Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Places to stay/visit in California?

Forum Member

Places to stay/visit in California?

I would post on the CA board but it's LEO only I think so yeah. Anyway, I'm flying over to California for three weeks to visit family but I'm at a loss as to what to do for sightseeing, touristic attractions etc. I'll be in San Francisco for a week or so then I'm heading to Los Angeles for the remainder of the time. Any suggestions would be more than welcome, thanks.

L.S.U. FAN (atic)
    State forums are NOT LEO only.
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Forum Member

Alright thanks, it's just that above the state forum it said LEO topics only but thanks for clearing that up. Disregard this everyone else.

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    State forums are NOT LEO only.
    Ya', what Officer mav done said...,

Cuz' if they was, da' O.COM choppa' wud' owe me 'bout 10 million'z years in da' hole I declare....

Quote Originally Posted by leeheydon View Post
    Alright thanks, it's just that above the state forum it said LEO topics only but thanks for clearing that up. Disregard this everyone else.

Hey wait a minute lee, stick 'round mate, hell ya' started this thready thingy, we might as well blab some...

If....... Ya' aint no copper, ya must be a fellow wise guy.

So whats ya' game?

swindler?

Card cheat?

Bank robba'?

Numbers guy?

Booze?

Now let's get dump'in straight likes here Mr. leeheydon, Iz' might be wear'in a Captain's thingy, butt'z Iz' really da' Admiral Of dis' here town'z, iz do declares...
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Forum Member

Well asullivan, I guess you could call me a regular Al Capone.

Forum Member
    Did I just see a picture of Captain Binghamton?

I don't know if they still do this or if they even still exist, but when I was in San Francisco as a kid they had a thing called a Grey Line bus tour of the city. I don't remember all of it, but it was a few hours and they basically took you all over the place, would make stops so you could get out and look around, etc. A buddy of mine went several years ago on a work related thing and did the Alcatraz tour and he thought it was great.

I've been to LA as well, and didn't like it as much as I did in the north, but we did take a tour of NBC Studios which was really cool. I imagine the movie studios run something like that as well. Overall, California is awesome. I'd live there myself if it wasn't for the fact that 10% of this country already does. Well that and the fact that you basically have to pay a tax just to get out of bed in the morning...

Professor of Stuff
    Well asullivan, I guess you could call me a regular Al Capone.

Well'z,,, Looks like we gunna' get along just fine 'Iz do declare'z..

Well just don'tz sit thar'.....

come on in and meet 'da boy'z of da' "O", I demand'z!!

Here sit down'z son, have a tug, and break out da' O.COM gold pieces...

We'z easy on da' new one's wez' tiz'...

BTW..

If ya' want any HOT O.COM 101's letta' me know, I got da' corner on da' wemen'z folk 'round deez' here part'z too!

Sire leeheydon, don't believe a word of that bastard, he's a lying, cheating drunk not of this world.
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Forum Member

Carpenter, with your loose lips, I'm surprised you haven't sunk a fleet! Now get out of here!

They run greyline over here, at least I still think they do. I'm sure there are tours I could get in on. I'm not really sure what I'll do in LA, apart from the movie studio tours and the Hollywood sign etc. It's not like I can just stroll down to watts

I would love to live in California, although I've never been there so I can't really talk but it looks great. Immigration is a whole other story though sadly.

Thanks for the response JJHunsacker

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by JJHunsacker View Post
    Did I just see a picture of Captain Binghamton?

No'z fellow scumbag civy...Jeezzzz.....

It was, ummmmm, errr, ummmm,

Dink, dInk damn'z ya' JJ!!!

Ummmm. errrrrr,,,It Twaz' Hop Sing'z a Ling....

NO!!!!

errrr..

Corp. ShutzH, ya' shutltch'z...dat' fat kuart, dat' who it' 'bez...

He say, he don't know nutt'inz.....

Yea' dat'z who'z it 'twas JJ...

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Forum Member

You're a confusing fellow asullivan

Professor of Stuff
    Carpenter, with your loose lips, I'm surprised you haven't sunk a fleet! Now get out of here!

Ya' 'taint call'in ma' a bug iz' ya' mate????

No you stupid Idiot, he's calling you Ensign Carpenter, you fool!

Ohhhh... whateva'!!!!

TriGga',,,, bring ma' sum' gawddamn'z paypa' or'z 'yaz tail!!!

Gotta' do da' 'scrub'z...

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Forum Member

I'm tempted to make a meth addict joke

Professor of Stuff
    You're a confusing fellow asullivan

Stare inta' dis' thingy fer' a while mate....

I'm tempted to make a meth addict joke

Go ahead'z, give it ya' best "shot"...

Sweet baby Jesus, wez' done did hear dem'z all 'round dez' here part'z we'z has...

Remeba' where's ya' bez' at...

Da' O son, Da' O....................

