Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By SgtCHP
  • 2 Post By RR_Security
  • 2 Post By HotSoup
  • 1 Post By KevinAndeys

Thread: Cellsphone numbers going to Telemarketers....

Forum Member

Cellsphone numbers going to Telemarketers....

REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.
    REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.
    It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years.
    You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON. It takes about 20 seconds.
    Please forward to family and friends.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made or based on my own thought and opinions.

It's Complicated
    My phone contract doesn't charge for incomming calls
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

I don't have a cell phone but I'm getting 25-30 calls a week for the past 3 months.
    Retired LASD

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Quote Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
    REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.
    REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.
    It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years.
    You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON. It takes about 20 seconds.
    Please forward to family and friends.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
    I think you should check out your stories before you post them as fact............

Peruse this: Cellphones and Telemarketers
    retired likes this.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired96 View Post
    I don't have a cell phone but I'm getting 25-30 calls a week for the past 3 months.
    Go to this site and register your cell phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

Student of Gerbil Voodoo
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    I think you should check out your stories before you post them as fact............
    Ditto; if SgtCHP hadn't posted the link to Snopes (Urban Legends Reference Pages), I would have. Any multi-generation forwarded email* should probably get run through Snopes, especially if it's full of ALL CAPS, or has three or more exclamation points in any sentence, or uses the phrase "SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU CARE ABOUT!!!!"
    If your own BS Detector is out of calibration, Snopes is a good substitute.

*"They" sent it to "them" who sent it to him/her who sent it to you, generally without removing the eight million other addresses who also got (and probably forwarded) a copy. A pox on them all, especially the butthead who first wrote it.
    Seventy2002 and Taylor13 like this.

Civilian
    And I would add that it is better to post a link to a legitimate video or article (if possible) and ask questions, rather than to post something that sounds alarmist.
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Forum Member
    @SgtCHP i take it one of your officers didn't meet their quto today. Sorry didn't have time to check it a guy from work sent out the email and was passing it on
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made or based on my own thought and opinions.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    @SgtCHP i take it one of your officers didn't meet their quto today. Sorry didn't have time to check it a guy from work sent out the email and was passing it on
    You are wrong to presume your first statement! A little time taken to review MY bio would disclose to you that I am retired! If you are unwilling to check out a rumor before you post it, then the simple fact is: DON'T POST IT!.

If you are offended at having made an error, don't try to sluff of your guilt on the postings of others. You seem to be digging that hole deeper! Besides, you have been around these forums for a long time and should know those others who have also been here.

BTW, have a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Deputy! Be safe and watch your six!
    Last edited by SgtCHP; 11-22-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    Go to this site and register your cell phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry
    I have done that for my landline phone number but it hasn't done any good... Don't own a cell phone. I read a article a few weeks ago and it indicated that about 70% of the companies were not checking the do not call registry.
    Last edited by Retired96; 11-22-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    Retired LASD

Forum Member

The gullibility virus strikes again.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired96 View Post
    I have done that for my landline phone number but it hasn't done any good... Don't own a cell phone. I read a article a few weeks ago and it indicated that about 70% of the companies were not checking the do not call registry.
    It's worked for my landline within the lettering of the law. The problem is that polling companies & political campaigns (self interest, anyone?) are exempted from the law. I'd like to see that part fixed.

Forum Member

I still get those telemarketer calls on my house phone all the damn time...that do not call list doesn't work
    retired and mavriktu like this.

Banned

Yes, there are a bunch of companies that don't check the do not call registry.

There is one company, I forget the name because it doesn't matter to me any more, but it's a New Jersey company.

You get a call that says "This is Sandy from your account services. Nothing is wrong with your credit account, but we can help you with blah blah blah, if you press 1"

If you press 1, you get some asshat who tries to sell you some garbage debt reduction stuff. It's essentially a phish for your information.

What really sucks about it is this. If you attempt to get them to identify their company, they just hang up on you. If you try to track their call, they're using one of those caller ID spoof devices, none of their numbers are real.

This company just refuses to give you real information and hangs up on you if you try to get them to stop.

Somehow they got my cell number a couple years ago and I got calls from them every week for years.

Banned

Here's a link to a forum talking about them.

It's "Card Member Services" that they always use.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/7206486004

Banned

I just did some research and we might see these calls decreasing soon.

Most robocalls have been illegal since 2009, however, companies have been using third parties to do the calls FOR them, and then routing the good sales onto them.

Now the FCC is trying to nail some of these companies on that in Federal court, arguing that through contract law, they are responsible for their subcontractor's illegal acts. If they can make this stick, any company that hires out to have robo calls will be legally liable anyway.

By the way, the FCC? That's one of those pesky government regulation agencies the conservatives want to cripple/do away with.

I bet Karl Rove doesn't get telemarketing calls at 7 AM.
    GWBJR likes this.

Student of Gerbil Voodoo
    As mentioned above, a lot of them are robocalls, just dialing away until they get a live person on the line. But if you ever get one with a humanoid (telemarketers are subhuman, but close enough) at the other end of the call, take a page from Tom Mabe: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s898wpcgcJM>

I heard the one called "Alphabet Poop," from his Revenge on the Telemarketers album, some years ago when he was interviewed on a Portland radio station. Not a good thing to have happen while I was driving.
    Ever since then, I've been waiting to use that routine on some unsuspecting telemarketer, but they don't call me anymore.
    Last edited by RR_Security; 11-22-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Forum Member
    The Tom Mabe bit where he acted like a police detective & the solicitor had called a crime scene was hilarious.

Banned

I did a bit more research ( I should be studying..... ) and I found a few people that have solved this by using something called SIT tones?

I'm not terribly clear on it, but apparently SIT is some sort of telecommunication tone or message that communicates that the line is disconnected, not in service. The robocall program will pick up on that and pull the number out of the database when they run through for dialing again.

It doesn't last forever, since they purge and restart the databases from time to time to recapture who they can, but if you're constantly getting harassed, you may want to google "SIT spoof telemarketer" or something like that and see if you can trick them into thinking your phone is disconnected.