Page 1 of 11 1234 ... Last
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: 2013 NYS Correction Officer Exam/County Correction Officer Exams

Forum Member

2013 NYS Correction Officer Exam/County Correction Officer Exams

Anyone signed up to take the upcoming NYS Correction Officer Exam or any of the County Correction Officer Exams coming up in April? I'm cross filed to take eight of them.
    Last edited by shawncook; 02-23-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Forum Member

Nice. :-) Good luck!
    Last edited by Bk2yo; 02-24-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Forum Member

Are any still open to apply?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leo723 View Post
    Are any still open to apply?
    I think today and tomorrow is the last days for many of them....I don't think any of them go past the 27th of Feb.

"Put a rush on the bus"
    What counties are giving the exam?
    Last edited by NYCpoorest; 02-25-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shawncook View Post
    Anyone signed up to take the upcoming NYS Correction Officer Exam or any of the County Correction Officer Exams coming up in April? I'm cross filed to take eight of them.
    Hey Shawn, so far I signed up for NYSDOC and Nassau County, which other ones are available and all I have to do is contact NY State civil service commission to inform them that I be taking multiple exams that day? How does that work is it one test, or each would be different?

Thanks for any responses!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nygmen21 View Post
    Hey Shawn, so far I signed up for NYSDOC and Nassau County, which other ones are available and all I have to do is contact NY State civil service commission to inform them that I be taking multiple exams that day? How does that work is it one test, or each would be different?

Yes all you would have to do is file a cross filer form for each department you want to test with and send it in with your application and examination fee. (separate fees for each exam) You will only take one exam and the results will be sent to each of the departments you have applied to test with.

"Put a rush on the bus"

Rockland are also giving a test
    Last edited by NYCpoorest; 02-25-2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: putnam is not giving a exam

Forum Member

If you are only signed up for Nassau County and NYS then all you have to do is submit a cross file form to Nassau County, look on their civil service website for that. You have to take the exam at the site of the NYS exam. You do not need to know exactly where you are taking it, just tell Nassau that you are taking it at the state examination center. You do not need to do anything extra for the state.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan911 View Post
    If you are only signed up for Nassau County and NYS then all you have to do is submit a cross file form to Nassau County, look on their civil service website for that. You have to take the exam at the site of the NYS exam. You do not need to know exactly where you are taking it, just tell Nassau that you are taking it at the state examination center. You do not need to do anything extra for the state.
    Thank you for all of your replies. I spoke with a Nassau County C.S. rep and she told me to just include a note with my application that I will be taking the NYSDOC exam as well and they will take it from there. Hope that's all I had to do!!

All things to all people!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCpoorest View Post
    What counties are giving the exam?
    Ulster and Dutchess.
    NYCpoorest likes this.

Forum Member

How many people usually get hired off of these exams?

Is it as difficult and long of a waiting period to be hired as with most of the police jobs?

Will having a bachelors degree look really good or just be somewhat standard when they are looking at peoples resumes?

I know with a lot of the police exams you need at least a 90 to get canvassed before the new exam comes out, does the same apply here?

Is being a correction officer something that looks really good when applying for police jobs?

Thanks to whoever answers any of these questions.

Forum Member

How many people usually get hired off of these exams?

Is it as difficult and long of a waiting period to be hired as with most of the police jobs?

Will having a bachelors degree look really good or just be somewhat standard when they are looking at peoples resumes?

I know with a lot of the police exams you need at least a 90 to get canvassed before the new exam comes out, does the same apply here?

Is being a correction officer something that looks really good when applying for police jobs?

Thanks to whoever answers any of these questions.
    It's just as difficult to get a position as a Correction Officer as it is to get a job as a Police Officer in New York State. Most of these positions exist in the county Sheriff Departments and use the exact same standards and hiring process to pull from the civil service exam lists.

As far as having a BA degree putting you ahead of the competition? No most agencies only care about you having the minimum qualifications (NYS DOCC)

Just like any other Law Enforcement job in New York state you must score very high on the civil service exam to get canvassed. Think about it.... If the department is hiring only two or three positions within the entire life of the eligibility list... They will never reach the 80's. It all depends on the size of the department and how many positions they are looking to hire.

I know Onondaga County always has a hard time keeping Correction Officers and made it to the very bottom of the Civil Service list to hire.. But that happens very rarely. (There are also two different departments that hire from the same exact list)

As far as using a Correction Officer position to get you a leg op on the competition when trying to switch to a Police Officer position... That won't happen. Most agencies only care that you have a solid work history. A guy who worked at McDonalds for seven straight years with no actions against him could get hired over you...

The point is.. You either want to be a Police Officer or you want to be a Correction Officer. They are two different positions that use the same hiring process... Don't use one to try and look good on your resume to get a job at a different agency.
    Last edited by shawncook; 02-28-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Forum Member

It's just as difficult to get a position as a Correction Officer as it is to get a job as a Police Officer in New York State. Most of these positions exist in the county Sheriff Departments and use the exact same standards and hiring process to pull from the civil service exam lists.
    Understood, thank you for the response. I have a slightly different question now. Let's say someone does become a correction officer and has a good work record. Then a little ways down the road a police job opens up and they go for it. Is there any negative things that could come of that situation that one should think about?

Forum Member

Understood, thank you for the response. I have a slightly different question now. Let's say someone does become a correction officer and has a good work record. Then a little ways down the road a police job opens up and they go for it. Is there any negative things that could come of that situation that one should think about?
    I understand that your goal is to become a Police Officer. If you worked Corrections for a few years and were then offered a position with a Police Department and decided to take the job there would be no problem. A police department would not look down on someone who was making the switch from Corrections to Police work. Infact it happens all the time. Corrections isn't for everyone... But many people take the job and end up loving it (especially with the pay, benefits, and basically being able to make your own schedule). Heck, you might get into Corrections and love the work and turn down an offer for a Police Officer position. If the chance comes and you get offered a position as a Correction Officer take it...

Forum Member

I understand that your goal is to become a Police Officer. If you worked Corrections for a few years and were then offered a position with a Police Department and decided to take the job there would be no problem. A police department would not look down on someone who was making the switch from Corrections to Police work. Infact it happens all the time. Corrections isn't for everyone... But many people take the job and end up loving it (especially with the pay, benefits, and basically being able to make your own schedule). Heck, you might get into Corrections and love the work and turn down an offer for a Police Officer position. If the chance comes and you get offered a position as a Correction Officer take it...
    Will do. Thank you for your input.

All things to all people!

As far as having a BA degree putting you ahead of the competition? No most agencies only care about you having the minimum qualifications (NYS DOCC)

Just like any other Law Enforcement job in New York state you must score very high on the civil service exam to get canvassed. Think about it.... If the department is hiring only two or three positions within the entire life of the eligibility list... They will never reach the 80's. It all depends on the size of the department and how many positions they are looking to hire.

I know Onondaga County always has a hard time keeping Correction Officers and made it to the very bottom of the Civil Service list to hire.. But that happens very rarely. (There are also two different departments that hire from the same exact list)

As far as using a Correction Officer position to get you a leg op on the competition when trying to switch to a Police Officer position... That won't happen. Most agencies only care that you have a solid work history. A guy who worked at McDonalds for seven straight years with no actions against him could get hired over you...

The point is.. You either want to be a Police Officer or you want to be a Correction Officer. They are two different positions that use the same hiring process... Don't use one to try and look good on your resume to get a job at a different agency.
    I would think that police agencies would give preference to correction officers over the general populace without any law enforcement experience. Provided that the CO is reachable for appointment under the 1 in 3 rule. However; the civil service police exams in New York use "zone scoring" which places candidates in the 70s,80s, and 90 scoring bands. This gives the appointing officer more latitude in making appointments with a greater selection of candidates to chose from. Correction Officers learn first hand HOW to run a housing unit and maintain interactions with incarcerated offenders. It is an excellent testing, training and proven ground for potential police officers. Corrections is an honorable profession with a 25 year retirement at any age [in New York State and the counties contained].
    Jon6002 likes this.

Forum Member

How we know where we gona take the exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WRESTLER View Post
    How we know where we gona take the exam?
    They will send you a letter a week-two weeks before the exam

Forum Member
    wonder when the results will come in for this exam taken back in april 2013
    Exams Taken:
    NYPD, NYPDSSA ,NYPDTEA NYCDEP, NYCDOC ,NYCDOS Enforcement, PAPD ,NYSDOC, NYPD dispatcher, NCPD, NYS Trooper, NYS University Police (downstate/upstate), Monroe County PD, Chenango Sheriff, Rochester PD, YPD ,OC Sheriff.

In Process:
    NYPDPC Exam 2214
    APD5- Complete
    Medical- Complete

JST- 11/20/2013
    Oral/Psyc- 11/27/2013
    Mini Med - ?

Forum Member
    good luck everyone
    Last edited by BLOCKF; 08-03-2013 at 10:38 AM.

"Put a rush on the bus"
    Maybe we might get our state scores soon hopefully
    PO_Rubio likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCpoorest View Post
    Maybe we might get our state scores soon hopefully
    we can only hope so. I just know that exam broke my head by the time I walked out so hope I scored in the 80s but will be happy with just passing.
    Exams Taken:
    NYPD, NYPDSSA ,NYPDTEA NYCDEP, NYCDOC ,NYCDOS Enforcement, PAPD ,NYSDOC, NYPD dispatcher, NCPD, NYS Trooper, NYS University Police (downstate/upstate), Monroe County PD, Chenango Sheriff, Rochester PD, YPD ,OC Sheriff.

In Process:
    NYPDPC Exam 2214
    APD5- Complete
    Medical- Complete

JST- 11/20/2013
    Oral/Psyc- 11/27/2013
    Mini Med - ?

Forum Member
    Pretty discouraged waiting for the scores and seeing they just closed 4 jails here in NYS. My one buddy that started in January said he heard they weren't "certifying" the last test (the one we took). What does that mean? I don't know exactly, is it directly from the source, not really, so I try to take it with a grain of salt and continue to be hopeful and wait wait wait.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffs11 View Post
    Pretty discouraged waiting for the scores and seeing they just closed 4 jails here in NYS. My one buddy that started in January said he heard they weren't "certifying" the last test (the one we took). What does that mean? I don't know exactly, is it directly from the source, not really, so I try to take it with a grain of salt and continue to be hopeful and wait wait wait.
    No job is guaranteed, we take these exams to have a possible chance of getting a job. All we can do is keep our heads up and continue trying till we land our lucky day in a LE job.
    Exams Taken:

In Process:
    NYPDPC Exam 2214
    APD5- Complete
    Medical- Complete

JST- 11/20/2013
    Oral/Psyc- 11/27/2013
    Mini Med - ?

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... Last