Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Running shoes for academy?

Forum Member

Running shoes for academy?

My old Nike's are over 5 years old and I'd like to get a fresh new pair of running shoes for the academy. Can anyone recommend me a good pair that will last all 6 months? I really like the NB M3090 but some of the reviews say it has durability issues. Thanks!
    miss0fficer likes this.
    Serving Anne Arundel County since 2005

MU
    Forum Member

I just bought brooks for my academy. So far so good!
    I recommend going to a shoe/running specific store. One where they can watch you walk and tell you exactly what kind of shoe you need.
    Reef_Cop and TheTick like this.

Forum Member

I suggest going to a running store and having a gait analysis done. You might end up spending more than $60 for a decent pair of running shoes, but it will be worth it.

Keep in mind that the insoles are generally made of very cheap materials and wear out a lot faster than aftermarket ones. Most original insoles will wear out well before the outsoles on a decent pair of running shoes.

I currently alternate between a pair of asics and a pair of new balance. Both have spenco polysorb total support insoles and this combo works for me.

Forum Member

We did do running and PT in our academy, but half the time it was on the spot punishment for something or other, so we were doing it in our boots and BDUs.

For "scheduled" PT/runs, I had a pair of Asics that did fine.

Forum Member

The Asics Nimbus 14. They're expensive, but great.

Forum Member

Buy an actual pair of "running shoes" not just the "newest kicks in town." A quality pair (Brooks, Asics, New Balance, etc) will cost upwards of $100. I suggest going to a running shoe store and having them put you on a treadmill and film you running, they will be able to recommend a specific shoes that will fit your needs. Once you have that suggestion go to promotive.com and buy a pair for a good discount 25%? (sign up immediately because it takes a few days to verify).

You should not wear shoes past 500 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.

Forum Member

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12

DO IT NOW!
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    My old Nike's are over 5 years old and I'd like to get a fresh new pair of running shoes for the academy. Can anyone recommend me a good pair that will last all 6 months? I really like the NB M3090 but some of the reviews say it has durability issues. Thanks!
    A few people have mentioned them already, but I'm using the Brooks GTS 12s in my academy, and they are great. The running store I got them from did the gait analysis, and I found something in the way I roll my foot I didn't know even existed, and it helped make running a lot more comfortable for me than before. I really recommend going to a place that does this, as knee/ankle/other injuries will not be a good thing. Set me back about $100, but definitely worth the cost over a $40 pair of shoes from a non-specialty store.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12

DO IT NOW!
    This. I bought these shoes and they are excellent. I didn't notice a difference the first few run but, now that they're broken in, they are excellent. You will find that you will be able to run more effortlessly than before and will not tire out as quickly, especially if you're like me and had never had a pair of true running shoes before.
    "It is not how these officers died that makes them heroes -- It is how they lived." - Vivian A. Eney

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton41 View Post
    This. I bought these shoes and they are excellent. I didn't notice a difference the first few run but, now that they're broken in, they are excellent. You will find that you will be able to run more effortlessly than before and will not tire out as quickly, especially if you're like me and had never had a pair of true running shoes before.
    Not to mention that my knees don't get nearly as sore as they did if I used generic shoes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul150 View Post
    Not to mention that my knees don't get nearly as sore as they did if I used generic shoes.
    This is music to my ears. I suffer from a slight IT Band problem, sometimes if I don't spend the time to stretch it out, it rubs against the outside of my knee and ends up in me having to slow to a walking pace with extreme pain. Sometimes its fine, its kind of hit or miss. Worse case scenario, I pop an Aleve before I run to keep it from flaring up.

Forum Member

Get some Nike's with a Fitsole 4.....they mold perfectly to your feet after about 2 weeks.

Forum Member
    Ransom, since you know it is your IT band, do you know how to fix it?
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin.

Forum Member
    Shoes are a frequent subject, and I often see people recommending specific brands that worked wonders for them, but this might not work for you. I posted my generalized response to picking out the best shoes "for you" in the health and fitness section.
    CptCAV likes this.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyWA View Post
    Ransom, since you know it is your IT band, do you know how to fix it?
    I've researched stretches to do frequently to loosen it up. I plan on getting a foam roller too to do some of those painful exercises.
    Priester68 likes this.

Forum Member
    I've researched stretches to do frequently to loosen it up. I plan on getting a foam roller too to do some of those painful exercises.
    Foam rollers are miracle workers. Great to use when your just sitting around watching tv at the end of the day.

Forum Member

This is music to my ears. I suffer from a slight IT Band problem, sometimes if I don't spend the time to stretch it out, it rubs against the outside of my knee and ends up in me having to slow to a walking pace with extreme pain. Sometimes its fine, its kind of hit or miss. Worse case scenario, I pop an Aleve before I run to keep it from flaring up.
    Hey man, you may already know this, but one way to fix ITB irritation that I've found is to strengthen the lateral muscles on your legs by doing lateral skips. Another great exercise is tying an elastic band around your lower thighs, stand in a half-squat position, and walk laterally back and forth for 30sec. to a minute. Foam rollers are also excellent, and not just for ITB either.
    I had that issue once when I went back to hard road training for boxing after taking a summer off. I focused on these exercises and spent more time doing an active warmup before each workout, and it resolved fairly quickly. That's what worked for me at least .
    Last edited by miketheberkeleygrad; 02-26-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Elaborated

Forum Member

Thanks for all the tips guys, I really do appreciate it. Thats the only thing that has me worried sick about running a lot in the academy. Hopefully enough preventative measures will help out.

Forum Member
    Ransom, I was hoping to give you some advice, but mike beat me to it and did a great job. It will take time, but it will get better. Good luck!

Forum Member

switched from nike to brooks, best decision of my life.

Forum Member

I just got some Brooks Ghost 5's. I also have a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 12 GTS. Both are great pair of running shoes!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan34 View Post
    I just got some Brooks Ghost 5's. I also have a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 12 GTS. Both are great pair of running shoes!

Yup the brooks fives are great, my current pair.

Forum Member

So you bought a pair of neutral shoes and a pair of stability support. Let me know how that works out. I tried the gts-12 and ended up with shin splints. Went back to the ghost and feel much better.

Forum Member

While I wait on the PA Troopers hiring process to finish up, I'm currently working for New Balance in the Philly area, and I prefer Brooks. One of the best made shoes you can buy. Best bet is to go to a store that focuses specifically on running shoes and they can do a gait analysis on you and show you the best options for your own personal mechanics and sizing. Brooks, New Balance, Mizuno and Asics seem to be the most popular brands.

One nice aspect about most New Balance running shoes, they're American made.

Forum Member

Right now I'm wearing Brooks GTS-12's. The Marine Corps uses New Balance, and they were garbage. Another popular choice is Asics.

Asics, Brooks, and Saucony seem to be the most commonly used with marathon runners, that should tell you something. Also, check out Salomon. I have a pair of their trail running shoes, and they're awesome...the S-Lab stuff I'll probably try next but it's expensive.

And by far the BEST thing you can do is go to an actual running store, and let them observe you and fit you for shoes. This will help reduce damage to your feet and overall will provide a much better fitting shoe. Believe me, I get shin splints and have severe plantar fasciitis in both of my feet, you don't want foot pain, it SUCKS.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last