Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Thigh rig vs belt

Forum Member

Thigh rig vs belt

Been using a thigh rig and I liked it. I used belt rig before at a security company and I had nothing bad to say about it....

now that I've used the thigh rig for a few months, I'm going to try the belt rig again.

I just swapped it out on my belt, and I have to be honest the thigh rig felt better (first impression)

let's get in the car and see how it feels again.

for people who have used both, which did you end up preferring?

fwiw, I'm a lefty, so with the thigh rig, it fit well between the seat and the door. but would make it very hard to unholster if need be.

also one thing I noticed with my thigh rig (I keep mine rather high) is when my hand is resting on the side, my gun hand is directly over the gun, making unholstering very quick.

just want to hear some other officer's opinions. my dept, both is allowed, and i'd say 30% wear the thigh rig and prefer it. some have switched. they complained it's a PITA to run it (but they also have worn it very low without adjusting it)

Forum Member
    I'm a lefty and I can wear one but I choose not to because everytime I get out of my vehicle the hood to my holster is down.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush817 View Post
    I'm a lefty and I can wear one but I choose not to because everytime I get out of my vehicle the hood to my holster is down.
    do you use a hood guard? I put one on my 6360 and the hood is never down anymore
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rush817 View Post
    Had the same problem... my vest (tac vest) always pushed it down. got a hood guard, and problem solved. It won't interfere when you undo the hood, but it won't let things push it open either

I used the regular belt rig today, and I must say it was nice not having something attached to my leg and it opening 2 extra pockets that the thigh rig covers up.

however, I will say that overall comfortableness was better with the thigh rig. the holster's belt mount kept digging into my leg, which was rather annoying. I don't remember that from before...

I'll stick it out few more shifts with it and decide I guess.

Right now, I prefer the thigh rig still.

oh, and I did have to draw on someone today, and muscle memory is still there. I wasn't looking for my gun on my thigh or anything, I immediately drew from the belt holster without even thinking where the gun is.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member
    I had two sets, If I knew I was doing foot patrol that day id set up my thigh rig. If I knew id be doing vehicle patrol Id set up my belt rig. Overall comfort goes to the thigh rig.

My thigh rig was a Safariland Raptor 6070 with middle finger release button.

My belt rig was an Blackhawk level 2 duty serpa.
    Last edited by Ramrod711; 12-10-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Forum Member

Never thought of it from a left-handed perspective. I hate driving the Crown Vic with my thigh rig on, but I'm right handed.

Interesting, I guess in your case, I would wear the thigh rig. I find them much more comfortable and getting weight off of the belt pays dividends to your back.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Forum Member

double post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Never thought of it from a left-handed perspective. I hate driving the Crown Vic with my thigh rig on, but I'm right handed.

Interesting, I guess in your case, I would wear the thigh rig. I find them much more comfortable and getting weight off of the belt pays dividends to your back.
    yeah, I can see how it would be hitting the junk in the middle lol. as a lefty, it perfectly fits in the gap between the seat and the door and ends up like it's not even there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrod711 View Post
    I had two sets, If I knew I was doing foot patrol that day id set up my thigh rig. If I knew id be doing vehicle patrol Id set up my belt rig. Overall comfort goes to the thigh rig.

My thigh rig was a Safariland Raptor 6070 with middle finger release button.

My belt rig was an Blackhawk level 2 duty serpa.
    yeah, the thigh rig (when setup properly) is so much better on a 12 hour shift. some guys complain it's PITA when they have to run, but I disagree. might be an issue when you jump a fence maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    that's practically how mine is setup. I cut the strap on mine to shortest possible so it's pretty much as high as it can go.

Forum Member

To OP: For righties it's not so much banging **** in the car, it's more about hitting the steering wheel when playing "jump out boys"

P.S. I tried so hard to find a dildo in the reflection on your TV.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    To OP: For righties it's not so much banging **** in the car, it's more about hitting the steering wheel when playing "jump out boys"

P.S. I tried so hard to find a dildo in the reflection on your TV.
    I made sure I removed it before the picture! LOL

Forum Member

I've used both and prefer belt mounted. If I could slip it past my team leaders on tac I'd switch to a Safariland drop UBL and ditch the thigh rig all together. I used to wear my 6360 on a drop UBL for uniformed patrol but our newer car seats drove it up into my hips, so I switched back to a standard UBL.

Belt mounted just works for me and I used it for everything: uniformed patrol, soft clothed details, bike patrol, etc.

Civillian
    Have you tried the 2" drop adapters that work on your belt? I believe they're common within the LAPD.

Forum Member
    There is no situation in which a thigh holster will provide advantage for the patrolman. It hinders retention, drawing while seated is cumbersome at best, most wear it too low, and again, it provides zero advantage unless you are wearing entry armor.
    Narco and ERMedic like this.

Forum Member

^ What he said.
    11b101abn likes this.

Forum Member
    Kinda agree with 11b, only times id be wearing the thigh rig was on fixed post wearing interceptor vests with crotch shield. When on patrol id wear the hip holster.
    11b101abn likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrod711 View Post
    Kinda agree with 11b, only times id be wearing the thigh rig was on fixed post wearing interceptor vests with crotch shield. When on patrol id wear the hip holster.
    2 11Bs! had me confused there. I thought you were agreeing with me lol

Waingro...where is he?
    they look cool but no reason to use it unless youre wearing heavy armor. in addition to what 11b said should you fiind your gun drawn in a foot chase you can forget about holstering it.
    11b101abn likes this.
    Perseverate In Pugna

Forum Member
    I loved my thigh rig because it took a lot of weight directly off the belt and my waist/hips. My lower back is fubar'd so every little bit helps. However after somebody asking my Chief why someone from the SWAT team was out and about and playing 20 questions, I guess he decided to play politics and tell them he'd make me remove it or something. I told him I'd put my old one back on, and that he can tell whoever it was that they can come massage my lower back and pay my chiropractor bills.

Forum Member

Whether you choose a thigh or hip rig, I truly recommend, from nearly twenty years of range instruction/tac team, you practice your draw regularly and stick with one if applicable. To often I've seen guys show up on the range wearing their thigh rig, when they normally wear on hip, and exhibit a delay in drawing and often times have to look at the rig rather then keeping their eyes on the threat. Same goes with your backup carry, stick with one carry method and practice your draw as often as possible or before you go in service...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    Does anyone use this other than 11b? I've seen it and was wondering about it.
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Traveling Man
    I hate thigh holsters. I see no advantage for a patrol officer to have one.
    1*

SHU
    Forum Member
    I understand wanting to move it off your belt due to back pain but overall it is a very bad idea.

Forum Member

i wore a safariland drop-leg-holster for 1 year, our department gives us the choice between high-ride, low-ride and drop leg holster. It was great when wearing a outer vest carrier or riot-gear, but for normal basic patrol, it sucked, so i switched back to ma high-ride-holster. Especially when you´re walking the beat for longer periods, in a foot chase or when you´re climbing over an obstacle, it´s a pain in the a**. I looks tacti-cool, yes, but i couldn´t get to see the advantage.

Forum Member

Personally i prefer the hip mounted holster over a thigh rig. Anything i carry is level III retention to start with, which as we all know is much slower on the draw then lets say a level I or II. In draw speed i find the Hip holsters a bit faster, it cuts at least 2 feet off my draw, and when seconds count, an extra 1 second is too much for my liking. Some situations call for hip fire straight from the holster, IMO a thigh rig slows this a bit too much for me.

However i do find the thigh rigs a bit more comfy, especially in vehicular patrols when i dont exit the vehicle for extended periods of time.
    Last edited by broken_baton; 03-03-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 Last