Now'z if ya' was smart like's,,, We could hook up'z and rob that Bastard..

I hear it got'z da' O.COM payroll in it'z..

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Forum Member

Forum Member

[B]Now'z if ya' was smart like's,,, We could hook up'z and rob that Bastard..
    [/B

You're on, time and place.

Forum Member

Thanks for the links sanitizer, the Winchester house looks interesting.

Forum Member

I grew up in SF & if you can afford to stay in The City (yes, we capitalize it!), stay near Fisherman's Wharf & don't rent a car. Parking is outrageous. Otherwise stay near the airport but stick with a big name hotel (Marriot not Travelodge.) Hit the Wharf & walk around, take a cable car over the hill through Chinatown to downtown (Union Square). Cable car or cab back.
    I don't know about tours. I don't think SF has hop-on/hop-off buses like Boston. Walk the bridge maybe. If you are at the Wharf take an Alcatraz tour but book in advance. This time of year is actually a tourist time since the fog is gone. It is also crab season & crab at Alioto's (or any other place is a must do if you eat crab.) Good Wharf restaurant is Francisco's, Scoma's & Alioto's. (All within a block of each other as I recall.) SF Presidio is also close & worth a tour unless you have kids to entertain. (Pier 39 also has stores & stuff. The sea lions are fun free entertainment.)
    Drive over the GG Bridge to Sausalito or Golden Gate Recreation Area for scenery. Further north to Napa is a good day or over night trip.
    SoCal I highly recommend the Reagan Library in Simi Valley. Might want to check out Universal Studios, Disneyland and/or Knotts Berry Farm. If you drive down from SF to LA take the coast & go to Hearst Castle.
    Those are my thoughts. Hope they help!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleI View Post
    I grew up in SF & if you can afford to stay in The City (yes, we capitalize it!), stay near Fisherman's Wharf & don't rent a car. Parking is outrageous. Otherwise stay near the airport but stick with a big name hotel (Marriot not Travelodge.) Hit the Wharf & walk around, take a cable car over the hill through Chinatown to downtown (Union Square). Cable car or cab back.
    I don't know about tours. I don't think SF has hop-on/hop-off buses like Boston. Walk the bridge maybe. If you are at the Wharf take an Alcatraz tour but book in advance. This time of year is actually a tourist time since the fog is gone. It is also crab season & crab at Alioto's (or any other place is a must do if you eat crab.) Good Wharf restaurant is Francisco's, Scoma's & Alioto's. (All within a block of each other as I recall.) SF Presidio is also close & worth a tour unless you have kids to entertain. (Pier 39 also has stores & stuff. The sea lions are fun free entertainment.)
    Drive over the GG Bridge to Sausalito or Golden Gate Recreation Area for scenery. Further north to Napa is a good day or over night trip.
    SoCal I highly recommend the Reagan Library in Simi Valley. Might want to check out Universal Studios, Disneyland and/or Knotts Berry Farm. If you drive down from SF to LA take the coast & go to Hearst Castle.
    Those are my thoughts. Hope they help!
    Keep going south on Highway 1 and stop for lunch at Charly's Place in Guadalupe, CA.

Forum Member

Everything about SF was awesome, even th restaurants in the Castro (get over it). Wine country is an absolute must. I can remember one of the wineries having a bocce ball court in the back that overlooked the mountain range. AWESOME.

Sorry, my opinion: LA was a toilet and I hated it. Highlight was driving up the Hollywood Hills trying to see the HOLLYWOOOD sign and seeing Leif Garret taking out his trash. Traffic was an abortion.

One thing we did do when driving from SF to LA was rent a drop top Mustang and drove the Pacific Coast Highway. Just don't forget that we drive on the right, or you're going to kill someone.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Forum Member
    Tick you must be younger than I thought. With my generation usually the first thing that comes to mind is Carol Doda at the Condor Club. She certainly had a unique way of playing a grand piano.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sanitizer View Post
    Tick you must be younger than I thought. With my generation usually the first thing that comes to mind is Carol Doda at the Condor Club. She certainly had a unique way of playing a grand piano.
    I was out there in '08 when I was 28
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Forum Member

Great answer eagle1, thanks a lot. I'm staying with family in the city but when I get to LA I'll be on my own. I've written a list out of everything you suggested, I'll try to do as many as I can. Thank you very much, that was a big help.

Forum Member

Thanks chiefjack, if I can get a bus down that way definitely.

Forum Member

Thanks TheTick, sadly wine country will have to be a miss as I'm under age. I've always thought LA looked great but I'm likely wrong, what didn't you like about it? I'll have to look at some public transport options to get to the sign and the studio tours.

The Mustang would be a lot of fun but I don't have a license and even if I did I would have to be accompanied the whole time .

Forum Member

sanitizer, I just searched up the Condor Club, I thought it was a restaurant . It's a damn shame I'll have to give that one a miss as well .

Page 1 of 3 123 Last