Thread: It's started in NY - Refusing to Register Guns

Forum Member

It's started in NY - Refusing to Register Guns

Good.

http://gopthedailydose.com/2013/01/2...e-to-register/

The Resistance Begins: New York Gun Owners Refuse to Register

“Largest Act of Civil Disobedience in State History”

by Mac Slavo

With emotions running high in the aftermath of the Newtown Sandy Hook shooting, politicians on the State and Federal level have begun introducing legislative actions to curtail access to firearms protected by the Second Amendment. In Missouri, parents may soon be forced to register firearms with their child’s school under threat of criminal penalties. In Massachusetts, another proposal would require storage of semi-automatic rifles at government approved storage depots. And, in the State of New York, congressional representatives have already passed legislation that requires registration of every semi-automatic rifle and reduces maximum magazine capacity to 7 rounds of ammunition, and Governor Cuomo has floated the idea of gun confiscation.

Now, in what is sure to be a growing trend across the entire country, New York gun owners are organizing a resistance against what many believe to be the most, “brazen infringement on the right to keep and bear arms anywhere in the nation,” according toThe New American:

Preparations are already being made for mass resistance.
    “I’ve heard from hundreds of people that they’re prepared to defy the law, and that number will be magnified by the thousands, by the tens of thousands, when the registration deadline comes,’’ said President Brian Olesen with American Shooters Supply, among the biggest gun dealers in the state, in an interview with the New York Post.

Even government officials admit that forcing New Yorkers to register their guns will be a tough sell, and they are apparently aware that massive non-compliance will be the order of the day. “Many of these assault-rifle owners aren’t going to register; we realize that,’’ a source in the Cuomo administration told the Post, adding that officials expect “widespread violations” of the new statute.

Threats of imprisoning gun owners for up to a year and confiscating their weapons are already being issued by governor’s office, headed by a rabid anti-Second Amendment extremist who suggested before the bill passed that “confiscation” of all semi-automatic rifles was being considered. If tens or even hundreds of thousands of otherwise law-abiding citizens refuse to comply, however, analysts say New York would either have to start raising taxes and building a lot more prisons, or give up on the scheme that experts say will do nothing to reduce violence and that lawmakers say is aimed at eventual confiscation.

Activists involved in the state-wide boycott against the unconstitutional statute who spoke to the Post almost taunted authorities, saying gun owners would essentially dare authorities to “come and take it away.”

According to the paper, leaders of some of the state’s hundreds of gun clubs, dealers, and non-profit organizations, citing the New York Constitution’s guarantee that gun rights “cannot be infringed,” are currently involved in organizing the resistance. Among the primary concerns is that, with registration, authorities would know where to go for confiscation, an idea already proposed openly by Governor Cuomo himself.

“They’re saying, ‘F— the governor! F— Cuomo! We’re not going to register our guns,’ and I think they’re serious. People are not going to do it. People are going to resist,” explained State Rifle and Pistol Association President Tom King, who also serves on the National Rifle Association board of directors. “They’re taking one of our guaranteed civil rights, and they’re taking it away.”

Opponents of the right to bear arms, take heed. The American people know what you’re up to and they will not stand for it.
    The resistance has begun.

Forum Member

Gun laws like that, miserable weather, and 60% income tax... Why the eff anybody lives in NY confuses me.

Forum Member

Have any of the county prosecutors come out and stated they will not prosecute citizens for not registering?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by #6678 View Post
    Have any of the county prosecutors come out and stated they will not prosecute citizens for not registering?
    Or have police come out and said they will not arrest people who don't register their guns if they are ordered to do so?

Civil disobedience is great until you're being paid a visit at zero-dark-thirty by folks who wish to discuss your refusal to obey the law.
    He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
    shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
    - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGSRT View Post
    Gun laws like that, miserable weather, and 60% income tax... Why the eff anybody lives in NY confuses me.
    There are a lot of things I like about the northeast: Skiing, great pizza (New Haven style!), seafood, hiking, and the weather is actually great from about April to November. This is the home that I have known for 25 years (my first two years were in Iowa, but that's another story). I actually really love this place. I absolutely despise what New York and lower three New England states have become.

I'm wondering if Cuomo's little SAFE act will actually set the anti-gunners back a few years. If any civil disobedience is successful and the act is repealed, it will be a long time before anyone anywhere has the stones to try and pass an AWB or standard capacity mag ban again.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Forum Member

Both of my parents are from Upstate NY. I spent a lot of time up there as a kid and still have a lot of family up there. I love the area but I can not and will not tolerate the Liberal Government that is in place there. I've been saying for a few weeks now that we'll be seeing ordinary citizens revolt if the government try to take away their weapons.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    Or have police come out and said they will not arrest people who don't register their guns if they are ordered to do so?
    In NY state? Not sure. Other places: plenty.

