Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wombat650

Thread: Anyone using car locator systems (GPS) on their patrol cars

Forum Member

Anyone using car locator systems (GPS) on their patrol cars

My department is getting ready to start using "ACL" car locator system. We have not went through the training yet so I don't have the details on which system we will be using. I did get a sneak peak and I can see some benifits. Just looking for thoughts of officers already using systems like this.
    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Forum Member
    My dept uses GPS/AVL (Automated vehicle locater?). Its nice for dispatch to find the nearest units to dispatch priority calls, see who can get where the fastest, see who you just passed, see where peoples hiding spots are and other little games. Luckily, we don't have to worry about admin "spying" or speed tracking or anything disciplinary like that. However, the nice thing is its patched onto google maps so it shows where our calls are if its unfamiliar territory. You can just click the symbol to zoom in or get directions.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7W897 View Post
    My dept uses GPS/AVL (Automated vehicle locater?). Its nice for dispatch to find the nearest units to dispatch priority calls, see who can get where the fastest, see who you just passed, see where peoples hiding spots are and other little games. Luckily, we don't have to worry about admin "spying" or speed tracking or anything disciplinary like that. However, the nice thing is its patched onto google maps so it shows where our calls are if its unfamiliar territory. You can just click the symbol to zoom in or get directions.
    We have that linked to our Mobile Data Terminal with an "officer needs assistance" button and as soon as we come up in pursuit it also tracks our speed. As well as our communications centre it's possible for the supervisor to track units from his/her pc. I see it as another piece of equipment aimed at officer safety.
    37979 likes this.

Forum Member

I know that the Brookline PD used a software technology called PublicEye with GPS built-in a map object layers with real time information like buildings, fire hydrants, surveillance camera connection and Real-Time GPS unit tracking. These are great tools for task collaboration

Professor of Stuff
    It called Low-jack...same, same, 'cept no telemetry stuffy. just 10-20...
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.