Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JustAJ

Thread: High-speed chase on I-80 near Fernley ends; suspect shoots himself to death

Forum Member

High-speed chase on I-80 near Fernley ends; suspect shoots himself to death

Glad the trooper and other innocent people did not get hurt.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20130128/NEWS01/130128033

high-speed chase ended when a man fatally shot himself while driving, causing the car to roll off the highway a little after 5 p.m. Monday near the Fernley exit on Interstate 80, Nevada Highway Patrol said.

The chase began at a traffic stop on Mustang exit on Interstate 80 involving four suspects, NHP trooper Barb Stapleton said. A suspect then stole the NHP vehicle.
    The chase headed east at speeds exceeding 100 mph.

Shots were fired at the individual during the chase. But the rollover crash was attributed to a self-inflicted gunshot wound received while passing a tractor-trailer, Stapleton said.

The self-inflicted wound was from a shotgun taken from the stolen NHP vehicle, authorities said. The suspect’s name was not released Monday night, pending positive identification and notification from family.

During the chase, other law enforcement shot out the tires of the stolen NHP vehicle. The suspect then carjacked a second vehicle, a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix, the NHP said. Neither the Grand Prix driver nor the trooper whose vehicle was stolen was harmed.

During the incident, suspect exited the NHP vehicle with the stolen shotgun and began shooting in the air before opening fire on himself, the NHP said. "He then crossed over into the westbound travel lanes where he shot himself two more times," an NHP news release states.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

8 p.m. update

The suspect did not survive his self inflicted gunshots wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene, the Nevada Highway Patrol said.

5:55 p.m. update

A high-speed chase ended when a man shot himself while driving and the car rolled off the highway a little after 5 p.m. Monday near the Fernley exit on Interstate 80, Nevada Highway Patrol said.

The chase began at a traffic stop on Mustang exit on Interstate-80 involving four suspects, NHP trooper Barb Stapleton said. A suspect then stole the NHP vehicle as dispatch reported shots fired during the theft.

The chase headed east at speeds exceeding 100 mph before the suspect who allegedly stole the NHP vehicle rolled off the highway.

Shots were fired at the individual during the chase, but the rollover was attributed to a self-inflicted shooting wound the driver made while making a pass on semi-truck, Stapleton said. He has been transported to a nearby hospital.

The man’s status was not immediately known, Stapleton said.

5:47 p.m. update

The suspect shot himself during the high-speed chase, authorities said. His condition is not known.

5:40 p.m. update

A high-speed chase ended in shots fired a little after 5 p.m. Monday near the Fernley exit on Interstate 80, Nevada Highway Patrol said.

The chase began after a traffic stop on an unknown portion of Interstate 80, NHP trooper Barb Stapleton said. The suspect involved then stole the NHP vehicle and NHP dispatch reported shots fired after the theft.

The chase headed east at speeds exceeding 100 mph before the man who allegedly stole the NHP vehicle rolled off the highway.

Shots were fired at the individual, Stapleton said. He has been transported to a nearby hospital.

The man’s status or whether he fired shots was not immediately known, Stapleton said.

5:35 p.m. update

Unconfirmed information was that two vehicles may have been carjacked during the incident, including an NHP vehicle. The RGJ is attempting to confirm details. Traffic may be slowed in the area.

5:25 p.m. update

Authorities report one person was shot during a car chase along I-80 near Fernley on Monday evening.

5:15 update

Authorities are responding to a report of a stolen vehicle along I-80 east of Sparks. They received reports of shots fired. The Nevada Highway Patrol is checking on the report. No injuries are reported. Sparks police is assisting.

Forum Member

He shot himself multiple times with a shotgun? Holy carp.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Forum Member
    I had to read that twice as well. Couldn't believe he had to do it more than once to get the job done. Especially with a shotgun....

Forum Member
    Wow. What else can I say?

Forum Member

Maybe he fired warning shots at himself first. Ole Joe would be proud.
    zigziggityzoo likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAJ View Post
    Maybe he fired warning shots at himself first. Ole Joe would be proud.
    Maybe he really hated himself and wanted to teach himself a lesson..........lesson learned.
    There are 2 different type of men on this world. Men of action, and everyone else. -

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice. -

Forum Member

I agree that must have been a mess

Forum Member

So, he was shooting himself as he was passing a tractor-trailer? I guess he wanted to make sure everyone saw him, and that if he was going to go out, he was going to make sure it would be dramatic.