Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Feinstein's Proposed 'Assault' Weapon Ban

Feinstein's Proposed 'Assault' Weapon Ban

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

Stopping the spread of deadly assault weapons

Stay informed

In January, Senator Feinstein will introduce a bill to stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devises...

Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
    120 specifically-named firearms
    -Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
    -Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
    -Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
    -Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
    -Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

-Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
    -Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
    Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
    -Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
    -Background check of owner and any transferee;
    -Type and serial number of the firearm;
    -Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    -Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    -Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

I grew up around firearms, and have used them for decades. I've carried concealed, and never had to draw (just like most carriers). I've expended a lot of time, effort, and money to become proficient and confident enough that I won't worsen a situation by ignorantly introducing a firearm without sufficient cause.

We just had a maniac kill 2 fireman over... nothing. AKs are taken off of gang members here in Atlanta left and right. These criminals will continue to have access to these weapons after this proposed ban, because they could care less about complying with the law. As long as these kind of people are out there, I want my right to defense, with an equal level of force, intact. The only things I'm interested in 'killing' are steel and paper targets, and I want representation who understands this extremely common point of view.

If this actually passes, it's going to be a sad day in American history.
    Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 12-27-2012 at 06:30 AM.
    Moffita likes this.

Not a snowball's chance in hell of passing as it is.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Is that the camel's nose I see pushing under the tent?
    "Don't make perfect the enemy of good."

There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreen712 View Post
    Not a snowball's chance in hell of passing as it is.
    Be careful what you say, the way things are going I would never say never. Besides, Democrat M.O. is ask for something that is completely ridicules and get half of what you want which is more than you had. Second step, repeat first step until you get everything you want.
    slamdunc and RR_Security like this.
    "Don't make perfect the enemy of good."

There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

Frederick Douglass

That's why I said, "as it is." Complete photo and fingerprint registration of probably over fifty million people? A complete blanket ban on the most popular style of rifle in the United States? More funding to the ATF, who is on everyone's crap list right now? Never will happen. It would probably cause a revolution if such a thing passed. It's highly doubtful that it would even hold up in the Supreme Court. They can't declare that everything this government does is a "tax".

The ONLY ban that stands any chance of passing in the Senate is one that mirrors the 94 ban, and with that one, that I'm skeptical of its chances of getting through the House.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Forum Member
    The last AW ban did nothing but make people money.
    Cheap imports became expensive and US companies said we can make those guns if they are going to bring that much money. Gun sales boomed meaning more profit. Entire new classes of firearms were created that did not exist before. Large caliber with more power became available since small caliber high capacity was restricted. People panic bought pre-ban guns like crazy for crazy prices then when the ban was passed and nothing changed about the gun except a bayonet lug they never used they realized they still had a house payment to make and dumped the guns on the market for much less than they paid. The only outcome of this is a few people who guess correctly are going to make a lot of money.
    GangGreen712 and ddurkof like this.

South central escapee... DOAcop38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
    The last AW ban did nothing but make people money.
    Cheap imports became expensive and US companies said we can make those guns if they are going to bring that much money. Gun sales boomed meaning more profit. Entire new classes of firearms were created that did not exist before. Large caliber with more power became available since small caliber high capacity was restricted. People panic bought pre-ban guns like crazy for crazy prices then when the ban was passed and nothing changed about the gun except a bayonet lug they never used they realized they still had a house payment to make and dumped the guns on the market for much less than they paid. The only outcome of this is a few people who guess correctly are going to make a lot of money.
    David, I have to agree on that- I wanted a M1A and when the '94 ban went down, the AR and M1A riflesprices went through the roof( Sady, I let a desk riding Sgt"convince" ,ala pressure me to turn in my CAR-9 rifle) when the price of the Springfield rifle went up-even though it wasn't on the ban list, Chinese polytechnique versions of the M1A and AR 15 started showing up on shelves in so.Cal- they were total crap, as I watched friends buy them and and watched them FAIL after being tested at local ranges.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Retired
    As a Police Officer I really don't want EVERYONE to be able to get weapons, assault or not. There are plenty of bad guys and loonies out there and having them armed only presents a danger to us. I've never shot anyone with a weaapon that I wasn't issued and wonder how many of you have? Every day I see people open carrying who would probbly go into diabetic shock if they got into a confrontation, leaving them and their weapon on the ground. A lot of this is just silly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Welcome to Sierra Vista

