Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Item9
  • 1 Post By lilyWA

Thread: Do leg compression sleeves work?

Forum Member

Do leg compression sleeves work?

Has anyone tried leg compression sleeves (such as Zensah)? I'm thinking about trying some but they can be a bit pricey, just wanted to get some feedback on if they are worth it or not. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Just wondering, what are they supposed to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    Just wondering, what are they supposed to do?
    I think theyre suppose to keep the swelling down on your calfs while running. I've read that research actually shows no benefits to them, but for whatever reason people claim they decrease soreness, shin splints, etc. so i'm kind of loston the whole concept of them.

Forum Member
    My wife said they relieve her shin splints and her calves feel more comfortable during and after a run. She won't run without them anymore. I've never used them.
    pittguy1984 likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks everyone! I think i've seen them for $40 so I might as well give them a shot. Trying to boost my miles by alot this week so i'm preparing any way I can.

Forum Member

I got really bad posterior shin splints and tried them after resting a week. I tried to do a slow jog to get back into gear and used these sleeves. I put them on before and left them on after and while I used the foam roll. It definitely helped keep them from flaring up and getting worse. I'll continue to use them in conjunction with strengthening and stretching exercise I found that are helping.

SHU
    Forum Member
    I bought them for shin splints years ago and they did not do a thing for me.

Waingro...where is he?
    i wear them on long runs...i like them. even if its just placebo, its worth it of it stop the calves from hurting
    Perseverate In Pugna

Forum Member

Yes, they work! They were a life saver for me when I was in the academy. I had a ton of issues with shin splints and compression sleeves were just what I needed. I also had to ice my shins a lot after running, but the key is to wear them after running, that's when they work the best.

Forum Member
    I just bought a set to hopefully help my shin splints. For those of you who do or have worn then, do you just wear them while you run or do you wear them along with icing your shins? If so how my times a day and for how long?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfcdennisc View Post
    I just bought a set to hopefully help my shin splints. For those of you who do or have worn then, do you just wear them while you run or do you wear them along with icing your shins? If so how my times a day and for how long?
    I've been wearing them on my runs, and whether it is all mental or not, they seem to work wonders. I typically will only wear them during my run, and keep them on for maybe 20-30 minutes after I finish. However I don't ice after my runs.

Forum Member
    pittguy1984-I am glad they are working out for you.

For future reference; there is a website that stocks several brands of compression socks that are very affordable. www.supporthosiery.com

Icing will definitely help with any associated pain.

While treating shin splints, always try to incorporate some stretches into your regime. For a visual, here is an example of some very effective stretches:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv6ycmOWnq0
    pittguy1984 likes this.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin.