Forum Member

advice from explorers or officers...

I recently received the promotion for sergeant in my post. Out of everyone on the post that applied, i had been in the post the least amount of time... I expect a little bit of pressure from the others that have been there for three or four years and applied, I expect to be in the spotlight as far as that goes. I am seeking advice on leadership and leading by example and doing the best for the post...

Thanks.

As far as being a leader, you just need to have confidence in yourself, your judgement, and your decisions. You should be sound with choices you make on your own without others consulting on the topic. Also, always be on your best behavior, because someone is always watching. You represent your department and your post 24/7.

Oh, and don't be nervous if you find the others that applied watching you, because the only thing they want is to be in your shoes, so be a role model for them at what they can achieve.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostman View Post
    As far as being a leader, you just need to have confidence in yourself, your judgement, and your decisions. You should be sound with choices you make on your own without others consulting on the topic. Also, always be on your best behavior, because someone is always watching. You represent your department and your post 24/7.

Oh, and don't be nervous if you find the others that applied watching you, because the only thing they want is to be in your shoes, so be a role model for them at what they can achieve.
    Well said, along with that ensure that you always follow the set guidelines by your post leaders and the department, and enforce those guidelines. Always make sure your uniform looks the best that it can, because little things matter, once you start to get sloppy, everyone will. Respect does not come with the rank, you have to gain the respect of your peers, so do not be unreasonable when enforcing the guidelines.

I'm sure you'll do fine, the rest of it will come to you, nobody is perfect and everyone is expected to make mistakes, that's the only way you will learn in such a position!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rblack1990 View Post
    what do you do as a sgt??
    much less than the base level explorer.. hahahahahah
    I think about the only thing which hadn't made the trip into this guy's colon was a greyhound bus.
    ~Kieth M.

Man In Tan

Explorer