Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: How in the world did you make it through Academy?

Forum Member

How in the world did you make it through Academy?

I've made it through 3 days of hell so far in my academy and I feel like I'm starting to crack. Every muscle in my body is sore, my brain literally feels like it's swelling, and I'm overly sensitive with everyone I come into contact with, namely my wife who I find myself yelling at every 2 seconds. It's all for stupid reasons such as not moving fast enough, or saying/doing something dumb that I would normally laugh about. I have zero time for anything due to the various essays, "special reports" for not complying with certain rules in the recruit handbook, and now the whopper is re-writing the entire rule book by hand and it's due Monday morning which I'm sure will be ripped up in our faces anyway. I think the biggest problem overall is the lack of sleep. I've averaged 2.5-3 hours every night so far and it's turning me into a miserable bastard.

The question is, as the academy goes on, do you have any more time at all for sleep at the very least? I don't go out and drink or have some huge social life so I could care less about that, but I have to sleep for christ sakes. To me this is the biggest part as I nearly drove off the road driving in the other morning due to the lack of sleep.

I suppose your responses could go a number of different ways, but at the very least I just needed to vent and I'm hoping for some positive words as opposed to calling me a bitch and telling me to suck it up. I'm committed to this, but it just seems way over the top to me at this point. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member
    See it for what it is, a mind game. They load you, then overload you and then they know what you are made of. There is no right answer in the academy, it is one big exercise in critical thinking and reasoning. There will be days that are really hard and some that are not so hard with a few that are easier. You are either moving too slow, moving too fast, over thinking the topic or not getting it.

Do not yell at your wife; appreciate any downtime you get and look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Forum Member

My academy was 8 mos. After a few weeks you get into a routine. Make up for lost sleep on the weekend.

Forum Member
    You are making my academy look like a great time. We didn't have that sleep deprivation thing. Mostly I just made friends and we all complained about Academy to each other.

Forum Member

You still have time to come and post so it can't be that bad. One thing that helped me is the knowledge that every cop in the State has gone through some form of what you're going through. Some easier, some harder, but everyone has to do it. Things might get worse before they get better, but it does get better.

As you get more squared away and learn what is expected of you, you'll make less mistakes and get less memos and get smoked less by your instructors. Don't take it personally, that's the worst thing to do. You might find that all those special essays: "On January 17th, 2013, at approximately 0830 hours, at my academy, I was assigned a special essay by blah blah......"

Will be exactly how you start your reports when you get to report writing. And then bango, you'll see that your instructors were actually teaching you, while you thought they were punishing you - Things like dicipline, focus, attention to detail and report writing. At that point you hopefully will have an "ah ha!" moment, and then you'll be onboard for whatever they ask of you.

I was up until 3am once writing a memo. It was 25 hand written pages on the importance of a properly pressed collar. I didn't finish it, and the next day I got a 5 page memo on the importance of completing paper work, along with having to finish the 25 pager. I feel your pain.

Just don't quit.
    Last edited by X1X1X1; 01-19-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Forum Member

Look on the bright side, at least you get to even go home at all. I didn't see my wife for 5 months.
    300Busa, RUPD-BHPD-NYPD and SHB229 like this.

Will work for food!
    we were locked up with no phones, no computer, couldn't even leave the academy grounds, no radio or newspaper....it sucks, but if you want it bad enough you will do it. If it's not what you want, don't do it. I dont want my back up officer to be somebody that doesn't have what it takes to make it through mock situations in the not real world.
    We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Forum Member

Look one the bright side at least you didn't join the military because I heard that training is really tough!
    DangerDave and DocB1985 like this.
    The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VR6OhMy View Post
    I've made it through 3 days of hell so far in my academy and I feel like I'm starting to crack. Every muscle in my body is sore, my brain literally feels like it's swelling, and I'm overly sensitive with everyone I come into contact with, namely my wife who I find myself yelling at every 2 seconds. It's all for stupid reasons such as not moving fast enough, or saying/doing something dumb that I would normally laugh about. I have zero time for anything due to the various essays, "special reports" for not complying with certain rules in the recruit handbook, and now the whopper is re-writing the entire rule book by hand and it's due Monday morning which I'm sure will be ripped up in our faces anyway. I think the biggest problem overall is the lack of sleep. I've averaged 2.5-3 hours every night so far and it's turning me into a miserable bastard.

