Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By Chopshopcop
  • 3 Post By just joe
  • 3 Post By gopherpuckfan
  • 2 Post By sanitizer
  • 1 Post By Aust

Thread: Lesson in morale building (not)

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    sanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,575

    Lesson in morale building (not)

    http://www.sanjoseinside.com/news/en..._police_shirt/

    IPA (Independent Police Auditor) Takes Issue with Police Shirt Featuring Human Skull, Assault Rifles

    Interesting article, how would officers in your department react?

    Any comments?

    note: This was to be an undergarment (T-shirt) worn by a specialized unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sanitizer; 12-06-2012 at 11:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    2,556
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    501
    Meh, I don't have any problems with them but there will always be someone out there that will get all butt-hurt about that kind of stuff.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    815
    we used to have a bad @$$ shirt for our urban police rifle cadre with a skull and rifle....someone decided the skull was too much so that went away, not too long ago we dropped the "urban" from the police rifle program. It turns out its racist and offensive to imply urban areas need rifles.......
    "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

  5. #5
    Senior Veteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    TN USA
    Posts
    757
    Several years ago, one of the guys had some T-shirts made that had a skull wearing an 8 point cap and the words "MPD Death Squad"

    No one wore them in public, they were intended as a gag among us. One of my former classmates then murdered his wife. Wasn't wearing the shirt at the time, it had nothing to do with the crime whatsoever. But it was found in his closet and brought up repeatedly at trial by the prosecutor, exhibited and covered in the newspaper as "evidence" of his violent tendencies.

    Classmate is still in prison. The prosecutor is now a judge. My shirt still hangs in my closet. Still waiting for that evil T-shirt to manifest it's influence over me.
    nobodyjr, HI629 and Aust like this.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    7,009
    They are inappropriate for civilian police work. We are not the army (and yes, my army t-shirts had skulls and M-16s, etc.). The general populace does not want us portraying ourselves as killers and, while we sometimes have to kill people in the line of duty, we are not "killers." As noted above, whether true or not, if I were an atty I would be sure to note that someone wearing such a t-shirt was predisposed to finding the most violent ending to whatever scenario presented itself. In short, yes, I think they enforce negative stereotypes about the police.
    mac266, Seventy2002 and Che like this.

  7. #7
    Equal Height Equal Light

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by sanitizer View Post
    http://www.sanjoseinside.com/news/en..._police_shirt/

    IPA (Independent Police Auditor) Takes Issue with Police Shirt Featuring Human Skull, Assault Rifles

    Interesting article, how would officers in your department react?

    Any comments?

    note: This was to be an undergarment (T-shirt) worn by a specialized unit.
    Here's an article about the aforementioned "Independent Police Auditor" that should answer any lingering questions that you, gentle reader, might have about her character and priorities.

    http://www.sanjoseinside.com/news/en...ordell_police/

  8. #8
    Rah Rah Rah for Ski U Mah
    gopherpuckfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Posts
    1,166
    We have a civilian employee in Admin that didn't like the Viagra NASCAR jacket that one of our Sgts wore, so she complained about it. So, he went out and got hats, t-shirts, and jerseys to show support for his favorite college team.......the Gamecocks They like to shorten their names and get rid of the "Game" portion of it.
    Bunnel, HI629 and TheTick like this.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    sanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    Here's an article about the aforementioned "Independent Police Auditor" that should answer any lingering questions that you, gentle reader, might have about her character and priorities.

    http://www.sanjoseinside.com/news/en...ordell_police/
    Thanks for the link, reading post in http://www.sanjoseinside.com/ I came across the below post that mentions IPA.

    "THIS SHOULD BE A REAL MORALE BUILDER

    Want to complain about a San Jose cop? No problem if you are a San Jose resident. All you have to do is look inside your water or garbage bill…
    The IPA and Chuck sends you a card how to complain about a SJ officer. Amazing."


