Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does the NYPD let you go on military leave if you are going to OCS (reserves)???

Forum Member

Does the NYPD let you go on military leave if you are going to OCS (reserves)???

sorry again for so many posts, like i said in anothe thread Im just looking for info.

anyways...if i went into the reserves as an e-1 (or would it be higher since i have an associates degree?) and wound up getting a bachelors degree could i 1.) Go to OCS to become a reserve officer? and 2.) would the NYPD allow me to take a military leave (assuming i was working in the department) to go to OCS???

Forum Member

Does The NYPD Let You Go On Military Leave If You Are Going To OCS (Reserves)???

Let you? They have to let you on military leave. It is the law. Google this and you will get details.

Forum Member
    yep, they will. Just make sure it's all after the academy though to avoid headaches

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunslash View Post
    yep, they will. Just make sure it's all after the academy though to avoid headaches
    thanks guys. yea it will be long after the academy IF im hired. I wont even be able to go back to get my bachelors til a good 3 years in according to some guys on the forum. Should be able to get the bachelors by the time i hit top salary, again IF im hired...

Forum Member
    You can get E-2 with a associates. Yes, if you get your 4 year degree you can later apply for OCS and become an officer. Yes, your employer should grant you military leave while you are on any military orders to include schools such as OCS.

Forum Member
    48 college credits will get you E-3 enlistment contract in the Army.
    NYPD Exam
    Exam: 8051

NYC Corrections
    Exam:3300

Baltimore City PD
    In the process..

And a few other exams...

NYPD Aux.

Forum Member
    Often in the reserve component (specifically I know they do this in the National Guard) they offer OCS spread out one weekend per month and a month in the summer, as you would normally drill. I would think it'd be easy enough to get off for that since it would be the same as getting off for drill. It takes forever (over a year) to get your commission this way though. Personally I'd rather do the three months of full time and get it out of the way.

Are you wanting to stay enlisted that whole three years that you think it would take you to finish your Bachelor's? You'll be required to attend Basic and all job schools plus your regular drill training and annual training while you're working on getting into the NYPD.
    NYPD Exam #2302
    List Number 1xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by capt.morgan112 View Post
    Often in the reserve component (specifically I know they do this in the National Guard) they offer OCS spread out one weekend per month and a month in the summer, as you would normally drill. I would think it'd be easy enough to get off for that since it would be the same as getting off for drill. It takes forever (over a year) to get your commission this way though. Personally I'd rather do the three months of full time and get it out of the way.

Are you wanting to stay enlisted that whole three years that you think it would take you to finish your Bachelor's? You'll be required to attend Basic and all job schools plus your regular drill training and annual training while you're working on getting into the NYPD.
    id like to do 20-30 years in the reserves along with the nypd if possible. i figurd id try to get through basic and the job training before i get hired (call up HR and tell them to put me on hold before i leave - exam 1313) then try to get hired by the nypd. 3 years into nypd go back to school while remaining in the reserves.

no guarentee it will work out like that but that would be my goal for now...

Mega Infidel
    Why not go into ROTC program (if you are a prior service or a member of reserve/NG component) and while finishing up your last 2 years (MS III/IV) and get your commission rather than going through the OCS selection program?
    NYPDhope likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1garand View Post
    Why not go into ROTC program (if you are a prior service or a member of reserve/NG component) and while finishing up your last 2 years (MS III/IV) and get your commission rather than going through the OCS selection program?
    Sounds like a good plan to me. You can enlist in the reserves now and come back from IET to hopefully get hired by the NYPD. Then once you get back into college regularly you can do what's called the Simultaneous Membership Program with the ROTC. This would make you a cadet in your reserve unit until you finish school. You'd go to a two week to one month training period the next summer and get your commission without going to OCS. The only catch is I think you'll have to be a full time college student to contract as a cadet with the ROTC. That could be difficult while managing a full time career in the NYPD.

20 to 30 years is a long time to deal with the reserve component headache! haha It's not a bad plan to try to catch both retirements but it can be difficult to balance a part time military career with a full time civilian one-trust me. The good news is as a junior enlisted soldier you can always walk away after your first enlistment if it's taking too much time away from you. They have a way of drawing you back though-trust me on that one too.
    NYPD Exam #2302
    List Number 1xx

Forum Member
    yeah try it first before you throw big numbers out there, it's not for everyone, especially "independent thinkers".
    I've done it for a few years, but never again. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did it and I miss certain people & aspects of it, but once I became old enough, the whole hooah/hoorah/hooyah take the hill & charge & suck it up and drive on/lets go play in the mud deal became too much of a joke for me...

Sounds like the best plan ( in my opinion) would be :
    Join the National Guard ( better education benefits then reserves) as enlisted, do your basic/ait, finish college, and by the time you're done waiting for nypd you'll have a 4 year degree, 3 years military service...then go from there.

