Thread: Systema MA?

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...

Systema MA?

Was watching this vid on Systema. I don't know much about it but it looks interesting. I have no doubt someone with an extensive background in this MA would kick my butt, but I'm left wondering just how real world applicable some of it is, especially the knife/empty hands work in the beginning of this vid is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ATLOmmxwU

My understanding is most knife disarm MA against a committed attacker is a quick way to get yourself killed, but i'm no expert on the topic. I'm thinking it's gonna look more like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLlz...layer_embedded

Thoughts?
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Go on, touch it...
    No doubt, go up against a knife, you will get cut.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Forum Member
    I have read LOTS of info/testimonials about how bad (unrealistic for street or even sport fighting applications) Systema is over at bullshido.com
    Now, I have my issues with that website, but a few who trained in Systema posted some weird (hocus pocus) and almost all negative stuff about the art and some outright flamed it as being terrible.

Just watched the first video posted and I 110% believe that guy would get stabbed to death by any real, committed knife attack.
    Last edited by brownj21; 02-25-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Forum Member

As a current practitioner of a blade fighting martial art, Pikiti Tersia Kali, I'm not a fan of those knife avoidance moves. That's a quick way to catch a blade in a very bad area. One has to work on intercepting the blade wielding arm , not dancing around it trying to look pretty and NEVER take your eyes off that blade. Every blade fighting expert will tell you that once you start going up against knives, you're gonna get cut. The question is where and how bad.
    Last edited by usmc_0352; 02-25-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc_0352 View Post
    As a current practitioner of a blade fighting martial art, Pikiti Tersia Kali, I'm not a fan of those knife avoidance moves. That's a quick way to catch a blade in a very bad area. One has to work on intercepting the blade wielding arm , not dancing around it trying to look pretty and NEVER take your eyes off that blade. Every blade fighting expert will tell you that once you start going up against knives, you're gonna get cut. The question is where and how bad.
    Done some Kali myself, and agree with this.