Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By deliver247
  • 1 Post By Leo723

Thread: NYS or NYC Corrections

Forum Member

NYS or NYC Corrections

I'm planning on taking the corrections exam what do you guys think its a better. I've with the state or the city correction?

Forum Member
    Take both exams.

If i had to choose between the two, i'd choose nyc doc.
    NYPD Exam
    Exam: 8051

NYC Corrections
    Exam:3300

Baltimore City PD
    In the process..

And a few other exams...

NYPD Aux.

Forum Member

Nyc makes more money

Forum Member

Nyc ....but I guess im a little bias....nah seriously i took both exams and nys doc actually called me first but the are based outta Albany so thats where u to for the process so i no plus the money sucks.
    Solid Snake12 likes this.
    Guys..."does that make sense?"

Forum Member

I've seen guys leave State Docs for City & County Docs....I've heard that the inmates are more controlled and behaved in State Corrections, oppose to the City Corrections.

Forum Member

I’m gonna through my hat in the ring for NYS Corrections even though a few years ago my Cousin left NYS for NYCDOC and told me a few stories about NYS and didn’t like it.
    NYPD Exam:2326
    Academy: January 2015!?

NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
    Academy: ???

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by republicangopmh View Post
    I’m gonna through my hat in the ring for NYS Corrections even though a few years ago my Cousin left NYS for NYCDOC and told me a few stories about NYS and didn’t like it.
    What didnt he like about NYS and which prison was he in? PM me if you'd like.
    NYPD Exam

NYC Corrections

Baltimore City PD
    In the process..

And a few other exams...

NYPD Aux.

Forum Member

Neither!! But both is a 3 yr wait....nys has academy in Albany which like boot camp and u have to leave on weekends. More money in nyc and if u live in nyc its an easier transition if you have a family.
    Ten-4 likes this.

Forum Member

I would be a little apprehensive about state bc they closed the Staten Island prison and now theyre talking about closing another two prisons upstate but thats just my two cents
    Guys..."does that make sense?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joseam53 View Post
    What didnt he like about NYS and which prison was he in? PM me if you'd like.
    Ill PM you.
    NYPD Exam:2326
    Academy: January 2015!?

NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
    Academy: ???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruGuardian View Post
    I've seen guys leave State Docs for City & County Docs....I've heard that the inmates are more controlled and behaved in State Corrections, oppose to the City Corrections.
    Pretty much better control with state more money with city...
    The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fabolous084 View Post
    Pretty much better control with state more money with city...
    Yeh, "More Money" is usually the answer why they left state for city & county docs.

Forum Member

I formerly worked for nysdocs prior to nyc pd, a few things to consider are:
    the amount of time you are looking to spend working, and what i mean is, nyc correction officers (from my understanding) are frequently stuck with overtime, whether or not it is welcomed. officers bang out sick, and since mostly everything is face to face relief, you will be stuck for overtime frequently during your work week. in nysdocs, you will be on the "stick list" for overtime also but not at the rate that it is in nyc. CO's for NYSDOCS live all over the state, from nyc and the hudson valley all the way to buffalo and the canadian border, with most assignments always in the hudson valley first. that being said, a guy from buffalo will not be commuting 4 or 5 days a week to and from the jail with an 8 hour commute, they do swaps with guys who live close to the prison and will work doubles if they so desire. the plus side of that, is that you can swap with a guy and work more hours of the day and then double your time off (practically having the firemen schedule) there are guys who do swaps all the time and have entire months off without even using their vacation time. from what i remember, nysdocs does not restrict what you carry concealed off duty, while nycdoc and nypd indemnify with a limited firearm. in terms of the academy, the nysdoc academy is much more discipline based with their treatment of recruits..you sleep there sunday night thru fri afternoon. the racial makeup of the jobs are opposite. nycdocs is probably 70-80% minority whereas nysdocs is probably 70-80% male/female whites, not that it matters but its just fact. as with any job, the actions of one person can give an entire job a bad name..whites/blacks/spanish/ whatever may be. there is increased pay for nys co's who work in the hudson valley and nyc area (location pay i believe is an additional $1500.00 - 1900.00 a yr for those who work those areas) in regards to pay, the cost of living in nyc and surrounding areas is naturally higher than the rest of the state, so the farther you live away from nyc, the less you spend, sometimes invalidating the top salary. many nysdocs employees by virtue of their schedule full of swaps have sidejobs like carpentry, plumbing, part time cops etc making more money than just relying on the fulltime job. inmate in the state system vary, most are tame, they all wear green so they are not repping their gang colors, they have to walk with their pants pulled up and shirts tucked in.. they generally are serving somewhat lengthy sentences and are aware that their behavior is scrutinized thus affecting whether they serve time closing to the hudson valley where they can get visitors from nyc, or if they are true malcontents, they will be sent as far away from the city as possible limiting their visitors.

