Prior employment

Hey everyone, looking for a little advice on employment history. I've had a total of 6 jobs in approximately 8 years. I've never been fired or asked to resign and have a good reputation with all of my employers (to my best knowledge). I am currently 22 and have an interview set up next week for a much better paying job than the one I'm at now.

My main concern is that I'm wondering if police departments i apply to say that I have had too many jobs. I was a full time college student for 4 years up until this past May since I'm currently completing an internship. I had a full time job during the summer while on breaks and had a couple more jobs to fill up my time, including the one I just got last month since my seasonal job ended and did not want a period of unemployment.

Any words of advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiguy27 View Post
    Hey everyone, looking for a little advice on employment history. I've had a total of 6 jobs in approximately 8 years. I've never been fired or asked to resign and have a good reputation with all of my employers (to my best knowledge). I am currently 22 and have an interview set up next week for a much better paying job than the one I'm at now.

My main concern is that I'm wondering if police departments i apply to say that I have had too many jobs. I was a full time college student for 4 years up until this past May since I'm currently completing an internship. I had a full time job during the summer while on breaks and had a couple more jobs to fill up my time, including the one I just got last month since my seasonal job ended and did not want a period of unemployment.

Any words of advice?

If all of these jobs were when you were a full time school student...............its not a big deal
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

Forum Member
    College students change jobs frequently and for a variety of reasons. It should not be a big deal.

Before I got hired, I had a total of 9 jobs between my first job at 17 and the one I was working when I got the call at 24. A BI from a different department told me my work history was very good because I didn't have lapses between jobs and school and sometimes had two jobs at once. Don't sweat it. Not everyone is lucky enough to find an amazing job that they can work every summer while they go to school.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiguy27 View Post

Any words of advice?
    So you're saying you've had six jobs since you were about 14? If you left them all under good terms, I'd say it's completely a non-issue. That actually strikes me as rather low. I had a different job every summer as a kid. Regardless, as long as they were legitimate jobs and you weren't slangin' llello on the corner, I can't imagine why any department would put much weight in your employment history from when you were literally a child. If anything it just shows that you're not lazy and actually feel like being gainfully employed, unlike much of America's youth today.

Thanks for the replies everyone. And yeah looking back, I am pretty lucky to have a decent paying summer job to go back to every year. Not so worried about this anymore.

Che
    Forum Member
    At 22 do not sweat the job thing. It is different if you was 31 and had 8 jobs in 6 years.

Good luck, Chicago PD is pretty awesome, BTW ...