Civil disobedience is great until you're being paid a visit at zero-dark-thirty by folks who wish to discuss your refusal to obey the law.
    Those doing the visiting need to decide what their oath requires, and those disobeying need to decide what liberty requires.

Depending on the decisions made, where those two requirements meet could get messy.
    VA Dutch and beachcop05 like this.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Forum Member
    This bill is one of the most poorly drafted in the history of New York's dysfunctional legislature. The State Police, a great group by the way, are tasked with registering rhese weapons. They are also now tasked with checking on all pistol permits. NYSP has about 4000 personnel. Applying the law as written would probably take at least half the force off patrol. Non-compliance will take years to enforce, since there is no listiing of the existing firearms. This law is a joke, an attempt by a Democrat elitist to fool his base. About two weeks ago Cuomo addressed Al Sharpton's organization. Andy patted himself on the back for making life safer for black children. Of course he had no statistics to show that black children are being slaughtered by legally possessed firearms. The people killing these children don't give a crap about Cuomo's new law and he knows it.
    Last edited by Dinosaur32; 01-27-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Forum Member

Yes, several NY Sheriff's so far.
    11b101abn and jcioccke like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beachcop05 View Post
    Yes, several NY Sheriff's so far.
    Right, I understand that, but I mean in a more long term fashion. When they themselves are being fired, arrested, fined, jailed, censured, or whatever else might happen to them for refusing to obey the orders of the government (local, state, or federal). It's easy to say "F this! I won't do *insert order here*" until there are serious repercussions for not doing so.
    He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
    shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
    - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

College Student
    Quote Originally Posted by GangGreen712 View Post
    There are a lot of things I like about the northeast: Skiing, great pizza (New Haven style!), seafood, hiking, and the weather is actually great from about April to November. This is the home that I have known for 25 years (my first two years were in Iowa, but that's another story). I actually really love this place. I absolutely despise what New York and lower three New England states have become.
    I'm a native of Northern Ohio which has been a democratic stronghold for years. While not a resident of Cleveland (thankfully) the City (and region) have really taken a turn for the worst. And it's thanks in large part to the decades of bad policies.

Another reason to love the south.....especially Texas. I love the peopl and the cultures....it's so much different than what I've grown up around.
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Right, I understand that, but I mean in a more long term fashion. When they themselves are being fired, arrested, fined, jailed, censured, or whatever else might happen to them for refusing to obey the orders of the government (local, state, or federal). It's easy to say "F this! I won't do *insert order here*" until there are serious repercussions for not doing so.
    How would you suggest they do it in a "long term fashion"?

Until the rubber meets the road we won't know for sure how anybody will react, or if they will change their mind.

Just because our forefathers stood their ground in Lexington when the government tried (lawfully) to seize their arms, doesn't mean anybody now will do the same... or maybe they will.
    beachcop05 likes this.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Forum Member
    Civil disobedience is great when that happens. Until then, it's just breaking the law.

If in the course of that visit you shoot a cop, it's no longer civil disobedience; it's just shooting a cop. This is why we have the Supreme Court.

Forum Member

If in the course of that visit you shoot a cop, it's no longer civil disobedience; it's just shooting a cop. This is why we have the Supreme Court.
    At the time, shooting at Redcoats was treason. Signing the Declaration of Independence was treason. Today we venerate those who did so as heroes.

It all depends on how history plays out.
    beachcop05 and jcioccke like this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfleet Officer View Post
    Civil disobedience is great when that happens. Until then, it's just breaking the law.

Agreed, and I doubt that the vast majority of people refusing to comply with registration have reached the point where they are willing to shoot a cop. Like you said, we still have the courts, and I think a lot of people are getting bold because they feel that the court will back them up against unconstitutional laws...if it even gets to that point.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Forum Member
    This refusal to register will in the long term be a relative non issue. Since no one knows who owns what guns how will any police official know that you did not register?
    beachcop05 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob2899 View Post
    I'm a native of Northern Ohio which has been a democratic stronghold for years. While not a resident of Cleveland (thankfully) the City (and region) have really taken a turn for the worst. And it's thanks in large part to the decades of bad policies.

