Forum Member

Entrance P.A.T and P.O.S.T 2 weeks

Its just about here the first step in what I hope will be a long career. Started out going to my local department and talking to the Chief, all I wanted to do was get some information from a veteran 15+ years. A few questions turns into an hour conversation and the Chief said I have an idea, "how do you feel about a sponsorship". So now i'm on my way to the Eastern Police Academy in Missouri. I am 99% ready for both P.A.T and P.O.S.T what I am asking is i'm not sure where I want to go. Streets,Vice,Homicide,S.W.A.T I understand I have to put in my time but I would like some input. So I could at least have a general direction (goals for the future) Thanks for any help.

Forum Member

OK Frank, here it is, straight from the shoulder. Your first priority at present is to get hired. Then, you successfully complete the Academy. Once that's accomplished, you're probably looking at an FTO program.

Once you complete probation, you'll spend a few years on patrol. That's where the rubber really meets the road. In all likelihood, you're looking at anywhere from three to five years before you'll even have a shot at any specialized assignment.

You may even discover, as many rookies do, that patrol is really where it's at. Be good at that, and I mean, damn good. Then maybe, down the road you may have a shot at a specialized gig. Good luck in all your efforts.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank88 View Post
    what I am asking is i'm not sure where I want to go. Streets,Vice,Homicide,S.W.A.T I understand I have to put in my time but I would like some input. So I could at least have a general direction (goals for the future) Thanks for any help.
    Get through the academy and get a job

THEN become a good cop.

THEN get some experience in many facets of the job

THEN worry about what direction your career should take

Most likely during your career you will find that you have different interests at different times....also you sometimes find yourself in the right spot at the right time

Forum Member

Thanks for your input. I knew there would be many years of hard work before I had a shot at any specialized position. I just don't want to be one of those " If I could do it all over again I would" guys thanks again for your experience and knowledge.