Forum Member

Becoming a Police Officer in Florida

Hello All,

I am quite confused as to the process of becoming a police officer in Florida. I understand you must become certified. Is that a police academy or basically going to school again?

-J

Forum Member
    You must be certified in Florida or come from another state from which the certification transfers over. Also, military police experience can assist you in the certification process.

If you are not certified at all, meaning you have no police experience, you have two ways of becoming certified. One is finding a department who sponsors you through the academy. This has become harder and harder and hardly any department does this anymore. Only FHP continuosly does this. The other way is putting yourself through an academy and once certified, applying to whichever department you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoricuaLEO View Post
    You must be certified in Florida or come from another state from which the certification transfers over. Also, military police experience can assist you in the certification process.

If you are not certified at all, meaning you have no police experience, you have two ways of becoming certified. One is finding a department who sponsors you through the academy. This has become harder and harder and hardly any department does this anymore. Only FHP continuosly does this. The other way is putting yourself through an academy and once certified, applying to whichever department you are interested.

Hope this helps.
    BoricuaLEO pretty much got it all covered.

You need to attend a Police Academy (Not school, however you do earn some College Credits from a Police Academy).

Best thing you can do is locate your local Police Academy, contact them and see what their requirements are. Most academies that I know of in Florida accept self-sponsored (meaning you pay for it yourself) or you can apply at a agency that offers sponsorship's.

Won't let me post any links but you can google search Florida FDLE Law Enforcement requirements and it will give you a list of all the Certified Police Academies in Florida and also the Police Officer requirements.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    -Ernest Hemingway