Another reason to love the south.....especially Texas. I love the peopl and the cultures....it's so much different than what I've grown up around.
    If you got on the Ohio turnpike and drove west til you reach the last exit, and got off there, you would enter a totally different world, which shares a LOT with what you admire in the south (even the temperature today hehe)
    Jacob2899 likes this.
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    This refusal to register will in the long term be a relative non issue. Since no one knows who owns what guns how will any police official know that you did not register?
    Exactly, just keep your guns in your house and no one will ever know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    When he sees your gun and asks for your proof of registration, or runs the serial number?

I strongly disagree with a lot of firearm laws, and especially with a lot of what's being proposed around the nation. But I like my life. I'm not about to risk a felony or prison if I can avoid it, so I live in a state without a bunch of extra gun control laws.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starfleet Officer View Post

I would take a wild guess and say the majority of local cops are not dumb enough or WILLING to start confiscating people's guns.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    When he sees your gun and asks for your proof of registration, or runs the serial number?
    When will anyone see your gun, if you keep a low profile and keep it in your house?

G-14 Classified
    I know I will get blasted by someone for saying this, but people who do not learn from history are DOOMED to repeat it.

This is becoming more and more a spitting image of the Civil War and the Revolutionary War each day. Parts of it are the citizens standing up to an ever increasing oppresive government in the manner of the Revolutionary War. And state, county, and local officials are standing up for States' Rights which are the result of the Civil War, and a large part of what led to the Civil War.

The question now is, will the Federal Government wake up, or will they walk right into a repeat of history.

Say the counties and states refuse to enforce a law, in this case, unlawful gun legislation. What will the federal governemt do? Send in the military to enforce them? How well do you think that will go?
    beachcop05 and AI_guy like this.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

According to Bob Costas, Sandusky's penis raped those boys, not Sandusky.

Forum Member

When will anyone see your gun, if you keep a low profile and keep it in your house?
    That is a slippery slope to go down.

For example, now if your house is burglarized (or worse) you have to get your illegal gun out of there or into hiding before you can let the cops in.

Also I like my shooting. My guns are not meant to sit idle in a locked box.
    beachcop05 and Patrolman008 like this.

Forum Member

The NY Sheriff's Association came out in opposition to the new law: (page currently down due to high traffic volume)

http://www.nysheriffs.org/articles/s...se-ny-safe-act

portions:

•Assault weapon ban and definition of assault weapons.

We believe that the new definition of assault weapons is too broad, and prevents the possession of many weapons that are legitimately used for hunting, target shooting and self defense. Classifying firearms as assault weapons because of one arbitrary feature effectively deprives people the right to possess firearms which have never before been designated as assault weapons. We are convinced that only law abiding gun owners will be affected by these new provisions, while criminals will still have and use whatever weapons they want.

• Reduction of ammunition magazine capacity.

The new law enacts reductions in the maximum capacity of gun magazines. We believe based on our years of law enforcement experience that this will not reduce gun violence. The new law will unfairly limit the ability of law‐abiding citizens to purchase firearms in New York. It bears repeating that it is our belief that the reduction of magazine capacity will not make New Yorkers or our communities safer.

•Method of bill passage.

It is the view of the Sheriffs’ Association that anytime government decides it is necessary or desirable to test the boundaries of a constitutional right that it should only be done with caution and with great respect for those constitutional boundaries. Further, it should only be done if the benefit to be gained is so great and certain that it far outweighs the damage done by the constriction of individual liberty. While many of the provisions of the new law have surface appeal, it is far from certain that all, or even many, of them will have any significant effect in reducing gun violence, which is the presumed goal of all of us. Unfortunately the process used in adoption of this act did not permit the mature development of the arguments on either side of the debate, and thus many of the stakeholders in this important issue are left feeling ignored by their government. Even those thrilled with the passage of this legislation should be concerned about the process used to secure its passage, for the next time they may find themselves the victim of that same process. Fortunately, the Governor has shown himself open to working with interested parties to address some of the problems that arose due to the hasty enactment of this law. We will work with the Governor and the
    Legislature on these issues.

Sheriffs understand their Constitutional obligations and the concerns of constituents Sheriffs and other law enforcement officers are not called upon by this new legislation to go door‐to‐door to confiscate any weapons newly classified as assault weapons, and will not do so.

Sheriffs represent all the people, and we take an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of New York. Sheriffs will continue to enforce all laws of the state and will protect the rights of all citizens, including those rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of New York.
    Max K likes this.

Civillian
    Exactly, just keep your guns in your house and no one will ever know.
    Yea, until the state police get a list of firearm owners from the FFLs or ATF.

Smart thing is to register the firearms you actually plan to use for self defense and keep the other ones off the books.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last