into moving up to a progressive reloader.

Anyone have suggestions for a reasonably priced progressive loader that will work for multiple calibers including magnum rifles?
    Reasonably priced depends on your definition!

Dillon makes a very good progressive press that SHOULD work for everything you mentioned, the RL550B.....they also make the RL650, but I don't think that will work for the big belted magnums.

Another option (depending on how much room you have to set up stuff) is to go with a progressive loader for your 'high consumption' reloads, and then a single stage RCBS rockchucker for stuff that you aren't going to shoot a lot of at one time....the single stage also allows more control on exact powder charges ect.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

LA DEP, I have looked at the RL550B and also the Hornady Lock n Load but am still in the research phase. I have been reloading on a single stage for about 7 years and can still use that for my larger cases like .45-70 and 7mm Mag. The main reason for upgrading to a progressive would be to start loading .45 ACP, .223/5.56 and other high volume calibers. If the progressive will throw consistant charges I may also use it for .308 Win. If anyone has experience good or bad with either the Dillon or Hornaday let me know!

Molon Labe
    I have (and love) a RL550B.....never had any issues with it.....Dillon has a 'no BS' policy on all of their machines....if it breaks, they fix or REPLACE it for free, and it doesn't matter if you are the original owner or even if you broke it by your asshattery.

It will load 223.....I THINK it will load 308, but I would not trust the powder measure to throw 100% consistent charges to the level that you need match 308 to be though...there are some aftermarket items you can use/put on the powder measure that are supposed to greatly improve the consistency...I have never used any of them though.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

I reload 9mm, .45ACP, have the dies for .380 and .308. I just sold my .308 though, so no reason to run any right now.

My rig is also in storage right now, so I am not buying components, but I guess I should be.

Forum Member

What he said. The dillon powder drop is great for reliable function, but you will need to measure each powder charge for 800-1000yd ammo.

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    I spend a good 30 hours a week reloading. Once you go blue you never go back.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Forum Member

Another reloader here. I reload a lot of .223, .308, 45 ACP, 40S&W, and 9mm. If you are looking to go the route of the progressive press, the only two options in my book are the Dillon and the Hornady. I personally love the Dillon presses, however I currently own a Hornady Lock'n'load press and would highly recommend it for someone who does a lot of caliber changes. Changing calibers on the Dillon is a bit more cumbersome, but still easily doable.

Currently getting bullets and primers has been easy locally, I just cannot seem to get any of my go to powders. Hopefully that will change soon as I'm getting dangerously low on powder for my bolt actions.

As has been said by others, for long range ammo you're going to be measuring each individual charge, however it still is much quicker with the progressive.

Btw, has anyone ever tries to reload 5.7x28? I've heard it is pretty temperamental, but would love to get a good load that works and is safe.

Forum Member

Thank you all for your advice on the progressive reloaders. I have watched some videos on how they work and they seem pretty slick. They do sell kits for loading large calibers for the Dillon 550b but you bring up a good point of extruded powder having difficulties metering reliably. My .308 is a heavy barrel, just for fun target/tactical rifle so I should probably just stick with the single stage press for it. I am still interested in a progressive for the pistols and AR though.

Forum Member
    I have a RCBS and have had very few problems. I did have a decapper break on me. Another is on the way. Single stage.

Frederick Douglass

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XD4ME View Post
    My .308 is a heavy barrel, just for fun target/tactical rifle so I should probably just stick with the single stage press for it.
    Honestly you can still use the progressive for loading your .308 if you're only looking for that kind of use. You can load a reliable enough round for 500-600 yards no problem with a progressive press and a powder measure. It's the really long range precision stuff you'll have to measure each load.
    XD4ME likes this.

Forum Member
    I'm very interested in reloading, just need to set up some space in the garage and get a nice bench to mount it on.

Are all the supplies readily available? Or have they been hit hard with the current market as well? I dont want to buy all the equipment and have nothing to reload.

Forum Member

Depends on what the local market is like there. I can get plenty of primers and bullets locally if I search hard enough, powder is the biggest bottleneck right now for me. You might want to check to see what is available locally as that's likely your best bet right now. Sure, some stuff is coming down the pipe online, but a lot of the listed lead times online have been not exactly correct...

The Poo Magnet
    I went to a gun show the other week and found small rifle primers. At least the guy didnt try to work the system and I got a box (1000) for $30. Also found some (about 100) once fired 5.56 brass that a guy didnt know what he really had for $5!

I have been reloading .40 for a few years now, and run 5.0g of bullseye with a 165g FMJ. Seems to be very accurate and VERY similar to our factory practice ammo. However we are fixing to go to 180g next qualifying session.

I just have a LEE single stage press and it has served me well. I have had one issue with the .223/5.56 seating die... It will not seat 50g V-max bullets far enough. (I use 50g for varmint hunting) I can only seat to 2.247 and need it to go to 2.235. After looking on the interwebs it looks like everyone is having the same issue, so I am going to see if I can have the die milled down about .020 soo I can have some room to work with. Keep in mind that the .223 seating die does not crimp, I have a factory crimp die for that.
    Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

Che
    Forum Member

...Also found some (about 100) once fired 5.56 brass that a guy didnt know what he really had for $5!
    I thought I had a great deal on 7.62 military brass. But it was only good for one loading. Turns out the brass was once fired, in a M-60 machine gun. My L1A1 did not like that at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last