    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/vid...utility-bills/
    Last edited by sanitizer; 12-09-2012 at 03:36 PM.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    sanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,575
    Found a logical explanation regarding San Jose's Independent Police Auditor's interested in a specialize units T- shirts. http://meyerweed.blogspot.com

  11. #11
    Salty Dog

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    California Central Coast
    Posts
    6,929
    PDs do not need independent auditor or inspectors general. They already have it. It exists as the city council, city manager or mayor if the city has a strong mayor. If the overseeing government becomes displeased with the chief, they'll fire him. And if the community liked the chief, the voters will fire the council or mayor. And sheriffs have thousands of independent auditors who they answer to. Appointing a position like that has-been judge is just another sign that the mayor has no balls to directly deal with a police chief he dislikes.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

    I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

  12. #12
    Che
    Che is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
    PDs do not need independent auditor or inspectors general. They already have it. It exists as the city council, city manager or mayor if the city has a strong mayor. If the overseeing government becomes displeased with the chief, they'll fire him. And if the community liked the chief, the voters will fire the council or mayor. And sheriffs have thousands of independent auditors who they answer to. Appointing a position like that has-been judge is just another sign that the mayor has no balls to directly deal with a police chief he dislikes.
    Actually the Inspector General program works great in the military and does well in our enviroment. I am sure some good ole boys will object. In a small county you might get rid of a bad Sheriff but look at the large counties out west. The only way to get the Orange Co Sheriff out was for the Feds to arrest him. L.A. County Sheriff a few years back, died in office. He wasn't leaving until he made all his relatives Captains.

  13. #13
    Littering and...
    SinePari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Big Road
    Posts
    1,403
    We had a station that had trophy shots of large drug seizures posted on the wall in a secured area, out of public view. One day a command weenie doing staff inspections made light of the fact that it *could be* viewed as intimidating, and our sackless major had them taken down.

  14. #14
    Salty Dog

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    California Central Coast
    Posts
    6,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    Actually the Inspector General program works great in the military and does well in our enviroment. I am sure some good ole boys will object. In a small county you might get rid of a bad Sheriff but look at the large counties out west. The only way to get the Orange Co Sheriff out was for the Feds to arrest him. L.A. County Sheriff a few years back, died in office. He wasn't leaving until he made all his relatives Captains.
    Everyone, even far away from Orange County, knew that Corona was corrupt. An IG wouldn't have changed anything. An IG an't throw out the people's votes.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

    I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    59
    I think specialized logos as such build the warrior mindset. It shows that every person has put in their time and has earned being apart of that specialized unit. As long as they don't parade around town on duty with it on...

  16. #16
    Max Rockatansky
    Maverick1701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SE TX Panhandle
    Posts
    1,042
    wow some of these stories make me thankful for my Sheriff....he has the balls to tell people like that to shove it.
    Chris
    STEAM ID: MrManslaughter
    XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar


    http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    sanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick1701 View Post
    wow some of these stories make me thankful for my Sheriff....he has the balls to tell people like that to shove it.
    I’m sure everyone who’s worked for a politically correct, community agitator influenced administration with a self serving agenda will appreciate a newly suggested logo.

    NEW on left and OLD on right side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sanitizer; 12-14-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    SHU and HI629 like this.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    sanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by SinePari View Post
    We had a station that had trophy shots of large drug seizures posted on the wall in a secured area, out of public view. One day a command weenie doing staff inspections made light of the fact that it *could be* viewed as intimidating, and our sackless major had them taken down.
    Intimidating to whom, drug cartels?
    We must have worked at the same agency, what are the odds of two command weenie’s?

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    sanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,575
    Copy of the IPA (Independent Police Auditor) solicitation insert found in envelope with San Jose residents monthly garbage bill.



    [url=http://postimage.org/]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sanitizer; 12-16-2012 at 12:49 PM.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    736
    So does she hold the same standards for the thugs that SJPD polices? If a SJPD officer driving down the street made the same observation on a street thug, she would be yelling at the top of her lungs.

    I am soooo glad I live in Texas.
    Ut humiliter opinor

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Territory, Australia
    Posts
    21
    I feel your frustration Sanitizer, we have not got to that level yet.

    But you are able to get online here and file a complaint anonymously. Got to love the old fire and forget complaint. No accountability, just complain and it is investigated to the fullest.

    We drove around for a while with a complaint hotline number plastered down the side of the car and across the back window. The bosses couldn’t figure out why those particular cars weren’t being used.
    sanitizer likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register