Tmg
    Forum Member

Why is there no .22LR ammo?

I went shopping for some 22 ammo to go plinking and cant find it anywhere.

I can understand everyone buying up rifle ammo, but why is everyone buying up .22LR ammo?

Can somebody enlighten me on the reason for this?
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Professional Dick

Around here, everyone is buying up all available ammo. Went to Walmart the other day and the only stuff on the shelves were the "Home Defense" hollowpoints in .45 that they want about $1.25 a round for. There were some rifle hunting rounds though.

Tmg
    Forum Member

But why .22? I am just not understanding the reason to stock up on 22 ammo.

Forum Member

When centerfire ammo hit's double in price, people turn to rimfire for shooting cost reasons.

Forum Member

I have been trying to find some .40 ammo for target shooting and it is really hit and miss. Walmart, academy and the gun shops in the area are sold out of everything.

Midnight sun worshipper
    I work the gun counter at a national sporting good store, and even before this latest mess we couldn't keep 22lr in-stock. People buy the bricks as fast as we could get them. Really not sure why. The only other ammo we consistently couldn't keep in stock was already the .223/5.56 ammo, which is now even worse.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever
    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

wgb
    Forum Member

Well with the recent ammo cost increases I've used my CMMG kit more in my AR and I'm getting a conversion kit for my sig. The recoil isnot the same but trigger control and the other basics are.
    OF THE PEOPLE, NOT ABOVE THE PEOPLE

St. Cloud Proud!
    I shoot a ton of .22 I have a conversion for my Glock and AR. Much cheaper to shoot
    In Valor there is hope

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    I shoot a ton of .22 I have a conversion for my Glock and AR. Much cheaper to shoot
    Which conversion do you have for your AR? I have been thinking about getting a CMMG kit.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitthegym View Post
    Which conversion do you have for your AR? I have been thinking about getting a CMMG kit.
    Cmmg Evo stainless w/ bolt hold open. Has worked great for me, just keep it lubed the .22 gets pretty dirty. I usually start and end with regular .223, just cheaper to use .22 for the majority. Here's a link to where I got mine. He has good prices, just have to keep an eye on his site when they come in stock

http://www.crosscreekguns.com/accessories.html
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member

Are these the best magazines to go with? http://blackdogmachinellc.net/x-form...agazine-2.aspx

I've got a Colt conversion kit that came with a rifle I picked up years ago. I've never used it, as bulk 5.56 has been (fairly) reasonable... up until last month. If I want to keep shooting my ARs often, it looks like its about time to break it out. All of my dedicated .22s have much slower twist rates, so I'm interested in seeing how accurate .22lr rounds are coming out of 1/7 & 1/8 twist, slightly over-sized bores.

Forum Member

My local gun store has at least 20,000 rounds of the stuff. All of the .223 went out the window fast but they have plenty of everything else.

Forum Member

Low cost would be my guess. My brother and I went shooting the other night. After more than an hour, we were each out about $10 in ammo. If I had shot my 9, it would have easily been 4 - 5 times more. Plus, people are hoarding everything now.

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    Cmmg Evo stainless w/ bolt hold open. Has worked great for me, just keep it lubed the .22 gets pretty dirty. I usually start and end with regular .223, just cheaper to use .22 for the majority. Here's a link to where I got mine. He has good prices, just have to keep an eye on his site when they come in stock

http://www.crosscreekguns.com/accessories.html
    Thanks dude! I'll pick one up.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Forum Member

much lower cost than high caliber rounds

Tmg
    Forum Member

I have never had a problem getting 22 ammo before. Then once this assault rifle ban talk started it flew off the shelves. I cant find it anywhere.

I just dont understand why everyone is stocking up on 22 ammo. I dont think it will be affected too much.

Molon Labe
    Most of the ammo is gone here in the northern LA County area.....the last time I checked (last week) primers were still in stock....I still picked up a couple of bricks of large rifle primers though
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member
    The .22 LR will work on Zombies. :-)

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by JustAJ View Post
    Low cost would be my guess. My brother and I went shooting the other night. After more than an hour, we were each out about $10 in ammo. If I had shot my 9, it would have easily been 4 - 5 times more. Plus, people are hoarding everything now.
    This.

People are hoarding ammo...

1: To have any available gun and ammo on hand in the event of any type of ban
    2: To sell later at hugely inflated prices and make a small fortune

Same around here. Two days ago Walmart had only some hunting calibers left and darn few of those. Two 50 rd bricks of .22, one box of .45 and only field loads for shotgun. Only a coupla .22 rifles and one lever action 30.30 left in the case. MidwayUSA is back-ordered on almost all pistol ammo; I just did get 4 boxes of .40 cal, 3 boxes of .38+P and some buckshot from them before it all disappeared.