• 1 Post By NuBoot1035
  • 2 Post By ArmyDiver
  • 1 Post By Ra1nMak3R
  • 1 Post By 11B250
  • 1 Post By TheChickCop

Thread: stressed out!

Forum Member

stressed out!

I am in the 2nd phase of FTO and stressed out like crazy. It seems every time I do one little thing wrong the FTO is on top of me for it. They also want us to do homework and study on our time off. I cannot relax while at home because I keep thinking about work and that leads to lack of sleep as well. Any help or suggestions?

Just know it will be over soon and you will be on your own. Stress is a part of the job and there will be days when you get everything right and some days everything goes wrong. I am in my shadow phase now and I am still struggling going through a freaking traffic stop without messing up. But as long as your mistakes are not Officer Safety issues or violating someone's civil rights, just drive on and make the next call better.

Stay safe and good luck.

Your FTO is supposed to let you know when you eff up. They are there to correct you so you don't continue to eff up and they teach you important things so you can survive when you go solo. Some of it is stressful yes, but its nothing that should cause you to loose sleep at home, was it like that for you while in the academy as well?
    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Quote Originally Posted by lpstopper View Post
    Some of it is stressful yes, but its nothing that should cause you to loose sleep at home, was it like that for you while in the academy as well?
    There is a reason the gray god's academy and mine are what they are.....

Where is my patch bro?
    lpstopper likes this.

Forum Member
    It's all part of the game. Don't expect or seek recognition for what you do right. What you're experiencing is not out of the ordinary. However, one lesson you need to learn, and learn it quickly, is accept the fact that you messed up, try not do it again, and move on to the next call. If you let the thoughts of you messing up linger and follow you on the next call, well all you're focused on is what you think you're supposed to do and you become a) paranoid about doing things to the letter or b) you nut up.

Trust me when you move on to being on your own, you'll laugh at it all.
    ArmyDiver likes this.

If you're not being paid to do said homework, I wouldn't do it. I dunno, I don't work for free. Studying, on the other hand, only benefits you. You can never have too much knowledge. Be a sponge, take it all in. Take your criticism with an open mind and closed mouth. Digest what you did wrong and don't repeat it.

You're supposed to be stressed. This is a new job and you're learning new skills. Your FTO isn't supposed to be your friend... he's your teacher. He's teaching you how to not end up dead, fired, or in jail. These are important things to not mess up... listen closely and take them to heart. He's not being a d**k, he's doing his job. He's going to nit pick the snot out of everything you do... deal with it, learn from it, and move on. You can adapt and create your own personal style of doings things later. For now, do it how he wants it.

It will go by fast and you'll be relieved when it's finished. Then you'll be even more relieved when you get off probation. You're not expected to be perfect, nobody is. You're just expected to learn from your mistakes and try to not make them again. Too easy. Nut up and go get some. You'll be fine.
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

You're just expected to learn from your mistakes and try to not make them again. Too easy. Nut up and go get some. You'll be fine.
    Man, it's part of the job and part of being new. This job is all about stress management, and how you react when all the pressure is on. Your FTO's are looking to see how you handle pressure and unexpected detail. They're trying to feel you out. Go get it bro!
    R.I.P. #2083, You will never be forgotten.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Matt. 5:9

Inmates seem really into counting the number of officers it took to take them down. If only their love of math had blossomed earlier.

Forum Member
    If having to study up on how to do the job and being critiqued are stressing you out you're not going to last in this business. This job consists of a lot of training and you're constantly being critiqued...by the public, by your peers, by your supervisors and most importantly you should be critiquing yourself.

This job can get you killed. A lot of officers study and train in their off duty/down time. It's the LEO sacrifice that a lot of people talk about. It's not just a job, it's not a career...it's a calling. The stress will only grow when you're riding solo and you're the first one on scene of a hot call and are surrounded by screaming people, blood, gunfire, fire and/or death.
    flhtbill likes this.

Forum Member
    What ever you do, do not start minimizing how much you do to avoid scrutiny. I see that happen a lot and the recruit makes it off FTO and then if clueless as to how to actually be the real Police. Do as much as you can with the FTO take the critisism for what it is and continue to improve. Being a trainee with out a clue is normal. Being a 5-10 year veteran with out a clue is unacceptable and rampant.

Go out and get into as much as you can and do your best. If it is not the job for you you will find out and it is okay this is not for everyone. Don't be the guy who eeks by doing as little as possible and rips off the people they are supposed to be providing Police services to.

Forum Member
    just how it is bud. my phase 1,2,4 FTO is a really chill guy. he's always joking with everyone etc.

but when it comes to me making a mistake, he'd yell at me and say stuff like he's not sure if i'm gonna make FTO and all, stressing me out.

just part of the game. because of him pushing me and stressing me out like that, I know the city streets better than people who have been there for a few years. lol

and you bet your *** there is homework. you gotta start learning those SOP/GOs and working on the fine wording on the statutues!
    ayoco likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra1nMak3R View Post
    The stress will only grow when you're riding solo and you're the first one on scene of a hot call and are surrounded by screaming people, blood, gunfire, fire and/or death.

yup... that's when you wish your FTO was there telling you what he needs you to do lol.

Forum Member
    I got along with all my FTOs. I have been solo since June 17th. I made mistakes and I got critisized. I got stressed ay myself for messing up and being called out on it. However, I learned that instead of stressing out about getting nit picked I was going to work my A** off to get it perfect (well as best as I could). My goal was to study and do my own homework on scenarios, geography and everything else. I came on shift asking questions and where I struggled I asked to do fake scenarios. If i messed up and knew it I would ask for critiques. They weren't always pleasant, but I learned. I am a 100% new cop. I have only been a cop since March and I will say that my FTO program was the best thing to prepare me. I strongly encourage you to do homework and study what you are struggling with or getting critiqued on.

I work in a higher crme rate area and the placed I got critiqued on I remember. I have gotten into a few fights, nothing major, but I went back to my training and many times it has been were I once messed up (even a tiny bit) and it made a world of difference for my safety.

You got this. You are almost there. In a few short weeks you will be well prepared to go solo and READY to get out there with confidence.
    slsteiner88 likes this.

Forum Member
    I would say phase 2 is the hardest. coming from that 'orientation phase' into first time doing everything on your own with no knowledge of it.

I'm in shadow phase now, and there are still so many things I just don't know because I haven't witnessed them. with time, you will learn. hopefully you are always within policy so if you do make a mistake, you can tell them you did it by your SOPs