Forum Member

Prince William County out of state hiring process

Hello, I am driving 7 hours from Upstate NY to PWC VA to take the exam on Dec 31. I was curious if anyone has gone through the out of state hiring process as I have heard that they may bunch several of the steps together for out of state applicants. Any insight in to the department would be much appreciated. I have an AS in Criminal Justice and almost 2 years experience as a Private Investigator.

Forum Member
    Three officers from my district left my dept to go there. In less than a year they all resigned and came back to my dept.

Forum Member

They are an ok department, decent pay for the area, take-home vehicles during your four day tour, and decent room for advancement. However, depending on what you are use to, this department is not the be all when it comes to being proactive, especially when it relates to their pursuit policy. They should only make you come down twice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MPDCjock View Post
    Three officers from my district left my dept to go there. In less than a year they all resigned and came back to my dept.
    Wow that surprises me. PWC made it seem like they are the "be all end all" agency in the DC area when I applied. I should have taken it with a grain of salt.

I'm surprised DC took back officers that left?

Forum Member

Last I checked they had cancelled the july 13 academy because of funding . Don`t let Sumner get your hopes up....

Forum Member

They are having some serious budget problems. I know a couple of guys who just left there. Best of luck with your processing.

Forum Member
    I would look at some other departments:
    MSP has an out of state condensed process, pay blows but that is only bad thing I hear
    Balt Co is open, great dept
    MDTA is hiring, interesting mission

If I was single, probably go with MSP and work the Eastern shore.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB315 View Post
    Hello, I am driving 7 hours from Upstate NY to PWC VA to take the exam on Dec 31. I was curious if anyone has gone through the out of state hiring process as I have heard that they may bunch several of the steps together for out of state applicants. Any insight in to the department would be much appreciated. I have an AS in Criminal Justice and almost 2 years experience as a Private Investigator.

Forum Member

PWCPD is a great department. Should only be twice that you have to come down. I cannot say enough good things about the department. It has treated me and everyone else I know right. Good pay, take home car, and great benefits. The hiring process is very competitive, of the over 1500 people that applied to my academy class only 24 got hired. Best of luck to you!