Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Breaching tools

St. Cloud Proud!

Breaching tools

Soooo had a welfare check the other night that ended up with me kicking the door in. It was a metal apartment door with two deadbolts. I ended up hurting my knee in the process and am now looking for input on other ways of forcing entry through an inward opening door (these are the majority that I've come across). I was thinking a sledge would get the job done, but wanted to see what y'all thought. Thanks in advance!
    In Valor there is hope

Off topic poster
    Ample amounts of C4 works for breaching. Or, blackhawk sells a breaching tool kit. Breaching, I feel like a SWAT guy with as many times as I said breaching in this post.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Haha. Could rename it better way to smash down a door without injury. Breaching seemed easier
    In Valor there is hope

RIP Seann1
    The Fire Department

Krell and RyanNREMTP like this.

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

Forum Member

For the first 20 years of my career I was involved in 2 exigent circumstance forced enties. Over the last 4 years, it has been 2 per year. The big problem is that in my agency, we receive basically no training on how to get through doors. There seems to be an assumption that patrol officers do not need to be able to do this. We actually have some breaching tools in the district, and as of last month, a few guys were actually taken out and trained how to use them, which is a better situation than existed previously, but not by much.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    If your department is cash-strapped (and who isn't these days?) breaching tools have also been available, at times, on the DLA (DRMO) government surplus website. Otherwise, raid your evidence/property room for sledgehammers, crowbars, bolt-cuttters, etc.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Caution: Unvetted member.
    I used to serve evictions a few years ago. There was no door that could keep me, and my sledge hammer out.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenW. View Post
    I used to serve evictions a few years ago. There was no door that could keep me, and my sledge hammer out.
    What kind/size hammer did you use? I'm leaning towards a 12#. We force 2-3 doors a month, wears on the knees haha
    In Valor there is hope

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq14 View Post
    The Fire Department

Good lord, be waiting all night for them to finish their dinner and video games
    Resq14 likes this.
    In Valor there is hope

Caution: Unvetted member.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    What kind/size hammer did you use? I'm leaning towards a 12#. We force 2-3 doors a month, wears on the knees haha
    I don't know. 8-10 lbs maybe? Got more use from my Stanley Fubar demolition hammer. easier to carry too.

For doors without deadbolts, knock off the knob and manipulate the bolt with your multitool.
    if you have deadbolts, hit it really hard with the sledge and splinter the jamb.

My court orders usually said to "enter the dwelling using the least detructive means necessary".

The plaintiff would often spring for a locksmith. Then you have to consider their safety when someone might be barricaded inside to keep from being kicked out. Good times!
    Last edited by KenW.; 11-12-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member
    The New York Fire Department's Forcible Entry Reference Guide will tell you what you need.

Forum Member

The problem I've run into with sledgehammers is where you're in a space too tight to get a decent sideways swing.

Wirehead

Halligan Bar

Not just for firefighters. See if your agency has one, could be convinced to get one, or at the very least get one yourself and talk to the firefighters on how to use one to make entry. You'd be surprised how much quicker you can get in a door when you're pulling it with the metal duckbill pry as opposed to simply pounding at it.
    Rush817 likes this.
    SCHP TCO

Freemason

Forum Member
    I keep a Blackhawk ram and a halligan bar in my Tahoe. I encourage all my guys to keep some type of breaching tool in their vehicle. You'd be surprised at what you can get from the property clerk if you just asked. Stuff the would just get tossed anyways.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Forum Member

I've seen some pretty impressive "homemade" battering rams.

It's fairly low tech...all you need is a good chuck of heavy steel about 30 inches long or so, a head on one or both ends, and some handles to pick the thing up with. Any decent metalworker ought to be able to weld one up.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krell View Post
    Halligan Bar

Not just for firefighters. See if your agency has one, could be convinced to get one, or at the very least get one yourself and talk to the firefighters on how to use one to make entry. You'd be surprised how much quicker you can get in a door when you're pulling it with the metal duckbill pry as opposed to simply pounding at it.
    all our FD crews have one, they wont come up/in until the scene is secure though. they generally stage down the street. Aren't the halligans pretty pricey?
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin436 View Post
    I've seen some pretty impressive "homemade" battering rams.

It's fairly low tech...all you need is a good chuck of heavy steel about 30 inches long or so, a head on one or both ends, and some handles to pick the thing up with. Any decent metalworker ought to be able to weld one up.

Fence Post Driver from the Tractor Supply or local DIY Store.

Small bag of concrete to fill the tube and your GTG. Works great and is cheap and easy to manufacture - ask me how I know... : )
    Last edited by halfacop; 11-14-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    Resq14 and TheTick like this.
    There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Wirehead

Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    all our FD crews have one, they wont come up/in until the scene is secure though. they generally stage down the street. Aren't the halligans pretty pricey?
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/ca...ans-Pry-Tools/

High-end ones around $400 but you can get some for less than $200
    SCHP TCO

Freemason

Forum Member

I saw an impressive "homemade" ram in Montana a few years back.

It was made from a 3 foot section of railroad track and either end had bolt holes drilled for the purpose of attaching whatever sort of head, blade or accessory one could dream up and make. There were four fold-away, drop handles attached. It weighed a good 150 pounds.

2-4 guys swinging the thing would pop just about any door I've seen. Heck, they could have skipped the doors and breached the walls with that monster.

Forum Member

What everyone else said.

Plus, if you HAVE to kick a door, Mule kick it.
    ChiTownDet likes this.
    If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    What everyone else said.

Plus, if you HAVE to kick a door, Mule kick it.
    That's how I hurt my knee haha
    In Valor there is hope

"Retired"
    Ram, 20-25 lb. Sledge, Chicago bar will about cover any doors, burglar gates, steel doors. When I worked one unit we must have did about 100 forced entries on just about evry type of door.

Forum Member

Sledge hammer, halligan, bolt cutters and a Dead On Annihilatorcsuper hammer.

http://www.google.com/search?q=dead+...Z3mdDsoAu8zLM:
    "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Forum Member

We had a pretty big apartment fire in my area last year and I used a Halligan to get through the doors, even used it like a battering ram a couple times. Worked very well.

Salty Dog

A Stanley FUBAR Fat Max demolition tool is a good prybar and can also rip a lot of door knobs right off the door.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last