Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: SUVs the future of patrol vehicles?

Forum Member

SUVs the future of patrol vehicles?

I've noticed lately that many departments seem to be switching the SUVs for their marked patrol vehicles. With the recent offerings from all three major manufacturers of LE-specific SUVs (Dodge Durango, Chevy Tahoe, and Ford Explorer (PI Utility)), it seems like they may be the way to go. CHP recently picked the Explorer, as did my department. In fact, LVMPD recently made a video discussing their selection process.

It seems like the advantages of an SUV over a sedan far outweigh the negatives. With ever stricter pursuit policies, better fuel economy, and more gear than ever I wonder if this is the way to go?

Forum Member
    We are going to the Tahoe. I bet the ford suv gets better mileage. But I really like the tahoes. The city only pays $2000 more for the Tahoe that CVPI.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LawFowl View Post
    We are going to the Tahoe. I bet the ford suv gets better mileage. But I really like the tahoes. The city only pays $2000 more for the Tahoe that CVPI.
    Ford says the Explorer gets 20% better mileage than the CVPI when driving and something like 35% better economy when idling. I've heard great things about the Tahoe and think we would have gotten it if not for the already established relationship we have with Ford.

Forum Member
    I'm not a cop [yet] but I can't see how any SUV would hold up better in a pursuit over the Charger or Taurus... I have some track experience (road course) and could never imagine something like an explorer in a high speed, fast brake, high maneuverability situation simply based on aerodynamics and weight.

That said, my cousin a NYS Trooper and I do see they ride in SUV's sometimes...
    Forever Blue.

CSI Sucks
    We chose the Taurus as our replacement for the Crown Vic. K-9 Units will get the Explorer. Our established relationship with Ford I'm sure played a big role, but so did the availability of all-wheel drive and the superior fuel economy.
    It could be a possibility that we eventually switch over to the Explorer for patrol as well. I'm sure it would come down to money.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Forum Member

Police work is more than just pursuits and driving fast. The SUVs allow the ever increasing amount of gear to be carried instead of left behind. 4X4 and AWD allows better traction in poor weather and increased ground clearance is sometimes handy as well. Sitting higher off the ground increases visability.

The Expedition I have been driving lately has similar acceleration to the CVPI up to 80MPH or so and a tighter turning radius at low speeds. Anyone can spot a Crown Vic from a mile away but the SUVs often catch them by suprise.
    AI_guy likes this.

Caution: Unvetted member.
    Our Patrol is staying SUV with Explorers and Tahoes. Crime Lab and Detectives will all be F-150 next year.

Up till now Detectives got vehicles once Patrol had broken them in, broke them down, and shot them through. Hand-me-downs stink. the only good thing about my Silverado is that it never gets mistaken for a police car.
    HI629 likes this.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

It's Complicated
    We have a mix of vehicles..................the last two purchased (this year) were Ford Interceptor SUV's

other than that we have 2 pickups, a Jeep 2 CVPI's 2 Chargers an Expedition, & a Durango

We also have a Magnum and an Explorer that are fully outfitted but used for school travel or "spares"
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 01-14-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Forum Member
    With the increased amount of gear officers are expected to tote for the myriad of jobs officers are increasingly expected to perform there's no question than a SUV is needed. Coupled with increased fuel efficiency there's no reason not to go with a SUV.

SHU
    Forum Member
    My assigned patrol vehicle is a Tahoe with a lift kit. When you have to move fast down a highway to back up your partner and you get some wind moving underneath the vehicle, it can get scary real fast. Higher center of gravity is not good on corners either. For the type of work I do an suv is the way to go but for someone who works on the blacktop all day? From my experience its not the way to go unless you get a dropped suv and then why not just get a regular car. Maybe for the extra room? With the cage I have in the back seat I still have a lot more room than any crown vic or charger.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by SHU View Post
    My assigned patrol vehicle is a Tahoe with a lift kit. When you have to move fast down a highway to back up your partner and you get some wind moving underneath the vehicle, it can get scary real fast. Higher center of gravity is not good on corners either. For the type of work I do an suv is the way to go but for someone who works on the blacktop all day? From my experience its not the way to go unless you get a dropped suv and then why not just get a regular car. Maybe for the extra room? With the cage I have in the back seat I still have a lot more room than any crown vic or charger.
    In the winter when it snows, our CV's and Chargers stay in the lot while the deputies assigned to them borrow one of the SUV's

Equal Height Equal Light

Quote Originally Posted by Koala45 View Post
    It seems like the advantages of an SUV over a sedan far outweigh the negatives. With ever stricter pursuit policies, better fuel economy, and more gear than ever I wonder if this is the way to go?
    Fun fact reference Metro's choice of the Explorer; it has the same V6 as the Taurus, which overheated repeatedly in testing during the Summer. Guess what season it wasn't when they tested and selected the Explorer?

EDIT: I was wrong about the engine.

That said, I'm glad that we're moving to an SUV; as you said, we're not allowed to chase **** these days, might as well have the extra room.. I just wish they'd gone with the Tahoe.
    Last edited by Chomp; 01-15-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Forum Member
    Wow, you have an assigned vehicle.