Forum Member

From what I heard, city inmates have short sentences and know that they are getting out soon so they will act unruly vs. state inmates who have long sentences and know everything they do will be scrutinized and get them a longer sentence. Do your time in what ever calls your first and see what you would like to do...maybe join a Police Department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkny2015 View Post
    From what I heard, city inmates have short sentences and know that they are getting out soon so they will act unruly vs. state inmates who have long sentences and know everything they do will be scrutinized and get them a longer sentence. Do your time in what ever calls your first and see what you would like to do...maybe join a Police Department.

Yeh, NYCDOCS is a Multi-County jail.

From what I've heard from former state docs guys is that soon as the inmate arrives from say NYCDOCS, they give them a Rude Awakening from intake. They let the inmate know from the start that however how they were living and get into on the "Island" is not going to fly here. Back talking using profanity, expletives, derogatory terms are tolerated with zero percent. Thus, acclimating the inmate to the State system.

Forum Member

Off Topic: I recently ran into a Retiree who retired from working State Docs & NYC Docs simultaneously here in the City.

I can only imagine how his Pension(s) are looking, especially being on those old/original tiers. Imagine if this was still allowed.

Forum Member
    How'd he simultaneously retire from both? I don't understand.

Unless he, under the old tier had like 5 or 10 years vested from state DOC and a 20 year pension from the city?

Care to enlighten me?
    NYPD Exam

NYC Corrections

Baltimore City PD
    In the process..

And a few other exams...

NYPD Aux.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joseam53 View Post
    How'd he simultaneously retire from both? I don't understand.

Unless he, under the old tier had like 5 or 10 years vested from state DOC and a 20 year pension from the city?

Care to enlighten me?

No, the other way around.

The man has been retired for over 15 yrs...

So he definitely would have been Tier 3. But more than likely was in Tier 2 with the State, then vested out of NYC...I know a person that vested out of NYC Docs after 8 yrs. So this particular retiree could have at least did 10+ yrs with NYC, along side doing 25+ yrs with the STATE.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TruGuardian View Post
    No, the other way around.

The man has been retired for over 15 yrs...

So he definitely would have been Tier 3. But more than likely was in Tier 2 with the State, then vested out of NYC...I know a person that vested out of NYC Docs after 8 yrs. So this particular retiree could have at least did 10+ yrs with NYC, along side doing 25+ yrs with the STATE.
    Oh i see, thank you for clearing that up for me. Sounds like a nice pension. Good for him.
    NYPD Exam

NYC Corrections

Baltimore City PD
    In the process..

And a few other exams...

NYPD Aux.

Forum Member
    The overtime is sick in the city. I wished I had gone to the state sometimes

Forum Member

Does anyone know how it works when it comes to lateral transfer? Say someone who works as a NYS Correction Officer decides he wants to switch to a County Corrections Department/Jail. Would that person just put in a lateral transfer to that new department like they do with police departments? Or would they have to go through the whole new civil service process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shawncook View Post
    Does anyone know how it works when it comes to lateral transfer? Say someone who works as a NYS Correction Officer decides he wants to switch to a County Corrections Department/Jail. Would that person just put in a lateral transfer to that new department like they do with police departments? Or would they have to go through the whole new civil service process?
    No lateraling in CORRECTIONS....you just have to take the exam when issued, and wait for them to call you just like any other candidate.

I'm not sure, but I think B.O.P(Federal Corrections) hires off resume and experience.

You probably get more accurate answers if you peruse the corrections forum on this site.

All things to all people!
    Quote Originally Posted by shawncook View Post

That a good question about a lateral transfer from NYSDOCCS to a County Sheriff's Office/ Corrections Division within New York State. I know some SHeriff's Offices will accept lateral transfers from other S.O.s within New York State as the Correction Officer entry level civil service exams are virtually the same since they are prepared by the NYS Civil Service Commission. I think if you're a state CO seeking to transfer to a Sheriff's Office/ Corrections Division: you might try writing to the Sheriff of which county you want to be employed with. Then go from there. Be careful of what county you chose to work because the more rural counties in upstate New York pay next to nothing.