The question is, as the academy goes on, do you have any more time at all for sleep at the very least? I don't go out and drink or have some huge social life so I could care less about that, but I have to sleep for christ sakes. To me this is the biggest part as I nearly drove off the road driving in the other morning due to the lack of sleep.

I suppose your responses could go a number of different ways, but at the very least I just needed to vent and I'm hoping for some positive words as opposed to calling me a bitch and telling me to suck it up. I'm committed to this, but it just seems way over the top to me at this point. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    I had to take a minute because I was ROFLMAO. That is to take nothing from you officer VR6. Really, these are from the great memories from dropping and giving 50, when all I had in me was 20. Then when you've got the instructor in your face barking and you're trying to keep from laughing; because you just did 50.
    As far as your wife is concerned, you have to take a breath and give her a kiss on the cheek. No one who hasn't been through this will never understand. So that why when you see a fellow officer in uniform (from any jurisdiction), you just smile. We've all been through it.
    Rush817 likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks for the words gentlemen. The fact that all of you have gone through it, and there are 36 other men and women going through it with me provides some sense of solace through it all. For the people who have done an entire academy on campus without any outside interaction, I give you all the credit in the world because I know my limitations and that would break me.

I know I can do this and I know all of the things that appear to be bull**** are there for a reason. A reason that could potentially save my life, it's just very demoralizing to put 14+ hours into rewriting a manual when you know it will be ripped up in your face before even writing it. If I think about that aspect of it, the lesson I draw from that is the cards might not always fall my way and that there will be things that I work really hard on that some scumbag will come and ruin but I still have to press on. The issue I have is I'm 30 years old and have known this for a very long time as should anyone with even the smallest of life experience. It's just a very bitter pill to swallow as I know you all understand.

Even though I don't have the time, I had to take the time to post because it made me feel better hearing your stories of times passed. It really does help.

Forum Member

Thanks for the words gentlemen. The fact that all of you have gone through it, and there are 36 other men and women going through it with me provides some sense of solace through it all. For the people who have done an entire academy on campus without any outside interaction, I give you all the credit in the world because I know my limitations and that would break me.

I know I can do this and I know all of the things that appear to be bull**** are there for a reason. A reason that could potentially save my life, it's just very demoralizing to put 14+ hours into rewriting a manual when you know it will be ripped up in your face before even writing it. If I think about that aspect of it, the lesson I draw from that is the cards might not always fall my way and that there will be things that I work really hard on that some scumbag will come and ruin but I still have to press on. The issue I have is I'm 30 years old and have known this for a very long time as should anyone with even the smallest of life experience. It's just a very bitter pill to swallow as I know you all understand.

Even though I don't have the time, I had to take the time to post because it made me feel better hearing your stories of times passed. It really does help.
    That was the trick for me. That though got me through Parris Island way back when I joined the Marines and got me through the academy to become an LEO. Always remember that, although things might reeeeeally suck for you at any given moment, thousands upon thousands of people have gone before you and made it. If they could make it, you can make it.

Forum Member

I am just weird. I had fun in boot camp, and had a blast in the academy too.

My academy was M-F, 1700-2200 though, with weekends at the range and driving. Not a live in. Myself and another (a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps that I worked with) were active duty, we had a retired Master Chief, a retired First Class Petty Officer, and two other prior Marines. We were loving it. The instructors didnt even bother trying the mind games with us (the head PT/DT instructor was a prior Marine Gunny as well). Hell, I think every instructor we had except about 3 was either prior or retired .mil. That being said, we helped the other, non mil, recruits realize that it was survivable, and our class was pretty good to go. Only lost one on hell day, and one a couple of weeks later because he got a better job offer.

Pain is temporary, pride is forever. Dont give up.

