• 1 Post By Che
  • 1 Post By Carbonfiberfoot
  • 2 Post By reils49
  • 1 Post By Reedo

Thread: Hornady Critical Duty?

Tmg
    Forum Member

Hornady Critical Duty?

So gun and ammo experts. What the verdict on these? Great, Horrible, average?
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Forum Member

Speer Gold Dots!
    reils49 and joe publik like this.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

St. Cloud Proud!
    hard to say, the data on their site shows great penetration, but not very good expansion compared to gold dot. Also, was unable to find any velocity or energy data on their site. Not sure if it is technically a bonded round or not, but in a duty round that should be mandatory. I saw it has a "flex-lock" bullet, seems like they are trying to pass it is bonded. Here are there FBI numbers for 9mm +p 135 g and Gold Dots 9mm +p 124g:

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ha...-gr-9mm-lugerp

http://le.atk.com/ammunition/speer/h....aspx?id=53617
    In Valor there is hope

Che
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tmg View Post
    So gun and ammo experts. What the verdict on these? Great, Horrible, average?
    It depends on what gun and caliber you are talking about. Reliability should be #1 because if the greatest 'death ray' developed jams your pistol then that is not doable.
    slamdunc likes this.

Forum Member

Stick with Speer Gold Dots, Federal HSTs, and Winchester Ranger Ts (or Buffalo Bore\Doubletap\Black Hills if you want fancy factory hand-loads).

Hornady's decision to only offer underpowered rounds in their 'civilian' lineup is an offensive marketing gimmick, and their handgun ammo is nothing special.

However, their 75gr TAP 5.56 cartridges are excellent. They are very accurate, and fragment reliably at realistic engagement ranges.
    Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 12-13-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    mookster likes this.

Forum Member

I have handloaded Hornady bullets in rifles and pistols I use for hunting/target shooting with good results. That being said, all my duty/carry pistols are stocked with Gold-Dots. Im not really sure what to think about their "Zombie" labeled ammo yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XD4ME View Post
    ...Im not really sure what to think about their "Zombie" labeled ammo yet.
    From: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Ammo_Cr...ions/index.htm

7.62x39 Hornady V-MAX vs. Z-MAX

Just wanted to show the differences between the 7.62x39mm Hornaday Zombie Max 123gr next to the Hornaday V Max 123gr, Both are noncorrosive, berdan primed, polymer coated steel case. One has ball powder, while the other has stick, and the jacket on the Zombie Max is twice as thick.

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by ERMedic View Post
    Speer Gold Dots!
    Simply the best duty ammo on the market.
    slamdunc and SCSU74 like this.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Off topic poster
    My vote is for the federal HST, that stuff is worth it's weight in gold. I will never go to work without that. I have never messed with the factory Hornady rounds, just the bullets for home brewed re-loads.

Forum Member

And here I thought they just put fancy green tips on standard loads to sell to a different market.

Forum Member
    I bought a 25 round box of 9mm +P to try out in the old lady's new Glock 19. I haven't had a chance to go try it out. It's definitely nice looking ammo, lol.

Mega Infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdawg45 View Post
    I'm sorry, but any company that sinks to the juvenile depth of producing "Zombie Ammo" has lost any credibility in the LE market, and what the Hell was Sig thinking with the Zombie P238 with radioactive green grips?

LD
    Those are created for men using manicures for their toes.

Sig has come up with some hideous colors for their guns and grips for the past few years.

Mega Infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by reils49 View Post
    Simply the best duty ammo on the market.
    I believed in the same until attended product demo comparing Speer Gold Dot pistol ammo in various calibers to other manufacturer's. But if it comes to .45 ACP, Speer Gold Dot was it!

Una Stamus

The Critical Duty is the only pistol ammo I'd use by Hornady, but there are a lot better options out there. I know that people like Dr. Gary Roberts and others are still testing the Critical Duty to see if they do perform the same as what Hornady advertises. For personal use, I wouldn't be against someone using Critical Duty if for some reason they didn't have access to something else. If I were buying ammo for my department, I would not use the Hornady. At least not yet, as there hasn't been sufficient testing of it to prove it's ability.

Personally, I'm a Federal Tactical HST, Federal Tactical Bonded or Speer Gold Got guy.
    SCSU74 likes this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Forum Member
    I have some Zombie bullets by Hornady for my .380. They're the exact same thing as critical defense with different coloration. They were the same price, and I thought the box looked silly so it was worth purchasing, IMO. I've actually had a lot of fun with it.

SigArms
    Critical defense is GOOD quality stuff, Don't let these bashers tell you any different! Speer is really good stuff too i use those and my secondary backup ammunition but use the Critical defense as my primary.

Check my boy's video's out here these are super great ballistic quality videos he uses for various SD ammunition from Winchester ranger/sxt's, Speed gold dots, Corbon, Hornady, Federal HST and the list goes on. Just check watch for your self on how well each ammo variety performs on ballistic sim test. Multiple calibers as well great selection

EDIT not allowing me to post his youtube link but just go to Youtube and type in "TNoutdoors9 channel" and venture from there well worth it
    Last edited by Glockshooter23; 12-31-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Forum Member
    I've been subscribed to TNoutdoors9 for a while now. Fun vids.