Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Michigan
  • 1 Post By Rudy8116
  • 1 Post By JJHunsacker
  • 2 Post By seth0687
  • 1 Post By Iowa #1603
  • 2 Post By Rudy8116

Thread: I am here for controversial discussions.

Forum Member

I am here for controversial discussions.

I spend a lot of time reading articles, research papers, blogs, etc..., and love to engage in discussions on matters that a lot of people consider controversial. I look forward to having stimulating, respectfull discussions that are based on reason.

I also have a TON of questions about law enforcement, and probably follow up questions after that, which will hopefully lead to even further discussion and learning.

I figured Ask-A-Cop was the place, but it doesn't look like that is a place for a two-sided discussion, so I am not really sure where the best place to post a list of 20-50 questions where someone can pick which ones they want to answer and/or discuss. If anyone has a suggestions for a thread like that please let me know.

Thanks for hosting me and Good Luck!!!

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by DntTzeMeBro View Post
    I spend a lot of time reading articles, research papers, blogs, etc..., and love to engage in discussions on matters that a lot of people consider controversial. I look forward to having stimulating, respectfull discussions that are based on reason.

I also have a TON of questions about law enforcement, and probably follow up questions after that, which will hopefully lead to even further discussion and learning.

I figured Ask-A-Cop was the place, but it doesn't look like that is a place for a two-sided discussion, so I am not really sure where the best place to post a list of 20-50 questions where someone can pick which ones they want to answer and/or discuss. If anyone has a suggestions for a thread like that please let me know.

Try the Offduty forums.

What's your take on abortion, religion and politics?
    sgt jon likes this.
    Certified troll.

Forum Member

Thank you for the suggestion on offduty forums.

Abortion is a really tough one. It is obvious to me that a fetus is life. But so is water, sperm, and eggs. On the other side of the coin I have a strong belief in liberty and the freedom of choice. Most issues I try to reason out, but on this one I go with my gut and say that the individual situation needs to be judged for moral justification. I can't legally justify making it illegal for anyone to get an abortion.

Abortion is also used as a wedge issue by politicians on both sides. Ideally in a free society citizens would recognize the importance of remaining calm and respectfull when dealing with these issues. We have missed the mark on that as well.

Religion on the other hand is really cut and dry with me. If your religion is the bible, koran, nascar, lsd, alcohol, political ideaology, or yourself, I have no business interfering with it at all and I don't really care. I like when the holy rollers knock on my door most of the time. I will invite them in, let them make their pitch, listen and ask questions, and surprise surprise usually learn something as well. Of course I think they are wrong about a lot of their beliefs, or I would be subscribing to them. But this does not stop me from respecting them, or trying to take all the good I can from their message. Also, most people do not represent their religions very well at all, but I guess that is why we have them in the first place.

Politics is a real goat ehhhh..... party. I try to take the aproach of principal based reasoning when formulating opinions. Individual liberty is the principal I value most, so that will always take the highest priority. People are to quick to think there ideas are so good we should force people at gunpoint to obey them.

G-14 Classified
    What's your take on Twinkies?
    asullivan likes this.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

According to Bob Costas, Sandusky's penis raped those boys, not Sandusky.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy8116 View Post
    If they aren't harming others, people should be able to live their lives any way they choose...
    TheTick likes this.

G-14 Classified
    Took me a second to get that. Thank goodness I didn't ask about their cream filling.

Always Learning

Skeptical about this one I am...
    Rudy8116 and Trauma1 like this.

Forum Member
    The Ask a Cop forum should be fun reading going forward.

G-14 Classified
    Has it ever NOT been?

It's Complicated

come on...............................DONT TAZE ME BRO

A similar screen name got banned a few months ago ..............................
    Resq14 likes this.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    Isn't the company that makes Twinkies going out of business. I thought I read an article about Hostess or Drakes going out of business. I hope they sell to another company because I caouldnt live a life without twinkies and cupcakes.
    NYPD Exam 1315
    List # 10**
    APD-5: Finalized

City of Stamford, CT
    Rank 20

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vin52 View Post
    Isn't the company that makes Twinkies going out of business. I thought I read an article about Hostess or Drakes going out of business. I hope they sell to another company because I caouldnt live a life without twinkies and cupcakes.
    I think a bakers union went on strike, Hostess said they'd liquidate if they didn't come back to work, the union called their bluff, and the company followed through. Those names are assets though, and they can be sold. Probably to some company in China...

Civillian
    Thank you for the suggestion on offduty forums.

Abortion is a really tough one. It is obvious to me that a fetus is life. But so is water, sperm, and eggs. On the other side of the coin I have a strong belief in liberty and the freedom of choice. Most issues I try to reason out, but on this one I go with my gut and say that the individual situation needs to be judged for moral justification. I can't legally justify making it illegal for anyone to get an abortion.

Abortion is also used as a wedge issue by politicians on both sides. Ideally in a free society citizens would recognize the importance of remaining calm and respectfull when dealing with these issues. We have missed the mark on that as well.

Religion on the other hand is really cut and dry with me. If your religion is the bible, koran, nascar, lsd, alcohol, political ideaology, or yourself, I have no business interfering with it at all and I don't really care. I like when the holy rollers knock on my door most of the time. I will invite them in, let them make their pitch, listen and ask questions, and surprise surprise usually learn something as well. Of course I think they are wrong about a lot of their beliefs, or I would be subscribing to them. But this does not stop me from respecting them, or trying to take all the good I can from their message. Also, most people do not represent their religions very well at all, but I guess that is why we have them in the first place.

Politics is a real goat ehhhh..... party. I try to take the aproach of principal based reasoning when formulating opinions. Individual liberty is the principal I value most, so that will always take the highest priority. People are to quick to think there ideas are so good we should force people at gunpoint to obey them.
    so basically you stand for nothing. those were a lot of words with no clear stance. you should run for public office or maybe write the horoscope for your local paper

G-14 Classified
    Quote Originally Posted by JJHunsacker View Post
    I think a bakers union went on strike, Hostess said they'd liquidate if they didn't come back to work, the union called their bluff, and the company followed through. Those names are assets though, and they can be sold. Probably to some company in China...
    Actually they may get sold to a Mexican company.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seth0687 View Post
    Skeptical about this one I am...
    Yeah, I got the popcorn ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperST
    "The fail is strong with this one."

Forum Member
    They will STILL be made and sold up here; one more reason for you o.com'ers to come North!
    1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29: RCMP RM 32936. Just callin' 'em as I sees 'em! PM full - e-mail me. House paid, best health of my life, 33+ years married to the same hot woman, triple-dipping, lots of grand-kids, long dark luxurious hair - yep, retired is EXCELLENT!

G-14 Classified
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick azz...And I'm alllll out of bubblegum.
    asullivan and slsteiner88 like this.

Professor of Stuff
    Took me a second to get that. Thank goodness I didn't ask about their cream filling.
    I do tha' "filling with cream"...

They used ta' run like hell, but now they just roll ova' and comply.
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jannino View Post
    so basically you stand for nothing. those were a lot of words with no clear stance. you should run for public office or maybe write the horoscope for your local paper
    I reason from principal and the one I value most is individual liberty.

Professor of Stuff
    Actually they may get sold to a Mexican company.

YummY'z, taco'z flavored twinkies dipped in pickLe's juiCe...

I reason from principal and the one I value most is individual liberty.

Liberty ta' cut da' holes outta' donut'z!!!!

Where in da' hell, have ya' stached em'z??, ya' gubb'in pinko commie..

Last edited by asullivan; 11-29-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: IzGunnableeD'zya'outsslOwlikes
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.