Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flash40

Thread: Not stopping for a YELLOW light

Forum Member

Not stopping for a YELLOW light

Can you get cited for this?

Forum Member

Last I checked yellow light means slow down and prepair to stop. If your close enough to the to the intersection that it would create a hazard for you to apply your breaks and stop then I would continue. If you have to apply the gas and speed up then your creating a hazard. I hope this helps but without knowing which state your in and the situation it's the best I can do. Maybe someone else knows more.

Forum Member
    In D.C. a motorist can be citied for "passing a yellow light".

Forum Member

Post#2 pretty well addresses your question. Most intersections will have a painted "limit line" for stops. My personal policy was always that if the motorist entered the intersection on red, as determined by the "limit line" he was cited.

Should you drive in D.C. I would suggest additional caution. That's not a slam at the District, merely a suggestion that you take local laws and ordinances into account.

L-1
    Forum Member
    In California, there is no violation as long as any portion of your vehicle has passed the limit line before the light turns red.

In reality, it's a good way to get hit by cross traffic and if that happens, almost impossible to prove you entered on the yellow, because everyone who witnessed it will honestly (but mistakenly) say they saw you enter on the red.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MPDCjock View Post
    To ask the stupid question, why? It goes against the grain and the rest of the U.S., to be required to stop on yellow.

Is it even a common cite?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

An Obvious problem
    I believe Oklahoma requires a stop at a yellow light too. HeadDoc knows that answer.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDCjock View Post
    How can you be expected not to violate that at some point? The majority of the time drivers would break the law without being able to avoid it. The point of the yellow light is to give drivers time to react and stop for the upcoming red light.
    "Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
    Watch your words, for they become actions.
    Watch your actions, for they become habits.
    Watch your habits, for they become character.
    Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CACBAND View Post
    To ask the stupid question, why? It goes against the grain and the rest of the U.S., to be required to stop on yellow.

Is it even a common cite?
    Because it's DC and things rarely make sense.

I don't think it's common, but I have seen it written on accidents. Of course, to pass a yellow light and cause an accident, what color did cross-traffic have? hmmm
    Krell likes this.

Forum Member
    Indianapolis/Marion county traffic code:

Sec. 441-409. - Automatic traffic-control signal device legend.

Whenever traffic is controlled by traffic-control signals exhibiting different colored lights successively, the following colors only shall be used, and said terms and lights shall indicate and apply to drivers of all types of vehicles and pedestrians as follows:

(1)
    Green alone: Vehicular traffic facing the signal, except when prohibited under other provisions of this chapter, may proceed straight through or turn right or left, unless a sign or officer at such place prohibits either or both such turns. However, vehicular traffic shall yield the right-of-way to other vehicles and to pedestri-ans lawfully within a crosswalk at the intersection at the time such signal is exhibited.
    (2)
    Yellow or amber: When shown with or following the green signal:
    a.
    Vehicular traffic facing the signal shall stop before entering the nearest crosswalk at the intersection, but if such stop cannot be made in time or in safety, vehicle may be driven cautiously through the intersection.

b.
    Pedestrians facing such signal are thereby advised that there is insufficient time to cross the road and any pedestrian then starting to cross shall either return to the sidewalk or yield the right-of-way to all vehicles.
    (3)
    Red alone:
    a.
    Vehicular traffic facing the signal shall stop before entering the nearest crosswalk at an intersection, or at such other point as may be indicated by a clearly visible line or sign or officer, and shall remain standing until green is shown alone, except where a right-turn movement is permitted or directed, but shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and other traffic proceeding as directed by the signal.
    b.
    No pedestrian facing such signal shall enter the road after such sign is shown, or an officer so directs, but if then already in the road, he may proceed if he can do so safely and without interfering with any vehicular traffic.
    (4)
    Red with green arrow: Vehicular traffic facing such signal may cautiously enter the intersection only to make the movement in the direction indicated by such arrow, but shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within a crosswalk and to other traffic.
    (5)
    Signals other than at intersection: In the event an official traffic-control signal is erected and maintained at a place other than an intersection, the provisions of this section shall be applicable to vehicles and pedestrians, except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application. Any stop required shall be made at a sign or marking on the pavement indicating where the stop shall be made at the signal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flash40 View Post
    Because it's DC and things rarely make sense.

I don't think it's common, but I have seen it written on accidents. Of course, to pass a yellow light and cause an accident, what color did cross-traffic have? hmmm
    Yeah, pretty much point. I'm sure insurance companies love that. "Yeah I got a ticket for passing a yellow light...., but the other guy got one for running the red!" Reminds me of the lady I got into a crash with, who admitted running a stop sign; only to say "but he hit me."
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Forum Member

WI has a statute for violating a yellow traffic light. The only time I have ever written it was to sell a ticket when the light was red. The fine is the same as running a red light but people don't know that and think they are getting a deal. I work a midnight shift and am not a big fan of getting a couple hours of sleep before going to court.

The problem is when people push the limits on yellow lights and instead of coming to a safe stop, see if they can make it through before the light turns red.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Circular Yellow or Yellow Arrow

21452. (a) A driver facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal is, by that signal, warned that the related green movement is ending or that a red indication will be shown immediately thereafter.
    (b) A pedestrian facing a steady circular yellow or a yellow arrow signal, unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, is, by that signal, warned that there is insufficient time to cross the roadway and shall not enter the roadway.

Amended Ch. 256, Stats. 1986. Effective January 1, 1987.

Circular Red or Red Arrow

21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.

(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 14, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
    As you can see by the above quotes there is no violation for failure to stop for an YELLOW light. One word of caution, most motorists do not know how long a particular yellow light will be displayed and that is what gets them a ticket......they enter the intersection after the red light is displayed.
    Last edited by SgtCHP; 01-22-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member
    Is it end of my shift or the beginning? I Kid
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

An Obvious problem
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    As you can see by the above quotes there is no violation for failure to stop for an YELLOW light. One word of caution, most motorists do not know how long a particular yellow light will be displayed and that is what gets them a ticket......they enter the intersection after the red light is displayed.
    Except for a pedestrian, in which case entering the intersection on a yellow is a violation. Of course that's only if there isn't a pedestrian sign which would be covered under a different statute.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrdep View Post
    Except for a pedestrian, in which case entering the intersection on a yellow is a violation. Of course that's only if there isn't a pedestrian sign which would be covered under a different statute.
    Already covered in my post above......look at 21452(b) of the section quoted! BTW, except for cross-conering pedestrian walkways, pedestrians never enter the intersection by definition An intersection is:
    Intersection
    365. An "intersection" is the area embraced within the prolongations of the lateral curb lines, or, if none, then the lateral boundary lines of the roadways, of two highways which join one another at approximately right angles or the area within which vehicles traveling upon different highways joining at any other angle may come in conflict.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP11 View Post
    Can you get cited for this?
    i guess you could depending on the state but here is the texas traffic code pertaining to your question. is says a yellow is a warning that a red light is about to be given. not citable unless it turns red before you proceed into the intersection

Texas Transportation Code
    §544.007. Traffic-control signals in general.

(a) A traffic-control signal displaying different colored lights or colored
    lighted arrows successively or in combination may display only green, yellow, or red and
    applies to operators of vehicles as provided by this section.

(b) An operator of a vehicle facing a circular green signal may proceed straight
    or turn right or left unless a sign prohibits the turn. The operator shall yield the
    right-of-way to other vehicles and to pedestrians lawfully in the intersection or an
    adjacent crosswalk when the signal is exhibited.

(c) An operator of a vehicle facing a green arrow signal, displayed alone or
    with another signal, may cautiously enter the intersection to move in the direction
    permitted by the arrow or other indication shown simultaneously. The operator shall yield
    the right-of-way to a pedestrian lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic
    lawfully using the intersection.

(d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a
    clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before
    entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not
    turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping,
    standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to
    pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the
    intersection, the operator may:

(1) turn right; or

(2) turn left, if the intersecting streets are both one-way streets and a left
    turn is permissible.

(e) An operator of a vehicle facing a steady yellow signal is warned by that
    signal that:

(1) movement authorized by a green signal is being terminated; or

(2) a red signal is to be given.

(f) The Texas Transportation Commission, a municipal authority, or the
    commissioners court of a county may prohibit within the entity's jurisdiction a turn by
    an operator of a vehicle facing a steady red signal by posting notice at the intersection
    that the turn is prohibited.

(g) This section applies to an official traffic-control signal placed and
    maintained at a place other than an intersection, except for a provision that by its
    nature cannot apply. A required stop shall be made at a sign or marking on the pavement
    indicating where the stop shall be made. In the absence of such a sign or marking, the
    stop shall be made at the signal.

(h) The obligations imposed by this section apply to an operator of a streetcar
    in the same manner they apply to the operator of a vehicle.

(Added by L.1995, chap. 165(1), eff. 9/1/95.)

Forum Member

Yeah, our city ordinance reads if the light is yellow and you have reasonable time to safely stop you must...we pull over for it a lot, don't give out many tickets tho, mostly warnings unless other issues pop up

Forum Member

thanks all. btw Michigan law says you must stop for a yellow light.