• 1 Post By Ryan865
  • 2 Post By SHU
  • 2 Post By Albert Wesker
  • 4 Post By LA DEP
  • 1 Post By TheTick
  • 1 Post By XD4ME
  • 1 Post By justind000
  • 1 Post By AdamsCountySO

Thread: Tackling someone without getting hurt?

Forum Member

Tackling someone without getting hurt?

I've seen a few videos where an LEO tackles a suspect to the ground on asphalt/cement/pavement. How do they not hurt their hands/arms/legs in the process? Is there a technique involved?

Forum Member

It all depends on the situation. Most of the time, if you're tackling someone they have committed a somewhat serious offense or they have ran from you. If it's a running situation, then alot of the times you just do it the best way you can. Sometimes, you get a little scuffed up. It goes with the job. There are techniques, but much of the time technique goes out the window when you're dealing with a rapidly evolving situation. Short answer... if the guy stands still and doesn't fight back or run, then there are a number of simple techniques to save yourself from injuries. If they're not compliant, you do the best you can.
    AdamsCountySO and amn2588 like this.

Forum Member
    Land on top.

Forum Member

Don't tackle? I remember getting a rock shoved under my finger nail tacking someone at the academy. It hurt for a long time, so I remember and try and avoid tackling people if I can.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Item9 View Post
    Land on top.
    Worked for me so far.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by quadwing View Post
    I've seen a few videos where an LEO tackles a suspect to the ground on asphalt/cement/pavement. How do they not hurt their hands/arms/legs in the process? Is there a technique involved?
    Unfortunately there is no perfect technique where the LEO is not injured. This job has one of the highest number of injured on duty percentages of any other job out there...there is no other job out there, where on a weekly basis you might have to get into a physical confrontation with someone, even if it is not an all out fight, you might still be struggling to pull someone's hands behind their back, or have someone pulling away from you.....after years and years of that, it wears on your body eventually.

So far for me, two shoulder dislocations and one surgery, all from this job. Just keep that in mind, and always have a back-up plan when you come into Law Enforcement. Because it could be that one call you go to, and next thing you know you are injured and have to medically retire.
    jcioccke likes this.

Forum Member

Personally, I like the land on top option.It's pretty effective, and looks good when the "media wonks" are looking.
    jcioccke likes this.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Stay in excellent physical condition, land on top and let your rookie do the work!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Senior Veteran

I always let my Sgt. do the tackling.
    Jacob2899 and Michigan79 like this.
    Retired

Banned

Taser em first
    lpstopper and chiefjack like this.

An Obvious problem
    Cause we all played football, it's a job requirement.
    jcioccke and HI629 like this.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdrdep View Post
    Cause we all played football, it's a job requirement.
    Excuse me, I played rugby...

To OP: You kind of just try to "ride them down", but nothings perfect. If it's a foot pursuit and I am catching up to them, I usually just try and push them, it generally makes someone fall forward.

Nothing's perfect.
    beachcop05 likes this.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Forum Member

Go to you tube and search "Terrell Suggs", "Brian Dawkins", or "Brian Orakpo" and do EVERYTHING they do.
    Jacob2899 likes this.
    Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
    To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

victis honor
    I will only tackle my wife when shes standing by the bed...everyone else gets zapped.
    TheTick and chiefjack like this.
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Excuse me, I played rugby...

To OP: You kind of just try to "ride them down", but nothings perfect. If it's a foot pursuit and I am catching up to them, I usually just try and push them, it generally makes someone fall forward.

Nothing's perfect.
    It's okay, he just needed the extra pads for protection.
    TheTick likes this.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. -Psalm 18:2

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    Stay in excellent physical condition, land on top and let your rookie do the work!
    Shouldn't the rookie being doing the tackling and you putting the cuffs on??
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made or based on my own thought and opinions.

SHU
    Forum Member
    Pushing them down or kick tripping them is much safer if the situation allows. But a good tackle where the rabbits head digs into the pavement is educational.
    lpstopper and HI629 like this.

Forum Member
    Try pushing a guy forward who is running and he will fall over. Believe me, works a lot better than tackling.

Now don't get me wrong, I have tackled plenty of guys, in fact probably a lot more than the average law enforcement officer, and I have been fortunate in that the worst injury I have had is a few minor bruises and scrapes.
    HI629 and TheTick like this.
    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by SHU View Post
    Pushing them down or kick tripping them is much safer if the situation allows. But a good tackle where the rabbits head digs into the pavement is educational.
    Hitting them with the car door slows them down a bit too.....
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    Hitting them with the car door slows them down a bit too.....
    LOL. But only if the car has COMPLETELY stopped rolling, otherwise it's deadly force according to Adm. Sgts... ask me how I know.
    HI629 likes this.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by quadwing View Post
    land on the bad guy
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member

Use the runner to break you fall as much as possible. Keep in mind asphalt can lead to some nasty road rash. Some of the bike patrol guys I have seen developed very effective methods for chasing and "decentralizing" runners.
    HI629 likes this.

Forum Member

The technique is more like a few dictums: land on top, don't fall to begin with, don't get in that situation.
    AdamsCountySO likes this.

Forum Member

If you're concerned about getting a little scrap on your arm, you shouldn't be in law enforcement. When you tackle someone, you have so much adrenaline you won't even know you're cut until you get back to the office/jail. And of course, land on top of them and keep your gun away as much as possible!
    Zeitgeist likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamsCountySO View Post
    If you're concerned about getting a little scrap on your arm, you shouldn't be in law enforcement. When you tackle someone, you have so much adrenaline you won't even know you're cut until you get back to the office/jail. And of course, land on top of them and keep your gun away as much as possible!
    ^ yep
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown