Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By duqjeep2010

Thread: Upcoming Fitness Test: Pin Press

Forum Member

Upcoming Fitness Test: Pin Press

I have a fitness test coming up for my job. The % body weight push test occurs in a power rack with the safety bars close to your chest as (typically 2-4 inches) while lying down, the bar bell is then placed on the safety bars. I then have to press/push the bar until my elbows lock out. I've heard its commonly called a pin press. The test is suppose to mimic the classic bench press machine that my agency uses nationally but we don't have access to locally.

Last May (2012) I was barely able to get 160 up. Within a month I need to be in the 170-75 range. Is this possible?

Our agency "fitness instructor" basically said I really need to work on my "stabilizer muscles."

What do I need to do to get within the 175 range within a month? I have protein, creatine, access to a gym, and can workout as long as I want.

What is your advice? What exercises should I do? Supplements?

Thanks
    Last edited by wildlife97; 01-21-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Forum Member

bump......

Forum Member
    I had never heard of the pin press, so I was curious. I found an article called "Bring your Bench Press Alive with the Dead Bench" that might help you. You should be able to Google that title and find it. I don't have 100 posts, so I can't post the link.

Forum Member
    If you have access to a gym then I'd recommend using it. Try the smith machine, but don't let it fool you. The bar on the smith is often much less than a regular bar because it's counter-balanced. But it's a great machine to use when you don't have a spotter. And it'll allow you to set the stops at the location close to where you do the pin press. Also try a regular bench press. A month is sufficient time to be able to get those 15 lbs up. Just keep at it weekly. And don't neglect push ups. Knock out a bunch daily. Take some of that protein after your workouts to help you recover. Sign up for an account at freetrainers dot com. They'll customize a workout for you to help you achieve your goals. And it's free.

Forum Member

Check out a video series called "So you think you can bench" on youtube. It will teach you proper form to get the most out of your bench.
    DWinsRespect likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice.

More info:

My workout routine is really basically just cardio, run and bike. Haven't really hit the weights in 6 years. When I did my pin press test last May (160 lbs) I basically just went in and did it, no prior work out. Looking back it was a bad idea and I need to be better prepared.

As far as diet goes, it's a healthy diet. No sugary drinks (energy drinks, pop, etc) don't over eat, etc.

Forum Member

just add weight everytime you lift. If youre new to the gym you should be able to up your bench every session you do chest/tris

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    Check out a video series called "So you think you can bench" on youtube. It will teach you proper form to get the most out of your bench.
    This. Improper form will hinder the amount of weight you can bench more than anything else. I've taken an entrance test before that required the push press and the amount of people who just lie down on the bench without putting their weight on their traps, a slight arch in their back, and shoulder blades squeezed together was surprising. Then again it kind of wasn't.

Also, try to hit up some sets of pushups with keeping your elbows in as tight as you can and let them glide in a parallel sequence beside your lats. Isometric pushups with 10 second holds at the bottom will help develop the stabilizers as well. You can have really strong main muscles that may be able to bench 300 pounds, but if you have weak stabilizers that can only do 200 pounds, you're only going to do 200 pounds.
    Last edited by DWinsRespect; 03-05-2013 at 04:10 PM.