Traveling Man
    US Army Basic Training: 2 weeks at reception, 9 weeks in BCT
    US Army AIT: 7 weeks
    FLETC UPTP: 12 weeks
    Local Academy: 12 weeks

These things are hard, but they can be done. I am not bragging because I know many of our brothers and sisters in blue have done harder training. But it can be done. You CAN do it! Remember the sweet in training is meant to save your life!
    1*

Mildly Interesting
    Just remember that their job during the first part of the academy is to make you want to quit.

It gets easier. Eventually.

Forum Member
    Well think of it this way, at least you get to go home at night. I spent 6 months in Artesia, NM away from my family. I was never in the military, so all of the ridiculous crap didn't make sense to me. Marching practice, inspections, boot shining, and the chanting, and writing memos for stuff that you don't even know if you did something wrong.

I remember we were doing push ups and the PT instructor realized that one of my classmates was skipping reps. Big mistake, he made the entire class do push ups until we literally couldn't any more. Also we had 4 people in my class get rhabdo, and 2 got heat exhaustion, so then we had to do hydration drills. Try running 3 miles after drinking a half gallon of water. Needless to say that we worked out until people were literally puking.
    Last edited by Albert Wesker; 01-21-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    Ctroc likes this.
    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Forum Member

You need to realize where you are and what you are doing. This job isn't offered to just anyone that is why the training is like nothing else. I don't know much about you but there are people who would love to be in your shoes. Some apply for years and never get the chance to become a police officer. Some apply once and get in and I think it is those ones that do not truly understand the position they are in. You can obviously do this and graduate but you have got to want it more then anything else. I guarantee you will be upset if you quit, because this opportunity will never come again. I enjoyed going through the academy. There were some days that were better then others but quitting never crossed my mind because I understood how hard I worked to get this chance. Good luck.
    "My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place - police, firefighters and members of our armed forces."
    - Unknown

Forum Member

Thanks for all the words gentlemen.

Just for clarification, quitting was never on the radar. My first post was just venting because it was much harder then I expected. I thoroughly prepared myself physically as well as mentally for this, but until you experience it, as I'm sure you all know, you'll never understand. I suppose it's just another one of those things to chalk up as to why we're all such a close knit group of people who understand one another even though we may not know each other personally. I understand I'm still a recruit and have a lot more "understanding" to grasp from your end, but it's already starting to creep it's way in after 5 short days.

The drill portion is over now though and the past 2 days have been fun and not so on edge. I think that was in part due to the drill instructors taking things down a few notches and myself becoming more acclimated with academy life. I'm looking forward to the rest of the academy and taking in all of the information I can to better prepare me for the streets.

Thanks!
    jcioccke likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    See it for what it is, a mind game. They load you, then overload you and then they know what you are made of. There is no right answer in the academy, it is one big exercise in critical thinking and reasoning. There will be days that are really hard and some that are not so hard with a few that are easier. You are either moving too slow, moving too fast, over thinking the topic or not getting it.

Do not yell at your wife; appreciate any downtime you get and look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

This is perfect. Let me premise for you. Nothing you do will be right the first month. They are weeding out the herd. Once that is done, you become a unit and stop answering your DI's with I and say Recruit- and address "We" instead of "I" or "me"then it starts getting easier. Just remember as hard as it is, there is nothing better than getting that badge pinned on and looking at your family in the audience. Quitting will ease the pain for 15 minutes but living with quitting will pain you a life time.

It will get easier and believe it or not it will all become routine. You will make friendships that you will have for a long time. As Adeuth said it will become a routine for you, that on your days off you will become bored at times. You will find yourself structured, your walk will change a bit and you will have more pride in yourself and you will understand why We defend eachother and rat out the phonies. I wanted to quit that academy every dam- day for the first 3 months. I am glad I didn't and you will be too.

If you're in NY keep that Notebook up to date- don't slack on that.

You need anything PM me
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulRecruit7 View Post
    You need to realize where you are and what you are doing. This job isn't offered to just anyone that is why the training is like nothing else. I don't know much about you but there are people who would love to be in your shoes. Some apply for years and never get the chance to become a police officer. Some apply once and get in and I think it is those ones that do not truly understand the position they are in. You can obviously do this and graduate but you have got to want it more then anything else. I guarantee you will be upset if you quit, because this opportunity will never come again. I enjoyed going through the academy. There were some days that were better then others but quitting never crossed my mind because I understood how hard I worked to get this chance. Good luck.
    Man you are never prepared for the Academy- I think I have a good idea where he is and it's the same one I graduated. No joke they are in your shi- I expected it and I was physically fit and you are still never fully prepared for it.
    MDRDEP:

Forum Member
    Like others have said, they will build you up to break you down...The fewer cadets they have the easier their job is. They want you to quit. When I went through some of the instructors I hated in Week 1, I came to love in the end. They are playing a role and some play that role really well...

I had a really hard time the first couple of weeks. Mine was a live in academy with no outside contact at all for the first couple of weeks. Having a wife and 2 kids at home worrying about me was tough. The physical aspect was tough, the mental aspect was tough, but the emotional aspect was what was killing me.

My solution: I accepted the fact I was there and wasn't going home. I reminded my self that this was something I asked for....I wasn't drafted into the Police Academy. And like others have said, thousands of others had went before me. While it may not get physically easier, it's up to you to make it emotionally easier.

Good luck brother...none of this will bother you on graduation day.
    jcioccke, taylormade and chiefjack like this.

Forum Member
    When I went through some of the instructors I hated in Week 1, I came to love in the end. They are playing a role and some play that role really well...
    +1 So True
    MDRDEP:

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcioccke View Post
    Just remember as hard as it is, there is nothing better than getting that badge pinned on and looking at your family in the audience. Quitting will ease the pain for 15 minutes but living with quitting will pain you a life time.

As a recruit currently in the academy, this is going to be my new mantra. Thank you.

Forum Member

And the indoctrination begins...

You are no longer "you", you are "us"...
    jcioccke, VR6OhMy and TNPSO like this.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by X1X1X1 View Post
    As you get more squared away and learn what is expected of you, you'll make less mistakes and get less memos and get smoked less by your instructors. Don't take it personally, that's the worst thing to do. You might find that all those special essays: "On January 17th, 2013, at approximately 0830 hours, at my academy, I was assigned a special essay by blah blah......"
    So true! The last thing you want to do is take anything personally. Your instructors do this to prepare you for the real world. When we're out on the streets we won't always be shown mercy, and those 36 other cadets in your class can be what determines if you go home at night or not, so it's the academy's job to make sure each and every one of us gives 150% and that we can take a hit and get right back up.

I just finished up my 1st month in our academy so I'm right there with you, and I can assure you that it goes smoother. As it's been said, the academies are set up to weed out people who want this and who don't, and judging by your posts in here you clearly want this and you'll do just fine. The biggest rewards in life are some of the most challenging. As it's been sad about your wife too, try to separate your work and your personal life. Leave the baggage at the academy, and thank God that you can go home and spend the time with your family. Best of luck to you!
    VR6OhMy and Jacob2899 like this.

Traveling Man
    Quote Originally Posted by pittguy1984 View Post
    So true! The last thing you want to do is take anything personally. Your instructors do this to prepare you for the real world. When we're out on the streets we won't always be shown mercy, and those 36 other cadets in your class can be what determines if you go home at night or not, so it's the academy's job to make sure each and every one of us gives 150% and that we can take a hit and get right back up.

I just finished up my 1st month in our academy so I'm right there with you, and I can assure you that it goes smoother. As it's been said, the academies are set up to weed out people who want this and who don't, and judging by your posts in here you clearly want this and you'll do just fine. The biggest rewards in life are some of the most challenging. As it's been sad about your wife too, try to separate your work and your personal life. Leave the baggage at the academy, and thank God that you can go home and spend the time with your family. Best of luck to you!
    Sayings like this have always bothered me. Nothing personal brother.
    1*

Page 1 of 3 123 Last