Forum Member

Background Investigation & Facebook/Social Media

I posted this in a reply to someone in the California section, but thought it might be better posted here to a broader audience. Hope it helps some of you folks looking to get hired. Good luck, be safe.

I didn't see it mentioned, so let me hit on something here. When you apply to a law enforcement agency, part of the background process is having you sign a privacy waiver that allows the agency to look into any part of your life. This includes Facebook. Most people don't know that Facebook has a section dedicated solely to matters of this nature. So if you have a "private" Facebook, don't assume your investigating agency won't be able to get into it. They simply need to fax over your signed privacy waiver and voila, your account is unlocked to them. When you think about it, as big as Facebook is, it's not surprising at all that they would have a section dedicated to this. My suggestion is this: Surround yourself with decent people. Tell your friends not to put up pictures of you (You can change this in your settings, so that you have to allow them to be able to "tag" you in a photo). If you've got anyone on your Facebook that you wouldn't want your investigating agency to know about, GET RID OF THEM. They're not worth having as friends.

If your investigating agency absolutely prohibits Facebook, than it should be deleted. Don't think you can bypass the requirement by using a fake name and/or email address. It WILL come back to bite you in the rear. Think ahead to the future when you're taking your polygraph or voice stress analysis test - there's one magic question on there that is a catch-all: "Were you honest and truthful with all of your answers on your application and during the background investigation?".

Good luck, and like I said, the best way to ensure that Facebook doesn't sink you, is to either delete it altogether, or make sure your "friends" and your photos don't show you in a negative light.

Forum Member

good stuff bro, thanks

Forum Member
    Can you delete it though? Can't they just ask you to reactivate the account?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by semper03 View Post
    Can you delete it though? Can't they just ask you to reactivate the account?
    This is true. It is a deactivate only. You can delete posts,pics, friends, etc. however.

Forum Member

You can delete your account. Go into the help section and type delete. Gives a link to follow.

Forum Member
    Just be smart and don't use Facebook! It's soo not worth it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scuba4321 View Post
    Just be smart and don't use Facebook! It's soo not worth it.
    I'm with you. I had it for a short while decided that no one should have that much access to you and dumped it. I haven't looked back since, life is better without facebook.
    1811 or bust