Forum Member

thanks for the info guys...im just so amped and excited to be NYPD and do something more than i do now i dont want to wait anymore. You know what I mean??

i took the test 2 years ago and have been telling people this is what Im going for the whole time and they are like, "Then go for it!" and I have to keep telling them its a long wait. dont know how much longer i can wait it out...

ive always wanted to do the coast guard tho just never followed through with it. I love the ocean and beaches and seeing as exam 1313 might not be in the academy til jan. 2014 i have the time to go for it.

idk, i need to think on it...

Forum Member
    Think hard on it man. I completely understand the anxiety associated with waiting so long for your dream job, but don't let that push you into doing something immediately. Especially something like military service. I appreciate my experience in the Army but the insane amount of bs you have to deal with makes it hard to stay motivated about the civil service. Don't get me wrong, it's a great experience and a great service but if you're doing it just to kill time before doing what you really want I think you'll be disappointed.

In the big scheme of things, Jan 2014 isn't that far away. Buckle down, think hard, maybe keep working towards your degree. If military service persists as a good idea in your head then more power to you.
    NYPD Exam #2302
    List Number 1xx

Forum Member

been thinking on it and would really like to go into the coast guard for damage controllman. i think it woul dbe a great way to learn a trade or maybe even more!

problem is apparently it will be 6-18 months before getting in.

so i got another question which i think i have the answer for but just want to make sure...If i get through the NYPD academy and then hit the streets and suddenly i am "accepted" into the coast guard reserves, would the nypd then let me take time off for boot camp and a school??? I mean it the law right?

not the "UF" kind

yeah, you will be able to take leave to go to boot/job school. not too sure on the exact specifics though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by capt.morgan112 View Post
    Think hard on it man. I completely understand the anxiety associated with waiting so long for your dream job, but don't let that push you into doing something immediately. Especially something like military service. I appreciate my experience in the Army but the insane amount of bs you have to deal with makes it hard to stay motivated about the civil service. Don't get me wrong, it's a great experience and a great service but if you're doing it just to kill time before doing what you really want I think you'll be disappointed.

In the big scheme of things, Jan 2014 isn't that far away. Buckle down, think hard, maybe keep working towards your degree. If military service persists as a good idea in your head then more power to you.
    Did you mean hard to be motivated about military service or civil service? Im looking to go National Guard and someone else on here said that its a lot of headaches also. Is it really that bad?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The hopeful View Post
    Did you mean hard to be motivated about military service or civil service? Im looking to go National Guard and someone else on here said that its a lot of headaches also. Is it really that bad?
    I just mean it's difficult to stay motivated about the service you are doing when there is so much bureaucratic stuff to wade through. I don't mean to discourage anyone from doing it at all. I wouldn't trade my time with the Army for anything. I think most of us have the same positive mentality about public service in general, be it federal or at the community level, otherwise we wouldn't want to work in law enforcement. The military will give you many headaches while you're there but ultimately you experience a life that civilians will never completely understand and, hopefully, that experience will make you better equipped for the rest of your life. Or at least more appreciative of it.

Bottom line is if service in the military is something you really want to do then go for it. Some parts will suck but other parts will be great.
    NYPD Exam #2302
    List Number 1xx

DENIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMike111 View Post
    been thinking on it and would really like to go into the coast guard for damage controllman. i think it woul dbe a great way to learn a trade or maybe even more!

problem is apparently it will be 6-18 months before getting in.

so i got another question which i think i have the answer for but just want to make sure...If i get through the NYPD academy and then hit the streets and suddenly i am "accepted" into the coast guard reserves, would the nypd then let me take time off for boot camp and a school??? I mean it the law right?
    Well if its about a year or two away, your going to wash it away if your going to ditch it for the military. Wait it out, that's it!

Once your on, do whatever you wish.

Do not do anything spontaneous. You will regret it.

Forum Member

City of New York, County of Kings & Queens
    I have been deployed 3 times since I have been on the job. The job is more supportive now then it was when I first deployed. I owe the job money from when I deployed to Iraq. Another good thing is the training that you receive in the military, you show the job that you are certified in it and it helps to make you more competitive with your peers when going for openings.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    Well if its about a year or two away, your going to wash it away if your going to ditch it for the military. Wait it out, that's it!

Once your on, do whatever you wish.

Do not do anything spontaneous. You will regret it.

im exam 1313...ideally i would go through the coast guard training then straight into the academy but i doubt that will happen.

DENIED!
    yea dont count on it.

once you are on the job, you can go through coast guard DEPOT training, which is a very condensed training version of C.G. Boot camp. Only about 4 weeks long as opposed to 3 months.

you also dont want to do 1 weekend a month while in the academy. You need those days to study and pass the academy.

Forum Member

City of New York, County of Kings & Queens
    It's better to wait to get on the job, graduate and then fulfill any and all military obligations.

Forum Member

sounds good...i guess i should go through the process now (coast guard) and then go on hold while doing the nypd academy??? (assuming everything works out)

DENIED!
    Your adamant about it and you are refusing to listen.

Wait until you have at least a year on the job, THEN GO THROUGH THE PROCESS.

Don't ask what you should do and ask for expert opinion if you already have your mind set.

Assume NOTHING until happens.

Forum Member

ok. so i guess ill just tell my recruiter im gonna try for something else first...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last