Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What are you wearing? Tactical vs Professional

Forum Member

What are you wearing? Tactical vs Professional

At my jail we use to wear BDU's. Due to getting an old school new Major we were forced to switch to a class B style uni. the new major wanted to give a more professional appearance to our jail staff. Which is understandable. However another reason for changing uniforms and it was argued "BDU's are intimidating to the Inmates"

Can't a tactical look be just as professional? and less intimidating?

with that major now retired most of us would like to change to a Polo shirt and TDU style pants. what do my fellow CO's think?

Hack
    Have you seen a New York State's C.O.'s uniform? It is hands down the ugliest, most non-intimidating, least comfortable and often mistaken for a bus driver uniform in the entire United States. Be glad for whatever you are wearing because I guarantee it is 3000 times better than the rags I wear on a daily basis.
    Puher and deliver247 like this.
    The views expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Hack
    The views expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Forum Member

those are ridiculous....ours are all navy blue...remove the patches, badge, and name tag we look like mechanics....they are cheap and very uncomfortable....mine are less than a year old and are faded and lil lint balls forming on them...t

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BSOdeputy View Post
    Have you seen a New York State's C.O.'s uniform? It is hands down the ugliest, most non-intimidating, least comfortable and often mistaken for a bus driver uniform in the entire United States. Be glad for whatever you are wearing because I guarantee it is 3000 times better than the rags I wear on a daily basis.
    I agree 100%. I love how it was rumored we were getting a new uniform since we merged with parole, but nothing was ever made of it. And New York sucks so bad, their not even inmates anymore. Their offenders... But who cares if a tactical style uniform intimidates them, isn't that the point. If their intimidated, they don't act out, they don't act out, everyone goes home at the end of the day.
    BSOdeputy and ret2991 like this.

Forum Member
    BDU pants are way better, especially if your working "in population". Pockets are great for extra cuffs, gloves, masks. Granola bars (if you don't get to go to meal that day). They're more sturdy, in case you gotta"mix it up" that day. They regular pants are good for working at headquarters, the academy.
    The question of intimidating? I don't want to look like Im friends or friendly. Fork 'em. The person making that decision is their oak wood office, sippin on scotch, watching me do some real work- on camera.
    deliver247 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by subyray View Post
    I agree 100%. I love how it was rumored we were getting a new uniform since we merged with parole, but nothing was ever made of it. And New York sucks so bad, their not even inmates anymore. Their offenders... But who cares if a tactical style uniform intimidates them, isn't that the point. If their intimidated, they don't act out, they don't act out, everyone goes home at the end of the day.
    The only ones allowed a tacticle uniform are our SERT members, why is this when we only use them about once a year....even if we used them more than that why do they get to look different, we are all part of the same family....regular deputies do more hands on with inmates every day...it would make more sence for us all to wear the same uniform but identify SERT member with a patch...

Quote Originally Posted by ret2991 View Post
    BDU pants are way better, especially if your working "in population". Pockets are great for extra cuffs, gloves, masks. Granola bars (if you don't get to go to meal that day). They're more sturdy, in case you gotta"mix it up" that day. They regular pants are good for working at headquarters, the academy.
    The question of intimidating? I don't want to look like Im friends or friendly. Fork 'em. The person making that decision is their oak wood office, sippin on scotch, watching me do some real work- on camera.
    our office people are civilian and classification officers...civilians get to wear just about anything and classification wears polos and TDU pants. these employee's deal with the general public everyday much more than those of us who work the floor....my take is this, shouldnt these workers have to wear a professional looking uniform as well seeing how they deal with the general public...

I know it sounds like i am bitching and in some sence i am...mainly i'm just curious what the uniform standards are at other facilities... thanx

Forum Member

I work in a County Jail and we wear 5.11 tactical polos and pants. I'd actually much prefer wearing the traditional uniform same as our deputies, which we used to do but it was changed before I got hired on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cagipson View Post
    I work in a County Jail and we wear 5.11 tactical polos and pants. I'd actually much prefer wearing the traditional uniform same as our deputies, which we used to do but it was changed before I got hired on.
    why? tacticle polos and pants are more tacticle and comfortable....

Forum Member
    we usually wear class b pants with two tone class a shirts and leathers

Forum Member
    Look at the BOP uniforms

Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Forum Member

WOW those suck

Forum Member
    I used to wear BDUs. We have the option to wear either. However, since I have be training to (hopefully) switch agencies soon I have been be wearing Class B's. I have noticed the better shape I am in the less uncomfortable they feel. They really are not practical for today's policing considering all the stuff a patrol officer has to carry but they do the job.
    BNWS likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DEP_134 View Post
    why? tacticle polos and pants are more tacticle and comfortable....
    Image and air of authority. It's sorely lacking in my department and "looking the part" I think would help solve some of our issues with respect. However, I'm in the minority of that thinking and a Rookie.. so mouth stays shut.

Forum Member

We wear tan non-BDU uniforms and our SERT team members get BDUs. In the winter, we have to wear dark green (almost brown) long sleeve shirts with black turtlenecks. Nevada DOC officers wear green BDUs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cagipson View Post
    Image and air of authority. It's sorely lacking in my department and "looking the part" I think would help solve some of our issues with respect. However, I'm in the minority of that thinking and a Rookie.. so mouth stays shut.
    rookie or not your opinion still matters brother

Old Dep/Now RN
    It's obvious I'm getting old. In my day you were supposed to intimidate the IMs.
    Iowa #1603 and HI629 like this.
    Street Medic motto: "Do No Harm; Do Know Harm"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Medic View Post
    It's obvious I'm getting old. In my day you were supposed to intimidate the IMs.
    Brother in some states CO's aren't allowed to call them inmates anymore they have to refer to them as offender

Old Dep/Now RN
    Brother in some states CO's aren't allowed to call them inmates anymore they have to refer to them as offender
    I can't imagine that lasting too long before some squishy-hearted somebody says "We can't call them offenders, that's too much like sex offender, and that could blemish their self esteem!"
    Street Medic motto: "Do No Harm; Do Know Harm"

Forum Member

If they're going for political correctness, offender is actually more offensive. They are all inmates, but if they're in a local or county jail, they may not have been found guilty yet and not technically "offenders."
    HI629 likes this.

Forum Member

Regular officers here wear Class A uniforms, those are white dress tops and french blue pants with a navy blue stripe down the side. Ugly as sin.

Our SORT team members wear navy blue BDUs, are firearms and OC certified. Regular officers basically don't do anything except work a post.

I sure am gonna miss these BDU's, comfy as hell
    Serving Anne Arundel County since 2005

Forum Member

We've recently got a new jailer...hopefully he changes the uniform policy...we were told he was going to get rid of our metal badges and metal name tags and replace them with patches...but keep the same uniform...but it's all still on the air...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Medic View Post
    Yeah.. here we can't even write them up for calling us every name they can think of..

It's Complicated

I got in trouble about twice a year for 10 yrs or so because I insisted on calling them convicts.

That was back when we were instructed to call them INMATES. About 10 yrs ago the new director decided we would call them OFFENDERS (STATE DOC so they were convicted)

I never did use the word OFFENDER -------except when I updated policy because I HAD to there..

Felon Enemy #1
    I Nevada we wear 5.11 or Popper BDU's with the option to wear BDU Pants and a polo drom April-September.

Those dealing with the public wear class B's, CERT where's black BDU's, no summer options.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last