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ten08 View Post
    As a Police Officer I really don't want EVERYONE to be able to get weapons, assault or not. There are plenty of bad guys and loonies out there and having them armed only presents a danger to us. I've never shot anyone with a weaapon that I wasn't issued and wonder how many of you have? Every day I see people open carrying who would probbly go into diabetic shock if they got into a confrontation, leaving them and their weapon on the ground. A lot of this is just silly

Can't deny a man his right to be wrong.

Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
    Can't deny a man his right to be wrong.
    How many people have you shot with a weapoon you own?

Forum Member
    How many people have you shot with a weapoon you own?
    In over 26 years of police work I have carried my own weapons 90% of the time. I have been blessed that I have never had to USE deadly force. I have come close a number of times, but never had to shoot. I am sure that had I pulled the trigger on any one of "my" guns it would have worked, so what is your point? Only issued weapons kill?

In all those years I have never ran into a convict that couldn't get a gun if he wanted one. So while you don't want everyone to get weapons the facts are that criminals never have a problem getting weapons.

As a police officer I don't care if law abiding citizens have weapons, it is their Right. I wish the liberal judges would actually enforce the firearms laws that are on the books.
    Rblake, chiefjack and Moffita like this.
    Ut humiliter opinor

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG... WillBrink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
    http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

I grew up around firearms, and have used them for decades. I've carried concealed, and never had to draw (just like most carriers). I've expended a lot of time, effort, and money to become proficient and confident enough that I won't worsen a situation by ignorantly introducing a firearm without sufficient cause.

We just had a maniac kill 2 fireman over... nothing. AKs are taken off of gang members here in Atlanta left and right. These criminals will continue to have access to these weapons after this proposed ban, because they could care less about complying with the law. As long as these kind of people are out there, I want my right to defense, with an equal level of force, intact. The only things I'm interested in 'killing' are steel and paper targets, and I want representation who understands this extremely common point of view.

If this actually passes, it's going to be a sad day in American history.
    "Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and..."

The Second Amendment has nothing to do with either hunting or sports. The End.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Caution: Unvetted member. KenW.'s Avatar
    Just how long will a sealed steel ammo can with desicant and precious family heirlooms remain intact when burried about four feet deep in a back yard flower bed?
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Student of Gerbil Voodoo RR_Security's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
    AKs are taken off of gang members here in Atlanta left and right. These criminals will continue to have access to these weapons after this proposed ban, because they could care less about complying with the law.
    But if the manufacture, etc., is banned then eventually all the Evil Rifles will go away through attrition or something. Pure genius!

The word "Libtard" is kinda rude, but I do like the alliteration of "Libtard Logic," at which DiFi excels.

Student of Gerbil Voodoo RR_Security's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IAM Rand View Post
    Is that the camel's nose I see pushing under the tent?
    Yeah, and I don't want any more damn camel snot on my tent.

Hand me that electric flyswatter thingie there . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RR_Security View Post
    But if the manufacture, etc., is banned then eventually all the Evil Rifles will go away through attrition or something. Pure genius!

The word "Libtard" is kinda rude, but I do like the alliteration of "Libtard Logic," at which DiFi excels.
    Define "Eventually"!!

I have a .22 rifle my Grandmother handed down that was made around 1880 or so and it still shoots like a champ.

Republicans still control the House. None of which will vote for this and not all Democrats are anti-2nd and will also not vote for this.

I'll see you in 2014 when I will worry about a new gun control law.
    GangGreen712 likes this.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Background checks and fingerprints on everyone who owns a gun? How is that even legal. Its one thing to require it for new purchases, but not for people who already own guns. Am I reading the bill correctly? I'm supposed to walk down to the police station and get finger printed for something that I already legally own?

Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by ddurkof View Post
    In over 26 years of police work I have carried my own weapons 90% of the time. I have been blessed that I have never had to USE deadly force. I have come close a number of times, but never had to shoot. I am sure that had I pulled the trigger on any one of "my" guns it would have worked, so what is your point? Only issued weapons kill?

In all those years I have never ran into a convict that couldn't get a gun if he wanted one. So while you don't want everyone to get weapons the facts are that criminals never have a problem getting weapons.

As a police officer I don't care if law abiding citizens have weapons, it is their Right. I wish the liberal judges would actually enforce the firearms laws that are on the books.
    Must be the sticks, bring your own weapon. I was always issued a weapon and faced a real problem if I used something else. I don't think many city police want their local thugs to have access to tech 9s etc.

Caution: Unvetted member. KenW.'s Avatar
    I'd rather go up against a street thug with an AK than a cowboy with a deer rifle. Cowboys and hunters aim.

Also; I've always passed up the issue "lowest bidder" pistol from my agencies, and chose to use my own pistols: 1911s and XD.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber_Saint View Post
    Background checks and fingerprints on everyone who owns a gun? How is that even legal. Its one thing to require it for new purchases, but not for people who already own guns. Am I reading the bill correctly? I'm supposed to walk down to the police station and get finger printed for something that I already legally own?
    NO, anyone who needs an assault weapon to come out of their bunker. Will have to come out and register

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    "Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and..."

The Second Amendment has nothing to do with either hunting or sports. The End.
    Amen. And they can't get that through their heads. They always change the subject.

Liberal Politician: "We're not going to take away your right to hunt."

Gun Owner: "That's not what this is about. I'm worried about being able to arm myself as a deterrence against a tyrannical government and to defend myself against thugs who illegally obtain assault rifles. That's why I oppose this assault weapons ban."

Lib: (pauses and gives a dumb look) "I'd like to reiterate that we have a great history of sportsmen in our country and I am very much in favor of keeping the right to hunt. I think we all agree that you don't need an AR15 to go hunting."

Gun Owner: "You're right, you DON'T need an AR15 to go hunting. That's NOT what the 2nd Amendment is about. It wasn't written to ensure that people have a right to hunt."

Lib: (Another pause and dumb look) "Once again, you seem to be concerned about your right to hunt."

Gun Owner: "Once again, the communication process has broken down between us. I am going to say again, this is not about hunting..."

This is what we have to deal with: People who immediately set their hearing to 'mute' whenever someone tries to talk to them.
    Last edited by GangGreen712; 12-28-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    -Chris Rock

Forum Member
    Must be the sticks, bring your own weapon. I was always issued a weapon and faced a real problem if I used something else. I don't think many city police want their local thugs to have access to tech 9s etc.
    That is funny, we almost have more people in the Harris county than the whole state of Arizona. Heck, we have traffic jams that have more people than you have in most of your cities. Yep, the I live and work in the sticks.

I don't want thugs to have access to any weapons, but guess what? They already do have access to weapons. You can't be gullible enough to believe that the proposed assault weapons ban would have any effect on the thugs, can you?

Law abiding people can have machine guns and mortars and they don't increase the crime rate. It isn't about the weapon, it is about the crooks. I have owned several machine guns and the only thing they ever killed was my bank account.

It isn't about "needing" any type of weapon, it is about wanting a weapon. It is like owning a sports car. No one "needs" a Corvette that can go 150+ mph. America is not about "need," it is about wanting something and getting it. No law abiding member of our society should be branded as living in a "bunker" just because they own a black scary looking rifle or pistol.
    Ut humiliter opinor

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG... WillBrink's Avatar
    EPIC. Make of vid deserves an Oscar.

"Demand Celebrities Go F*ck Themselves"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1SZu...ature=youtu.be

Q: how many of those celebrities had security to and from making their vid?
    Rblake and Carbonfiberfoot like this.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Forum Member
    Yes gun controll it works so well in Chicago, LA, DC and all of CA oh wait it's not working there. Why because the criminals have all the guns they want and can get more when they want them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast