• 1 Post By Dinosaur32
  • 1 Post By 1911user
  • 1 Post By Iowa #1603
  • 3 Post By XD4ME
  • 1 Post By lpstopper

Thread: NYPD no taster carry?

Forum Member

NYPD no taster carry?

Is there a specific reason the NYPD does not employ their officers with tasers (budget reason perhaps)?

I believe most, if not all, police departments across the US have this as apart of an non lethal force SOP (standard operating procedure)

Any insight from an NYPD officer(s) here? Or is not just not a department policy?

Ive done a lot of training with the X26 taser gun, and the option of having it readily available puts me at ease knowing that I don't have to use lethal force for a situation that could easily be de-escalated by non lethal force.

Just wondering..
    Last edited by StrongHearted; 01-22-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Taser* sorry smartphone autocheck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrongHearted View Post
    Is there a specific reason the NYPD does not employ their officers with tasters (budget reason perhaps)?

I believe most, if not all, police departments across the US have this as apart of an non lethal force SOP (standard operating procedure)

Any insight from an NYPD officer(s) here? Or is not just not a department policy?

Ive done a lot of training with the X26 taster gun, and the option of having it readily available puts me at ease knowing that I don't have to use lethal force for a situation that could easily be de-escalated by non lethal force.

Just wondering..
    TASER... not taster.

Buying enough TASER ECDs for the whole dept, would be a very large expense.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Forum Member
    If a moderator could edit my thread name typo I appreciate it.

Rookie

Is there a specific reason the NYPD does not employ their officers with tasers (budget reason perhaps)?

Ive done a lot of training with the X26 taser gun, and the option of having it readily available puts me at ease knowing that I don't have to use lethal force for a situation that could easily be de-escalated by non lethal force.

Just wondering..
    The taser is not a substitute for deadly force. That wasn't its design, nor the intent of the company who designed it. As an intermediate use of force when you CAN'T use deadly force, it has its place. I carry one, but have never used it other than telling people I was going to use it and painting them with the laser. That said, I'm not real impressed with my spark tests of late and would never, ever, ever pull it when I'm presented with a deadly force threat. I don't think it'd do nearly as much good as you think it would. And for what it's worth, our entire department is trained on them, but are not required to carry them and I'd say about half don't.

Forum Member
    I had heard that they were concerned with liability issues.
    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Forum Member
    Liability issues are a big concern in NY, an extremely litigious state. Also rember that, in NYC, the NYPD and other LE agencies are able to send large numbers of officers to contain situations until officers with tasers can respond. The NYPD does issue some tasers but not to patrol officers.
    Chris.R. likes this.

Forum Member
    Bottom line, the powers to be would rather have us unarmed altogether. Giving us Taser's which we would prolly deploy more often than THEY see fit scares the bejesus out of them. They pay enough in phoney claims to inmates at Rikers. Taser's would break the bank. We can't be trusted with them.
    HI629 likes this.

Forum Member
    As 1911user mentioned liability is a large factor in policing decisions in NYC, as is cost benefit analysis. On my job until the early 2000's, we had our hands and firearms, no intermediate weapons. The boss judges did not want to offend our court users. Things changed when the bean counters realized the number of days lost to LOD injuries could be greatly reduced by the proper use of batons and spray. Now the question is not why did you spray, but why didn't you spray?
    Last edited by Dinosaur32; 01-22-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Forum Member

More importantly, why the **** are you using non lethal force when you are in a situation that lethal force is justified?

If a situation can be easily de-escalated by the use of a taser then the threat of death or serious bodily injury wasn't really present.

That, or you are putting yoursef and your co-workers at serious risk of being hurt or killed.

A taser is not an alternate to lethal force, it is a step inbetween other tools on the bat belt where the gun is NOT allowed

It's Complicated

You would be mistaken..................many agencies do not employ the Taser

Ive done a lot of training with the X26 taser gun, and the option of having it readily available puts me at ease knowing that I don't have to use lethal force for a situation that could easily be de-escalated by non lethal force..
    Reading this paragraph I really wonder just how much training you really have done with the Taser since it is NEVER, EVER refereed to as a Taser GUN

If a moderator could edit my thread name typo I appreciate it.
    Unlike many other forums..........this one is very loosely moderated. They don't look at every post unless there is a complaint sent to them.
    HI629 likes this.

Forum Member

A Taser is a part of a given agencies' "Force Continuim " ". That can very from department to department, as can SOP's. My New York colleague has given you some excellent reasons for NYPD's current policy with regard to Tasers.

Forum Member

Just wondering..

Quick note: While your faith in the Taser as an "intermediate" weapon is largely justified, you're in error in stating what you did in your last paragraph. Any force continium or SOP based on that continium, recognizes the fact that the need to employ fatal force can enter the continuim at any time.

This need to employ fatal force is brought about by the suspect/subject himself. In these instances, the Taser is never a substitute for fatal force.

Forum Member

With lethal cover, a Taser can be deployed to bring a situation that could turn into a lethal force scenario under control before it reaches that point. Think of a scenario where a mental subject is armed with a knife is threatening suicide or wants to go out via suicide by cop. You have 3 officers on scene, 2 have rifles/shotguns/pistols and the third deploys a Taser from a distance. The key is to always remember that if you are alone or do not have lethal cover, you better have your gun out and be prepared to use it.
    PhilipCal, mdrdep and HI629 like this.

Forum Member
    Probably because they Tased a guy off a roof who fell to his death
    mdrdep likes this.
    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Forum Member
    That incident just reinforced NYPD's limitations on the issuing of tasers, which was already in effect.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by lpstopper View Post
    Probably because they Tased a guy off a roof who fell to his death
    That was a Lieutenant on the ESU unit that fired the Taser. He later committed suicide due to the fallout from the incident.

Your is misplaced in this instance

Forum Member
    ^ my bad.....
    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Forum Member
    Don't tase me bro.
    Chuck

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    That was a Lieutenant on the ESU unit that fired the Taser. He later committed suicide due to the fallout from the incident.

I looked it up again

Lt. Michael Pigott ordered one of his ESU officers to fire the Taser.

Lt Pigott did, however, commit suicide due to the fallout over the incident

Hello, Newman.
    Only patrol supervisors (Sgt/Lt) are trained on and required to carry a taser while on patrol. The only non-supervisory personnel trained and permitted to use them are Emergency Service Unit personnel. (ESU- our "SWAT").

_DF

RIP PO Peter Figoski

NYPD Scholarship Opportunities

DigitalFrenchie's Guide to NYPD IMPACT

A Cop's Point of View

When I answer a stupid question:

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    DF,

Why do you bother?

An Obvious problem
    Dangit, and I was so looking forward to being a taster for NYPD. All the great eateries and all.....I sure am depressed now
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Forum Member
    Tasters would have been more interesting.

Taster, does this burger have spit in it? You must partake of a sample before I may commence with my lunching.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

No way??