Anyway, at my station 2/3 of our fleet is KILO units (Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge 4 wheel drive trucks). The other 1/3 is most composed of MIKE units (4 wheel drive Chevrolet Tahoes), but we have about a few PAPAs (4 wheel drive 15 passenger vans) and even less ECHOs (Ford Crown Victorias) that no one ever uses.
    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

L-1
    Forum Member
    Ford stopped manufacturing the Crown Vic. Their replacement was a smaller vehicle that many departments do not find satisfactory for patrol, hence the decision to move to SUVs for those who are sticking with Fords.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I'm not a cop [yet] but I can't see how any SUV would hold up better in a pursuit over the Charger or Taurus... I have some track experience (road course) and could never imagine something like an explorer in a high speed, fast brake, high maneuverability situation simply based on aerodynamics and weight.

That said, my cousin a NYS Trooper and I do see they ride in SUV's sometimes...
    I drive a 2010 Tahoe 2WD. I've been in several pursuits, and I'll take it over a crown vic any day. Cornering, breaking, 0-60, 0-100 is great, and it handles like a dream at "high speeds" like 125+.

I also like the way out shotguns are mounted in the Tahoe: right next to you. It's quick the grab in a bad situation, as opposed to the trunk mounts in the CV.

The only thing I don't like about the Tahoe 2WD is the ground clearance.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    Fun fact reference Metro's choice of the Explorer; it has the same V6 as the Taurus, which overheated repeatedly in testing during the Summer. Guess what season it wasn't when they tested and selected the Explorer?

That said, I'm glad that we're moving to an SUV; as you said, we're not allowed to chase **** these days, might as well have the extra room.. I just wish they'd gone with the Tahoe.
    The Explorer actually has the 3.7L V6, which is from the Mustang. The Taurus has a 3.5L. I'll be interested to see how it does in the summer, especially considering the fact that Ford says the PI version gets an upgraded cooling system.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by L-1 View Post
    Ford stopped manufacturing the Crown Vic. Their replacement was a smaller vehicle that many departments do not find satisfactory for patrol, hence the decision to move to SUVs for those who are sticking with Fords.
    Yup, we are supposedly going to all Interceptor SUVs as replacements come in. We have a few already and the working guys are all in favor of it. We tried out an Interceptor sedan and it did not fit the bill for us.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Forum Member
    Can't beat the ground clearance of an SUV vs. a sedan. I've taken my Durango up to speeds well over 100 mph without incident. Just gotta be more diligent of road conditions and cautious when making sharp turns at high speeds.

Forum Member
    We just ordered 6 new Interceptor Utilities. We current have about 16 Tahoes which are good but lack the top end (we have the 4x4 SSV versions AKA top speed of 95).

On the state bid we were paying around 31K for the 4x4 SSV vs 25,600 for the Utilities. The Utilities are actually CHEAPER than the Interceptor Sedan. More vehicle for less money, that's a no brainer.

CSI Sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    As Koala said the two actually have different engines. The 3.5 in the Taurus is the basis of the EcoBoost engine platform. Obviously only the EcoBoost itself has the turbos, but this is the same motor that Ford uses in the F-150 (albeit in EcoBoost only trim). The engine in the PUV is the 3.7 liter V6 developed for the Mustang. It was designed as a non-turbo motor, all though I'm sure it wouldn't take much to adapt it for such.
    Ford is going to start offering the 3.7 in the sedan so that agencies that keep a significant parts inventory (like mine) aren't having to keep parts for 2 different engines. I'm sure we will switch to the 3.7 in the next batch of sedans we buy.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Equal Height Equal Light

Huh. Well, in this case, I'm glad to be wrong.

Forum Member
    Well, an SUV is probably still the answer...just not with the lift kit. I find it peculiar that a government agency would have a lift kit. Vehicles with them wear out parts faster, are worse on mpg, and are less safe in all areas of handling. Why do you have that?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reils49 View Post
    I drive a 2010 Tahoe 2WD. I've been in several pursuits, and I'll take it over a crown vic any day. Cornering, breaking, 0-60, 0-100 is great, and it handles like a dream at "high speeds" like 125+.

I also like the way out shotguns are mounted in the Tahoe: right next to you. It's quick the grab in a bad situation, as opposed to the trunk mounts in the CV.

The only thing I don't like about the Tahoe 2WD is the ground clearance.
    Interesting! If it works for you then all the better. Stay safe out there.
    Forever Blue.

Forum Member
    Troopers told me that Maryland State Police were gunning for tahoes for everyone. They decided to go with a more expensive cruiser (caprice) because the tahoes looked aggressive and looked like they sucked more gas. Thought the citizens would not like it. Even though tahoes suck less gas than the caprices.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDPOLICE View Post
    Troopers told me that Maryland State Police were gunning for tahoes for everyone. They decided to go with a more expensive cruiser (caprice) because the tahoes looked aggressive and looked like they sucked more gas. Thought the citizens would not like it. Even though tahoes suck less gas than the caprices.
    That's the type of idiocy in life that makes me want to move to the forest and live alone in a cabin keeping only squirrels and bunnies as friends.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last